Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Douglas Kerr - Stem cells regrow damaged nerves in rats: study

Dr. Douglas Kerr - Stem cells regrow damaged nerves in rats: study

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2095585

Stem cells regrow damaged nerves in rats: study

Jun 19, 2006 — WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Stem cells taken from mouse embryos have helped paralyzed rats move again, researchers said on Monday.

The study was the best evidence so far that controversial embryonic stem cells might be used to treat people with spinal cord and other traumatic injuries, the researchers said.

"This study provides a 'recipe' for using stem cells to reconnect the nervous system," Dr. Douglas Kerr of The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine said in a statement.

"It raises the notion that we can eventually achieve this in humans, although we have a long way to go … We found that we needed a combination of all of the treatments in order to restore function."

Kerr and colleagues used a soup of compounds called growth factors to cause stem cells from the mouse embryos to develop into a type of nerve cell called a motor neuron.

Writing in the Annals of Neurology, they said the transplanted cells, combined with the right mix of compounds, helped paralyzed rats regrow some of their nerve cells and use their hind legs.

"This work is a remarkable advance that can help us understand how stem cells might be used to treat injuries and disease and begin to fulfill their great promise," said Dr. Elias Zerhouni, director of the National Institutes of Health, which funded the study.

More...
    This is what I need; I need a few motor neurons. - Why isn’t more being done with respect to studies like this when we have seen several promising animal studies using such cells, including this study? What is holding up this research?

Here is more:

Video of mouse;
    http://hopkinsneuro.org/tm/edu_embryonic_win.cfm

Video - Rewiring the Nervous System to Restore Movement by Dr. Douglas Kerr and Dr. Adam Caplin;
    http://hopkinsneuro.org/restore/kerr-windows.cfm

Profile Dr. Kerr;
    http://hopkinsneuro.org/tm/doc.cfm?i=21
    Last edited by Leif; 06-20-2006 at 07:11 AM.

I like how the media add the word 'rats walking AGAIN' now to their releases. lol That video has been on that website for more than a year. I have TM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I went to meet DR. KERR he is the only DR. who really knows anything about TM. Drove 5 hours to see him paid 800 dollars for seeing him. I really didnt learn to much more then i already knew about TM. But he said he is working with stem cells and time will tell with the rats. That was 3 years ago. anty
    Be always determined in Life and Love

Sorry if I offended anybody with my post regarding rats and important studies like this. It will not happen again, I will also phone and email Dr. Kerr and other researchers and tell them to stop all their mouse, rat and animal research including stem cell research immediately. But if you have problems with the tempo of this research, do something about it! PS. The videos were also added by me, they were not included in the new article. - Go outside and play with some Moose or something…
    Last edited by Leif; 06-20-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Sorry Leif - wasn't offended here. My moose has gone to work. I must sleep from my midnight shift. Have a great day!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Sorry if I offended anybody with my post regarding rats and important studies like this. It will not happen again, I will also phone and email Dr. Kerr and other researchers and tell them to stop all their mouse, rat and animal research including stem cell research immediately. But if you have problems with the tempo of this research, do something about it! PS. The videos were also added by me, they were not included in the new article. - Go outside and play with some Moose or something…
    Thank you Leif!

BTW I haven't seen any walking rats coming out of Dr. Young's lab based on original research.

In my book Keirstead, Kerr, McDonald and the Miami Project are on the ball and way ahead of the game.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Thank you Leif!

BTW I haven't seen any walking rats coming out of Dr. Young's lab based on original research.

In my book Keirstead, Kerr, McDonald and the Miami Project are on the ball and way ahead of the game.
    Why is Faye so derogatory about Dr. Young's lab? Is this personal? Does Faye have a point? Could the point be made in a less snide fashion, to persuade rather than alienate the readers?

Keirstead, Kerr, MacDonald and MP are all doing good work. I applaud them. I just don't see how Faye's constant denigration of the Keck Center contributes anything.

Sorry to get off topic. Thanks for posting, Leif.

Here's another article on the same thing, just a different take:

Neurons grown from embryonic stem cells restore function in paralyzed rats http://www.physorg.com/news70026162.html

This should be good evidence to refute those who believe that the NIH does not fund important projects, or does not need to be completely funded at levels equal to or above those six years ago.

One more thing. Two seminal quotes from the above article:

-snip--
    "We found that we needed a combination of all of the treatments in order to restore function," Dr. Kerr says.

The rats that had received the full cocktail of treatments – transplanted motor neurons, rolipram, dbcAMP, and GDNF-secreting neural stem cells in the sciatic nerve – had several hundred transplant-derived axons extending into the peripheral nervous system, more than in any other group. ... In contrast, none of the rats given other combinations of treatments recovered lost function.
    -snip---

I would love to see clinical trials with more combinations closer on the horizon. Especially with all the different molecules and proteins researchers are discovering lately.

Great post. Thanks Leif!