Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Douglas Kerr - Stem cells regrow damaged nerves in rats: study

Timelines...

As Dr. Young has told us about a million times, no one can give a specific date with any accuracy but things are changing and at least there are laboratories who are putting out timelines which probably wasn't the case just a few years ago. I know it's not as fast as any of us would like, and may not be happening in the US but at least it's happening.

I am attaching a PDF that I received a while back regarding Dr. McDonald's NTT project in Colombia, South America. It has a specific timeline on the last page which is pretty bold. In my opinion, this timeline is lightspeed compared to most and this is a project we should all be trying to help move forward.

Thumbs up

I am attaching a PDF that I received a while back regarding Dr. McDonald's NTT project in Colombia, South America. It has a specific timeline on the last page which is pretty bold. In my opinion, this timeline is lightspeed compared to most and this is a project we should all be trying to help move forward.[/quote]

This is indeed exciting news, or at least exciting news to me. I wasn't familiar with Dr. McDonald's work in Colombia yet. Thanx, Carl
    Step up, stand up for:
    http://www.stepnow.org

'He not busy being born is busy dying." <Bob Dylan>

Quote Originally Posted by artsyguy1954
    This is indeed exciting news, or at least exciting news to me. I wasn't familiar with Dr. McDonald's work in Colombia yet. Thanx, Carl
    Here is a thread; http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=60954

A little bit more regarding the thread here; http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-06-22-voa40.cfm

And some more;

http://www.bestsyndication.com/Artic...d_injuries.htm

I don't think the paper is ready yet for the July issue online.
    Last edited by Leif; 06-23-2006 at 10:19 AM.

Rats walk but money waits

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Paralyzed rats are walking again, thanks to a new stem cell treatment; that's big news for the medical community ... and a 10-year wait for anybody wanting to make a buck off it.

Dr. Douglas Kerr, assistant professor of neurology at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, used experimental stem cell technology to successfully repair lab rats' damaged spines, restoring mobility to their legs.

If scientists are able to repeat this success in humans, stem cells could eventually be used to help paralyzed patients walk again, even in cases where spinal cords are severed by motorcycle accidents, sports injuries or war wounds. Kerr's experiment gives hope to a broad range of therapies for the rebuilding of kneecaps, brain cells, and even the pancreas in diabetics. Stem cells are being considered as treatments for multiple sclerosis and brain damage, and diseases like Lou Gehrig's, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

Geron Corp. (down $0.13 to $6.25, Charts), StemCells Inc. (down $0.03 to $1.94, Charts), Aastrom Biosciences Inc. (down $0.05 to $1.18, Charts) and ViaCell, Inc. (down $0.10 to $4.28, Charts) are some of the lead biotechs in stem cell research, but analysts say that it's going to take years before they're able to turn recent breakthroughs into revenue.

"People get excited when there are scientific advancements like this, and you need that excitement to get investors interested in companies like these," said Ben Weintraub, analyst for Noble Financial Group. "But they need to understand that translating an advance like that from preclinical study into human medicine is a process that takes at least 10 years."

The money-making question for analysts is not just when, but how. Stem cell companies are not like Big Pharma, or even other biotechs, that make and sell drugs. These companies would probably use their technology in conjunction with a patient's own cells in order to treat them.

"The other important thing that investors need to realize is that the business model for stem cell companies is still a bit of an enigma," said Weintraub. "The business model of selling someone their own cells is still uncertain. It's not like a drug that you can sell someone for $40,000 a year."

StemCells is working on "off the shelf" stem cells that could be stored and sold to patients, said Weintraub. "That's a little bit clearer business model [compared to its competitors,] but the worry is that someone else's cells off the shelf are not going to be as good as your own," he said.

Steve Brozak, analyst for WBB Securities, said that Geron is the strongest company in the stem cell business because it has done the best job of protecting its developments through patents. But there's also the issue of international competitiveness. Brozak is concerned that American companies haven't done enough to research these emerging technologies and will soon be swept under by foreign competitors, who could be making discoveries unknown to us.

"The one thing we have to fear is what's going on overseas," said Brozak. "While the U.S. companies are sleeping, what [international] private or state enterprises are advancing stem cell research?"

But stem cell research, along with the overall abortion debate, is a controversial subject in the United States. This friction often surfaces in questions of federal funding. That, analysts argue, puts U.S. research efforts at a disadvantage to overseas competition.

Brozak said the U.S. government's lack of enthusiasm in getting up to speed with stem cell technologies isn't doing any favors for patients or biotechs.

"You tell me how long it takes the FDA to figure out what it's doing and you tell me how long it takes the politicians to get some spinal development," said Brozak.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/22/news...nies/stemcell/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan194
    Question for people.
    Is Douglas Kerr allowed to do a trial version of this on a paralzed person.
    Or he needs goverment approval.
    How does this work?

2nd question.
    If he cant do a trial version on a paralzyed person in the U.S.
    Can he do this procedure in another country?
    He would need FDA approval to use Rolipram and DCamp, I think, since those have yet to be approved for human use. To use a person's own stem cells, using SCNT, Maryland has no law against the use of embryonic stem cell use and approved a bill for $15 million in research using stem ceells to include hESCs in fiscal 2007. So he would just need his hospital's IRB (internal review board) approval to operate on a human. Actually to get someone else to operate. Dr Douglas Kerr is a neurologist, MD and PhD not a surgeon.

As for another country? I think he would lose a lot of his funding if he tried this anyplace but in Singapore where Johns Hopkins is opening a new hospital/clinic.

And one of those rats has a Sue mask on it.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by damagedgoods
    We got chimps in 4-5 years, because researchers would rather mortally wound an innocent animal than treat a FUCKING suffering human being! If any researcher dares to operate on chimps and/or dogs, after mice, before humans, they better watch out! I know where their labs are and I wouldn't flinch from mowing them down!
    "I WILL MAIM IF ANY INNOCENT CHIMPS OR DOGS/CATS ARE HARMED IN THIS COUNTRY"! And I ain't bluffing you pussies!
    "fuck all of you"!
    A). I believe threatening to harm anyone is a felony in most states and also breaks federal law by using the internet to convey it.

B). By using "Innocent" dogs many more dogs will live in the future instead of being euthanized for spinal cord injuries such as those that often afflict dacshounds, beagles and corgis. These breeds tend to have disc problems not caused by puppy mill inbreeding due to their long backs. When you look at modern veternary science you will find that many dogs thrive today based on research meant for humans that is also useful to dogs. And the most helpful therapies to date for SCIs has come from Purdue's Center For Paralysis Research that uses dogs naturally hurt and have been tested to insure they do not have pain. Most of these dogs go home on K-9 carts and some often walk right out of those carts.

So, before threatening scientists you should talk to a few. I've met many in the field of neuroscience who cannot work on dogs because they can't face the one at home afterwards. I've often told them that my last dog had a good long life due to human research on dogs. Without it she would have died from thyroid insufficiency early on or been deformed for life and in pain when she ruptured her AC ligament. In that case research on human knees was used as an outline for fixing my dog's leg so she had another 6 painfree years of running and jumping.

There are others who cannot work on chimps because they see the intelligence in their eyes. Isn't it intelligence that leads to serving the greater good? Many animals that are becoming inbreed due to shrinking land space to roam in can benefit from each therapeutic experiment as few chimp experiments do not try to also glean more knowledge to help the species as a whole.

I hate to think of animals in pain also. I also know that many scientists have gone to great lengths to find a way to keep these animals painfree during and after their operations and also that any euthanized are done so as humanely as possible.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I believe it is correct, that in this country we are looking at at least a 10yr period this research will be translated into treatments. Unfortunately I believe that is probably more true in this country then in others such as Israel for example. At my age I know that I will be long gone before there is any meaningful stem cell treatments available in the U.S. If I were younger I would keep my eyes on treatments in other part of the world and volunteer for trials when something looks promising.
    mike

mike,

I'm the same boat your in. I no longer worry about benefiting from future therapies.

Seems as though with these latest findings we have gone from the 5 more year thing to 10 years.

SCI progress seems to be inverting.