Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gates Foundation

Gates Foundation

The foundation founded by the recently retired Bill Gates and his wife Melinda is funded to the tune of 29.1 BILLION dollars,need I say more.

Damn,

I think we should all put our heads together (Dr. Young included) and form a pseudo-coalition as to the best way to approach this philanthropist for some quality funding into quality research. I must admit and say that I think he's probably more apt to donate to stem cell research since it is a trailblazing science, and we all know that Bill Gates is the epitome of trailblazing.

Hmmm! Let me see. I think I know where you are trying to go with this.

I did a little search and came up with this:
    http://www.gatesfoundation.org/ForGrantSeekers/
    I think we should pull together and actually try. Maybe on behalf of the ChinaSCINet or Rutgers?

Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden
    Whatcha mean, Art?
    My remark referred to the first post, not yours, Tufelhunden. Our posts must have crossed each other. I just finished reading an older thread of 2002 where Bill Gates states that he is not interested in funding SCI research. That was 4 years ago. Maybe he changed his mind now.

From what I have read their foundation is aimed at providing aid in the fight against infectious diseases in the third world (primarily), and against poverty and also in setting up education programmes for those in need so they can help themselves.

Exactly Carbar, that money is not for research for us

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    From what I have read their foundation is aimed at providing aid in the fight against infectious diseases in the third world (primarily), and against poverty and also in setting up education programmes for those in need so they can help themselves.
    It is just there for third world countries. Been all through this before. It is designated mainly for Aids and world hunger.

I interned for a board member of another foundation funded by a well-known music artist & had a couple opportunities to help go through some proposals & grant requests. I'll just say that should you decide to approach these guys, make sure you have EVERY LAST DETAIL of the RFP covered. Foundations are typically pretty specific about who and what they choose to fund, and requests outside of what they're looking for will be shuffled out of the way quickly.

Worth a shot? Sure, the worst they can say is no.

BTW ctoom91, the Gates Foundation doesn't have that much money earmarked to simply give away. If they just treated that money like a pot of gold, it'd disappear quickly. The $xx.x billion is the fund that keeps operations possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    I interned for a board member of another foundation funded by a well-known music artist & had a couple opportunities to help go through some proposals & grant requests. I'll just say that should you decide to approach these guys, make sure you have EVERY LAST DETAIL of the RFP covered. Foundations are typically pretty specific about who and what they choose to fund, and requests outside of what they're looking for will be shuffled out of the way quickly.

Worth a shot? Sure, the worst they can say is no.

BTW ctoom91, the Gates Foundation doesn't have that much money earmarked to simply give away. If they just treated that money like a pot of gold, it'd disappear quickly. The $xx.x billion is the fund that keeps operations possible.
    I nominate Scott to oversee the the grant pitch!

J.
    And the truth shall set you free.