Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: myspace!!

Ima stalk ur ass....

U added the wrong person now buddy! Lol, not really, the worst thing anyone does to myspace is all those bulletins I get. What color are you, what % are you, what number are you? If and when I figure out where they are getting these friggin things I'm spammin the shit out of their pages. Enuff with that--- myspace is cool to keep up with old and new friends, and gives you hours of mind-numbing HTML coding to work with for when your bored, like Jeff's joke thread.
    No human society, present or past, has lacked music. Music is therefore one of the very few human universals, which puts it on the same level as food and sex.
    Fredric Lieberman

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    Myspace is bad for kids. If you talk to your local law enforcement agency they will tell you. I live in a small town (less than 15,000) and they have hired an officer who does nothing but patrol the internet. They have done numerous school programs about the dangers at my daughter's school. I am only saying this about the kids......Law enforcement in my town just charged their first case of internet stalking. They also discovered we have gangs in our small high school. The bloods/crips and officers know which kids are involved because of myspace. It is scary when you think of your 13 year old daughter having all that information out there for anyone to view. The internet officer also picked a girl out of our HS at random and brought her on stage during a program. He proceeded to then tell her things he knew about her, personal things that she couldnt believe he knew......It was a very eye opening experience for my daughter.

I agree if you are an adult myspace is okay. I think it is a good site for people to meet other people.

Just my opinion from a parents experience and point of view.....
    I could see your point regarding kids. I've seen some of the questionares people have filled out on their profiles and I'm amazed at how detailed the info they are giving actually is. If I had kids I don't think I'd rest easy with them anywhere on the internet without strict supervision, maybe cause I still remember how curious I was growing up. For instance, any kid under the age of 15 having an internet connection in their bedroom seems like a bad idea, but I'd imagine many do.
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Putting out information about yourself is bad news. In this day and age, it's a battle to try to retain some privacy, and posting stuff about your personal life only makes it easier for identity thieves, corporations and the government under bush to steal your identity, and/or put all your personal info into many different databases.

So if you want to use MySpace, I'd recommend keeping it to a minimum, as to the amount of personal info you display to the world.

Jeff has a point, but for most adults it's a cool networking site, if they keep remembering anybody and everybody can see their personal lives when they're posted online.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrrronnn
    I could see your point regarding kids. I've seen some of the questionares people have filled out on their profiles and I'm amazed at how detailed the info they are giving actually is. If I had kids I don't think I'd rest easy with them anywhere on the internet without strict supervision, maybe cause I still remember how curious I was growing up. For instance, any kid under the age of 15 having an internet connection in their bedroom seems like a bad idea, but I'd imagine many do.
    My daughter will be 18 in a few months and after the program at school, she deleted her account on her on. I didnt even have to ask her to. Just general questions kids answer can lead predators straight to them if they add all the answers together.

I think myspace is great for adults if you know what you are putting out there for people to see.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

myspace is a pedophiles wet dream come true. I'm one of these people that believe kids shouldn't be on line alone untill they live on thier own. I know if I had kids there would be no myspace for them. I've seen some of the Dateline segments on Myspace and seen it in the news in general several times and figure it will probably get worse. It is not a safe place for kids at all. I actualy think it isn't a place an adult would want to visit either but for keeping in touch with family and friends outside of MSN messenger, yahoo, and AIM. Though I think there are plenty of alternatives to this asside from Myspace as well.
    Teyrn

MySpace is the 4th busiest site on the planet. It's only as dangerous as you make it. You don't have to answer any messages, you can deny friends, etc... even going so far as making profiles private & only accessible to people who know you via your last name or email address.

But here ya go, let's get riled up about this:

Teen, mom sue MySpace.com for $30 million
    Suit filed in Travis County claims popular Internet site fails to protects children from adult sexual predators.
    By Claire Osborn
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A 14-year-old Travis County girl who said she was sexually assaulted by a Buda man she met on MySpace.com sued the popular social networking site Monday for $30 million, claiming that it fails to protect minors from adult sexual predators.

The lawsuit claims that the Web site does not require users to verify their age and calls the security measures aimed at preventing strangers from contacting users younger than 16 "utterly ineffective."

"MySpace is more concerned about making money than protecting children online," said Adam Loewy, who is representing the girl and her mother in the lawsuit against MySpace, parent company News Corp. and Pete Solis, the 19-year-old accused of sexually assaulting the girl.
    http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...20myspace.html

a couple things:

1) perhaps we should sue that mom for not protecting her kid from online predators. protecting her kid is HER job, not some corporation's.

2) notice the lack of mention of any male authority figure in that home. (edit: point being that this is still the parents' responsibility & no dad would/should stand for his baby girl being abused like this... if it were my kid I wouldn't be going after MySpace.)
    Last edited by -scott-; 06-20-2006 at 11:26 AM.

You're right, Scott. How are they supposed to verify age? It's a hard job being a parent, but policing the kids is part of the job description.

Also-Myspace sure never made any money off me!

I keep an eye on my son's Myspace acct. What horrifies me is a 14 yr old girl meeting a stranger alone.
    Last edited by betheny; 06-20-2006 at 11:43 AM.

I love myspace. It's a lot of fun for me.

If anyone dodgy contacts me, I just do not reply. Not even to tell them to get lost. I don't care if they can tell I'm online...the fact I haven't replied to them makes it clear I'm not interested.

I've discovered some good new music through myspace too.

I finally gave into myspace about a week ago. Eventually everyone succumbs to the myspace monster.

Honestly, I think less of people over the age of 18 that have a MySpace page. It's like adults that take gloves to MLB games. Or maybe I'm just very opiniated.

Facebook is essentially the same thing for college kids. I read a report today that up to 20% of employers search Facebook before hiring recent college graduates. I can only think that will go up and that MySpace will be included.