Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a raised toilet seat...and a bit of a rant

Suggestions for a raised toilet seat...and a bit of a rant

I have been using a Lumex raised padded toilet seat since my SCI. It seemed like a nice seat, raised the toilet to wheelchair height with the 6 or 7 inches of lift it provides, provided a nice side access with it being able to be mounted on the toilet sideways which I need due to the hardware store in my back, and it seemed to be of a quality construction with the big bolts that raise it up and heavy metal brackets...until recently. It seems it is made like lots of Durable Medical Equipment (oxymoron) I am finding-cheesy. Looks like the base is made of pressboard, and two of the legs that are mounted on the pressboard decided to fold over due to the pressboard breaking. Funny they rate this thing as having a 300 lb. capacity, I am well under it being 195. In the meantime I ordered another one of them so I can go poop, but short of making my own raised toilet seat that wont break, does anyone have any suggestions for something that is very similar which will provide side access on the toilet that is bulletproof? Here is a picture of the seat I use-the handrail part is an added part which I dont use, just the raised seat I am interested in.

I had about identical problem as you... had a Lumex and went to replace it. I ended up with same seat you have. It is inferior to the old one and not as safe IMO.

The advertisement stresses adjustability but I canot get adjustment the way I would like and also it is not nearly as stable as old seat.

I may be wrong because it's been a while since I purchased ( just as SCIWIRE was going south, ordered from them) but it looks like "Graham- Fields" owns "Lumex" now and also affiliated with E&J and other DME companies ... seems similar to Sunrise medical they take workable products purchase company and turn out cheap junk.
    Graham - Field catalog

Would be interested in any info on quality padded seat if anyone knows of one..

have you looked into a drop-arm style commode chair? they're a little pricier but sturdy, the arms swing out of the way for transfers, and there are padded seat models. the one i use is an invacare and i got the padded seat (my bony butt is very sensitive to abrasions). the legs are adjustable for height. side access isn't too hateful either. check out this link for reference. poop stand

free to be me

Stratman-I have to use a seat since I like dropping my load directly into a toilet. If I were to leave the commode chair over the toilet that wouldnt work too well as the gf is too short to use it, and wrestling it around in my tiny bathroom wouldnt work too well for me.

Paul-Interesting observation, it is amazing how much they will make something look good on the outside and make it shoddy junk on the inside. I did some tinkering with the broken one so I could use the can last night, cranking it all the way down and using a hunk of 4X4 to stabilize it, worked ok. I am thinking that the new one when it shows up will be cranked down all the way as well so that there is less leverage on the base so it wont break as easily. I dont need all the extra height anymore as I can transfer much better now. Yep, it isnt the best way, but it should be much more stable that way. I probably will eventually rig up some metal bars to tie together the legs on the underside so they have a solid mounting so the pressboard isnt the only thing holding the seat together.

Andy,

I had the same problem a while back. The model # for the seat you show minus the arms is Lumex 6497. I had to ask quite a few, but I finally found a local DME dealer who got it for me. Think maybe Lumex was sold recently?

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Andy,

Oops, sorry. I read your post again and see you DONT want the Lumex. I'll keep my eyes open for others, and try to be careful MINE doesnt drop me. Thanks for the heads up.

Drive by

Well, don't bother with the Drive brand raised, padded, multi-position seat! That's the one my equipment providers sent me to replace my old Lumex, despite the fact that I specifically asked for the same model and they said they'd get it for me.

Is it just me, or do these places employ a method of communication similar to a bunch of monkeys playing telephone under water? Or maybe it's just the places I've been with. So far I haven't found one that doesn't quickly degenerate into a comedy of errors of epic proportions. Occasionally I do manage to get some working equipment though so it isn't all for naught.

Anyway, the Drive is a piece of particle board with some padding and the vinyl (or whatever) cover still has drip marks on it. Very shoddy manufacturing, obviously cutting corners. I was unimpressed with it when comparing it to my old seat, despite it's current decrepit appearance, but I was determined to give it a fair shake before turning it down.

Lumex used a piece of real hard wood and had a much thicker quality coating on the foam. Although it did have a tendency to crack after a while and split at the seams. Nothing is perfect though, but they lasted a good long time and the newer models with the thinner foam lasted longer than the previous. I think the thicker foam padding put more strain on the outer coating so it split sooner. I really like the plastic splash guard that fits down into the bowl as well, I consider that a must have. My current one is at least 3 years old by now and I'm still using it, obviously.

I've always disregarded the hardware and just set the padded seat on top of the toilet. A taller toilet makes that possible and the seat makes it a close enough height for fairly easy transferring. I just put those little plastic thingies that are under regular toilet seats in the holes provided for the hardware to prevent the screws holding the splash guard onto the seat from scratching the porcelain. Since I only need it for my bowel routine once a day I just wipe it off afterward and keep it in the closet on a plastic bag I can replace from time to time. Antibacterial soap does a good job of keeping it from smelling. This way it isn't in the way for regular users throughout the day.

I did give the Drive a try though for several days but finally gave up on it. The seat was so uncomfortable. I don't quite know why since it looks pretty much the same. All I know is that it hurt to sit on it and it actually caused my legs to spasm so much that they kept moving off the footrest. After a while I was too tense to manage the business I was there for in the first place, so I just gave up on it. They won't take it back, and although I'm tempted to throw it away it's brand new so I'm thinking about donating it somewhere. Perhaps someone with different needs won't find it so bad and it is probably better than nothing which I know is what some people have.

I've had very good luck with the Nuprodx line of toileting acutremont. Machined billet aluminum all around. The best cushion i've ever seen on a toilet seat also. I use the 4020rx. Transfer to it from bed, back over crapper. Drop deuce. Roll into shower, etc. One transfer for all my bathroom work. They also have the typical stationary styles too, if you are mostly interested in those. The 3000tx is awesome. Another great feature is how small they pack up. Mine collapses into the size of a small suitcase and takes up less room than my chair in my car. Very nice.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsequitur View Post
    Well, don't bother with the Drive brand raised, padded, multi-position seat! That's the one my equipment providers sent me to replace my old Lumex, despite the fact that I specifically asked for the same model and they said they'd get it for me.

Is it just me, or do these places employ a method of communication similar to a bunch of monkeys playing telephone under water? Or maybe it's just the places I've been with. So far I haven't found one that doesn't quickly degenerate into a comedy of errors of epic proportions. Occasionally I do manage to get some working equipment though so it isn't all for naught.

Anyway, the Drive is a piece of particle board with some padding and the vinyl (or whatever) cover still has drip marks on it. Very shoddy manufacturing, obviously cutting corners. I was unimpressed with it when comparing it to my old seat, despite it's current decrepit appearance, but I was determined to give it a fair shake before turning it down.

Lumex used a piece of real hard wood and had a much thicker quality coating on the foam. Although it did have a tendency to crack after a while and split at the seams. Nothing is perfect though, but they lasted a good long time and the newer models with the thinner foam lasted longer than the previous. I think the thicker foam padding put more strain on the outer coating so it split sooner. I really like the plastic splash guard that fits down into the bowl as well, I consider that a must have. My current one is at least 3 years old by now and I'm still using it, obviously.

I've always disregarded the hardware and just set the padded seat on top of the toilet. A taller toilet makes that possible and the seat makes it a close enough height for fairly easy transferring. I just put those little plastic thingies that are under regular toilet seats in the holes provided for the hardware to prevent the screws holding the splash guard onto the seat from scratching the porcelain. Since I only need it for my bowel routine once a day I just wipe it off afterward and keep it in the closet on a plastic bag I can replace from time to time. Antibacterial soap does a good job of keeping it from smelling. This way it isn't in the way for regular users throughout the day.

I did give the Drive a try though for several days but finally gave up on it. The seat was so uncomfortable. I don't quite know why since it looks pretty much the same. All I know is that it hurt to sit on it and it actually caused my legs to spasm so much that they kept moving off the footrest. After a while I was too tense to manage the business I was there for in the first place, so I just gave up on it. They won't take it back, and although I'm tempted to throw it away it's brand new so I'm thinking about donating it somewhere. Perhaps someone with different needs won't find it so bad and it is probably better than nothing which I know is what some people have.
    If you just set the seat on the toilet, how do you keep it from sliding around or off when transferring and using.

Quote Originally Posted by ginamarie View Post
    If you just set the seat on the toilet, how do you keep it from sliding around or off when transferring and using.
    It never has really. The weight of the transfer board holds it down while I'm transferring and once I'm on it I guess my weight pretty much holds it in place. Obviously if the toilet were damp that might be a problem, but I always check that ahead of time. Without the little plastic thingies from under a regular toilet seat it is a bit less stable but the drag from the screws underneath against the porcelain would keep it from moving too far. With them the seat seems to stay put and is stable and pretty sturdy. After all, they are designed for sitting on. Oh yes, probably has something to do with the splash guard that extends down into the bowl too. I knew there had to be something else... =?