Thread: SCARS, dr Young, scars!

Question SCARS, dr Young, scars!

How are any stem cell therapies or any other therapies going to overcome a big fat chunk of scar tissue in the spinal cord?
    And I do hope an absentminded stemcell does not decide to become a fibroblast, too!
    Any research in this area?

There really is no scar tissue

Just a no mans land of dead cells and glial cells. I know in the preliminary OFS data with the nerve growth factor Inosine the new nerve connections have had no problem growing through the no mans land, this is the least of our worrries.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply
    How are any stem cell therapies or any other therapies going to overcome a big fat chunk of scar tissue in the spinal cord?
    And I do hope an absentminded stemcell does not decide to become a fibroblast, too!
    Any research in this area?
    Cripply,

I have looked at perhaps thousands of contused rat spinal cords. They do not have significant numbers of fibroblasts in their spinal cords, at least not that I have seen. The concept that a fibrous scar develops in the spinal cord comes from a time when most of the models of spinal cord injury involved using a knife to cut the spinal cord.

An extracellular matrix protein called chondroitin-6-sulfate proteoglycan (CSPG) does accumulate in the spinal cord. This is sometimes associated with "scar" tissues because they are produced by macrophages. CSPG will stop axonal growth. However, there is an enzyme that breaks down CSPG in the spinal cord and allows axonal regrowth.

Stem cells may produce fibroblasts, as they can produce all kinds of cells. However, most of the time, if they are treated correctly, they will produce only neural cells in the spinal cord. This is the goal.

Wise.

thanks. I am going to do some reading into that.