Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loosing hand strength in good hand

Loosing hand strength in good hand

I don't know what to do but freak out. I am a C7 incomplete I had my right hand back and partial lt hand. The last three weeks I have noticed decreased rt hand movement, I went to my dr's. 2 weeks ago and he suggested that I ease up on it. Well it's getting even worse and he's gone for a week. I usto be able to start a car(can't drive), open a pop can,things i can still do but are becoming very difficult: Put contacts in, write, & most important CATHING. I think I'm going to just start excerscing it but I dont know. PLEASE give some insite on what I can do or what could be causing it. It's has been about the only thing to return and I don't want to loose it.

Originally posted by Niese:

I don't know what to do but freak out. I am a C7 incomplete I had my right hand back and partial lt hand. The last three weeks I have noticed decreased rt hand movement, I went to my dr's. 2 weeks ago and he suggested that I ease up on it. Well it's getting even worse and he's gone for a week. I usto be able to start a car(can't drive), open a pop can,things i can still do but are becoming very difficult: Put contacts in, write, & most important CATHING. I think I'm going to just start excerscing it but I dont know. PLEASE give some insite on what I can do or what could be causing it. It's has been about the only thing to return and I don't want to loose it.
    Niese,
    How long have you been able to use this hand?
    Was it strong from the start of rehab. or did
    you have to regain function?

Did your doctor have a reason behind his statement? Or did he just guess on the resting?

It seems some of this type of activity isn't
    well defined..mostly just guesses.
    Hope it just needs a rest.
    Good luck..sorry no answer for you. Maybe one
    of the professionals have a ration explanation.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what
    we give.
    Winston Churchill

An MRI to rule out a syrinx is probably a good idea.

Alan

Agreed with alan you may want to have an MRI to rule out tethering, compression, etc.

Losing function could be a neurological (ascending) problem.

Best to check it out.

When this happened to me I couldn't move anything from my neck down. So this has been something I have gained back and that is why I am so scared of loosing it. He didn't have a reason behind his statement. I did have an MRI done last week and my neurologist called and said that everything was ok. But he also told me that if it started to get worse that he wanted to know. I don't know what they will exactly do but if continues to get worse I am going to call my neurologist on friday.

Just to reinforce what other members have been saying, this change in function needs to be vigorously diagnosed. An MRI would be a good place to start. There are complications of SCI that need to be ruled out or treated to keep your function at as high a level as possible.

RAB

Hey it's niese again. I went to the Dr. on 9/12/03 to do and EMG. After it was done my Dr. told me that I have nerve damage on C8,T1. And that has to do w/ the weakning of my hand. I have to do an mri on 9/22/03 and after that my Dr. and Neurologist will get together and decide what we have to do. I'm FREAKING out and don't know what to do. I might have to go under the knife again. The one thing I said I would never do. There's a high chance that after the surgery I will be WORSE than I am now if that's the case why bother. I'm sorry to be negative but how else can I fill but mixed emotions. Has anyone had to go through this or know anybody that has? And how were they after surgery as opposed to before?

Niese, hang in there. Sometime ago, I had posted an abstract of a study that examined the reasons for late deterioration of neurological function after cervical spinal cord injury. Unfortunately, I can't find the article but let me try to summarize it from memory.

In a large group of nearly 100 patients who had delayed neurological loss of the type that you describe, a majority had some kind of problem with their peripheral nerves. It also turns out to be much more common than most people think, most people suffer from some kind of delayed neurological loss within 10-20 years after their injury.

If it is a peripheral nerve problem and the cause is relieved, there is a good chance that the weakness can be reversed. Have you noticed any sensory loss? It is important that they pinpoint the location of the injury.

Please let us know what is happening.

Wise.

can anyone explain to me what a syrink is?

Niese, a syrinx is a cyst that develops in the spinal cord due to obstruction of cerebrospinal fluid flow. It happens in perhaps as many as a third of people with spinal cord injury. It is something that is readily detectable on an MRI. They should be able to see it. If the cyst expands, it sometimes may cause neurological loss.

Wise.