Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drinking and cathing....

Drinking and cathing....

I want to drink occasionally but don't want to overfill my bladder. I remember how often I had to urinate when drinking. How do I get around this other than an indwelling(out of the question) cath.

P.S. By drink occasionally I don't mean a couple beer I mean to get drunk.
    No human society, present or past, has lacked music. Music is therefore one of the very few human universals, which puts it on the same level as food and sex.
    Fredric Lieberman

Mixed drinks rather than beer is a start.

Getting drunk is not a healthy activity for anyone, much less someone with a SCI. Many of your meds will interact with alcohol adversely, and can even be dangerous. You can fall from your chair, getting fractures easily. You can pass out in your chair and wake up with a big pressure ulcer. I don't think I should have to mention not drinking and driving to this group, do I? It is an infantile, irresponsible behavior anyway to plan to get drunk.

Keep your drinking in moderation so that you are still in command of your good judgement and can take care of yourself. Cath more often (even if that means every hour) to avoid getting over full.

(KLD)

let me get this straight... you want the quickest way to get drunk via consuming the least possible amount of volume?

do you care about taste?

I've never been drunk in my life *polishes halo*, and I'm certainly not going to start now I have an sci.
    I'm sure if I was drunk, I'd end up on the floor...my balance is bad sober.

Scott, yes I care about taste, that's why I'm drinking beer. If I just wanted to get plastered without drinking a lot of fluid I'd shoot some hard liquor. But thanks for the thought.

SCI Nurse, I guess I should have posted more clearly. I mean I want to be able do drink as much beer as I wanted without having catheterization hinder me or vice versa. I will admit that you help many people including myself here, so I will consider your insult as a way of you trying to help. I have to plan now because I have much more to consider, which is why I posted. I have considered med interactions, I'm drinking in my room before I go to bed, and my parents, a doctor and nurse, will be here. Spontaneity is a luxury I cannot afford any more.
    No human society, present or past, has lacked music. Music is therefore one of the very few human universals, which puts it on the same level as food and sex.
    Fredric Lieberman

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso
    I want to drink occasionally

by drink occasionally I don't mean a couple beer I mean to get drunk.
    you phrased it wrong then.

no easy way around the cathing issue... just try and figure out how your body responds. you *will* have to drain the lizard more frequently.

My mistake

Sorry, you can tell I need a beer.... or 6.
    Fredric Lieberman

Kudos to James Patrick Page (ZOSO). Well, I occasionally get just a little drunk. I drink scotch whisky on the rocks with little ice. It is a diuretic so you should cath a little more often than usual. Two beers is more than 700 cc's, three is more than 1 ltr. So stick to hard liquor. We know it is bad, but to me, excess is bad. To have a drink or two (or three....) here and there is OK.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Drink a beer then do a shot of whiskey. You'll get drunk but the high content of alcohol in the whiskey will help dry your body out so you won't need to cath as often. And go slow on it, you don't want to get shitfaced drunk and make a fool out of yourself or get hurt. And make sure you catheterize right before you go to bed.... you don't want to wake up with AD because you have 1400ccs of urine in your bladder.

And of course be ready for an early/mid morning bowel program or you'll be wallowing in it!

You asked, I answered.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria