Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Career in Graphic Arts

Career in Graphic Arts

Does anyone work in this field?

Dennis (C5/6) is really interested in developing his own company he's in the process of doing just that.

He has been working tirelessy creating images, day and night for months and his work is really interesting and covers a wide range. Before his accident he was quite talented at sketching and drawing, but had no interest in computers. He now loves working on the computer creating. He would really like to make a new career out of his passion.

He would like to create shirts, logos, paper (wallpaper), rugs, etc.

He does not really know where to start in terms of getting jobs/clients. He has a website in development:

www.eyecoreimages.com

Take a look at his site and let me know what you think. Anyone interested in his work?

It would be a huge boost for him to know he is doing good work from anyone in the field.

Enjoy the views!

Meg

I'm not in the field but enjoyed the images alot. I especially liked the "Art" pieces.

bump

Hoping for me replies!

Hi,

For starters he MUST re-do the site. I was not able to see any images and the pages being done as 1 full graphic is not good at all.

If you could post a little more info (I've been gone for a while) on who this person is, I'd be more than happy to help with the web design part of his journey.

You can also e-mail me at: cc @ polett . com (eliminate the spaces)

Good luck and take care,
    Polett.
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

Hi Meg

The only downside to graphic artists of today is the competition. There're so many since the age of the pc, it makes it tough to get a start in the field, and acquire and then retain clients.

But perseverance will win the day in any field, and advertising in the local paper is a way to get going, along with the actual website for advertising.

Or try to get linked from other established websites.

Best of luck to Dennis and yourself.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Polett,

I am not sure why you cannot view any of the images, I have not heard anyone else complain about that.

It would be helpful if you could explain what you mean by "the pages being done as 1 full graphic is not good at all."

Dennis is my youngest brother, 35 years old, is a C5/6 3 years post and all around one hell of a guy, who has finally found something to be passionate about, his art. I know it is not for everyone, but he has gotten quite of bit of positive feedback from a wide range of people who are interested in it. This is his first try at ANYTHING like this and is really enjoying himself - he is passionate about it and it has been a very long time since he has been passionate about anything.

He has been working with a very basis paint program getting his feet wet, but is open to suggestions on how to improve the images, hopefully something that is relatively basic as he is a computer novice.

rdf - thanks for the nice words. We know the field is quite competitive, but I think he has the perseverance to keep it going. I like the suggestion of the local paper. What did you think of the images?

The images are great, Meg...he has the talent, for sure. He'll need a more robust program though. I'm not up to speed on the latest graphics applications out there, but you might get tips on the computer forum.

It's a tough field, but with some advertising and time, coupled with his obvious talent and a more robust graphics program, he can do anything.

Some programs that I remember offhand are Adobe, PaintShopPro, and GIMP. Some of these you can download for a free trial, some might be totally free.

Even if he's new to computers, spending a week or so just playing with these applications will allow him to learn them. There are tutorials for any program you can think of for free on the web, and they all come with Help sections and their own website with all the info he'd need. They all pretty much are intuitive...if you learn one, then you pretty much can use any of them.

I think it's a good thing. Finding something that interests you and you are passionate about can really make a difference in someone with sci's life...accomplishment is a salve to the low self-esteem that naturally comes with sci, especially in the first years.

He's got the talent for sure, now he needs to get an application that will really expand his natural artistic talents.

Best of luck to you and Dennis, Meg.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I have just finished my forst year of college, working towards an associate degree in graphic design for print and web.

There is a lot you can do with Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop -- you can even break up your design into tables for your website!. They are the industry standard. And if you get Adobe Creative Suite, it includes Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat and GoLive in one package. For the web, there is Dreamweaver, Flash and Fireworks which are available as a package as well.

Another great resource would be "Graphic Artists Guild Handbook -- Pricing & Ethical Guidelines" available at Amazon.

Good luck with this career. Dennis does have real talent, so he should be able to do well in the field.

I can't see the pictures either....

But I would suggest getting the latest Photoshop if he is serious about art....You can get a trial version online....

Also, once he gets that, a good site for tutorials, photo effects, text effects, etc is www.good-tutorials.com Good luck, and be determined if he expects to succeed....

I just figured it out... jayday9: Are u using firefox? You can only open this site using Explorer.
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!