View Poll Results: Hip replacement surgery after spinal cord injury.

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SCI and have not had hip replacement surgery.

13 86.67%
  • I have SCI and had hip replacement surgery and complications. I do not recommend it.

0 0%
  • I have SCI and had hip replacement surgery with complications but recommend the procedure.

0 0%
  • I have SCI and had hip replacement surgery with minimal complications. I recommend the procedure.

1 6.67%
  • I have SCI and had fusion and other operation(s) for the hip.

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dislocated Hip - Advise :(

Dislocated Hip - Advise :(

I found out my left hip was dislocated after noticing increased problems with it for the past year. The last 6 months I noticed great changes when doing:

range of motion- hearing cracking, grinding from hip/joint, thigh rotating in, and range movements being more limited than before;

left leg appearing increasingly shorter than right leg;

right hip putting more pressure on seat cushion, with left hip rising higher- this also curves my torso to the right, forcing left shoulder lower than right side. Overall, this resulting in increased pain and cramping on the left side, from neck down toward under scapula and even affecting left arm.

Not completel;y sure if upper body/arm/shoulder problems are resulting from hip issue but think most like associated.

I have had these problems over the years and even when attemptng to use a standing frame I have at home a few years ago, hip would lean to one side. I wanted to stand and weight bear again but PT had concerns and Dr just said that although it would be OK, standing would be one thing that would exacerbate the problem since ball is moving up and out from the socket.

Right now, the ortho dr. thought there was not much more to do with it unless I this starts to interfere with my daily activities, or feel the pain if I had sensation, which I don't have, except burning sensation in that area with some AD symptoms at times. Dr gave options to cut muscle or take off the ball from socket (??), but didn't seem anything was necessary since Im not walking or have sensation. I want to keep hip healthy and maintained though.

I don't want it to become worse and don't want to ONLY do something when it becomes severe problem. Any thoughts anyone?? Has anyone had hip dislocated and what did you do?

Thanks

Originally posted by chick:

I found out my left hip was dislocated after noticing increased problems with it for the past year. The last 6 months I noticed great changes when doing:

range of motion- hearing cracking, grinding from hip/joint, thigh rotating in, and range movements being more limited than before;

left leg appearing increasingly shorter than right leg;

right hip putting more pressure on seat cushion, with left hip rising higher- this also curves my torso to the right, forcing left shoulder lower than right side. Overall, this resulting in increased pain and cramping on the left side, from neck down toward under scapula and even affecting left arm.

Not completel;y sure if upper body/arm/shoulder problems are resulting from hip issue but think most like associated.

I have had these problems over the years and even when attemptng to use a standing frame I have at home a few years ago, hip would lean to one side. I wanted to stand and weight bear again but PT had concerns and Dr just said that although it would be OK, standing would be one thing that would exacerbate the problem since ball is moving up and out from the socket.

Right now, the ortho dr. thought there was not much more to do with it unless I this starts to interfere with my daily activities, or feel the pain if I had sensation, which I don't have, except burning sensation in that area with some AD symptoms at times. Dr gave options to cut muscle or take off the ball from socket (??), but didn't seem anything was necessary since Im not walking or have sensation. I want to keep hip healthy and maintained though.

I don't want it to become worse and don't want to ONLY do something when it becomes severe problem. Any thoughts anyone?? Has anyone had hip dislocated and what did you do?

Thanks
    Chick,
    I would consult with another ortho.
    I have fusions. If something isn't done..
    well you can end up looking like a question
    mark.

I don't know what they do really now in regards to fusing..but at the time I had mine
    done..it was a body saver.

I had polio so a different type of paralysis..but the same results it looks like.

Good luck..so sorry.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what
    we give.
    Winston Churchill

I had nearly identical problems with right hip out of socket,severe right side back and sshoulder pain radiating clear down to my arm. Have you ever had a pressure sore in that area? I don't want to scare you cuz I'm no dr. but finally the adgot bad the x-ray showed it out of socket and a closer look turned up osteomyeltis in upper femur which luckily hadn't spread to the upper part of joint, the socket ,Iguess and bone that keeps the bladder protected. The upper 6" of femur was removed. I still have the pain but at least he saved my leg and probably my life. I don't know if you can get osteo w/o an external wound allowing exposure to infection.I was told by a v.a. dr. to check for osteo but my local orth. dsurg. said don't sweat it and allowed a sore to heal from the out side. That caused it to get worse till it burst open. A good infectious disease dr, can feel a hotspot. I'd sure get it checked further.WR

I had a total hip replacement done in March because part of my SCI accident included dislocation of my hip and a broken fragment from the femoral head which caused bone chips over the following months. It's difficult to find an ortho Dr who does hip replacements on quads/paras, but they're out there! Mine is at UC Irvine in SoCal.
    If it continues giving you trouble, I'd look into a hip replacement, and definitely say NO to just chopping off the femoral head.

Thanks guys! Yes I will definite;ly get additional consult. I am growing more concerned because I would rather not ignore a problem just because I can't feel it!

Lindox, a fusion was what I was thinking but couldn't remember what it was called. and a Question mark is what I DON'T want to happen, as Im feeling it already (but told I do not have any scoliosis yet).

Whiterabbit. The pain and symptoms you described is exactly what I experience on my right side. I have no pressure sores but great questions for me to further inquire into.

Scott, I had also broken my femur during accident, and have had rods put in almost entore femur. I was confused, and still am about taking off the femoral head since Im not sure what or how hip/leg would be supported.

Please add any other thoughts on here as they come up...your input, ALL of yours, is soooooo valuable! Thanks! I will remember to take notes to next appointment!

There are some supplements that you can take to help with your joints, but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. If nobody else posts them, I'll find them for you.

-Steven

Originally posted by Steven Edwards:

There are some supplements that you can take to help with your joints, but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. If nobody else posts them, I'll find them for you.

-Steven
    Steven,
    Gluscosamine/chondroitin/MSM are the biggies
    for joint support..but I don't think they
    could have much benefit on this hip.
    Yet they do have some good reports in other
    areas. Mostly arthritis related.
    They are hard to digest though.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what
    we give.
    Winston Churchill

Chick, I'd advise you to limit your activity as much as possible. It's a shame it wasn't detected earlier, before the standing and other exercise exacerbated it. My hip pops out when I lie on my back and my legs splay. I twist and turn until it pops back in but it causes terrible AD. I avoid doing anything that involves spreading my legs outward.

Lindox, those are good suppliments, I took them for a bout of bursitis and when I sprained my wrist and they worked wonders but you're right, I don't think they'd have much affect on a dislocated joint. You can buy the MSM/chondroiten/glucosamine in liquid or chewable form btw. GNC has a caramel chewable form.

[This message was edited by seneca on 08-27-03 at 03:48 PM.]

Originally posted by chick:

Scott, I had also broken my femur during accident, and have had rods put in almost entore femur. I was confused, and still am about taking off the femoral head since Im not sure what or how hip/leg would be supported.
    that's the problem with them taking off the femoral head...you will not have a "hip" joint. your leg will be able to flop around, only supported by the muscles/tendons/ligaments. another problem is that you won't be able to get the hip fixed a few years down the road if (I mean WHEN) a SCI cure comes around. anyway, good luck getting that thing taken care of.

I would agree with getting a second opinion but be sure it is from an orthopedist who specializes in surgery for people with SCI. While joint replacements are done very commonly, your inability to do the exercises after surgery required of ABs having this surgery put you at great risk for dislocating the prosthesis.

A girdlestone (cutting off the femer head) is a solution for some, but as stated below, this is a burn-your-bridges solution that may have repercussions down the road.

(KLD)