Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is anyone FRRRREEEEZZZZZIIINNNGGG all the time?

where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania

is anyone FRRRREEEEZZZZZIIINNNGGG all the time?

i'm sooooo cold all the time i'm relegated to my room. i can barely post for alln the shivering.. it' been like this from the moment i started having sensation, about 6 mons after injury. any tips? how do you deal with?
    Please Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint
    Isaiah 40:31

Sorry I can't help but for 9-10 months of the year I feel cold.
    So there we were, Two against ten thousand.
    **** we killed those two!!

i have found that i am most comfortable when it is 85 and higher. not in the bright sun though, otherwise i am always in a sweatshirt or more below 75.
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

same as nicotico... i'm chilly tonight in Atl., but the temp. dropped 18 degrees from yesterday..

layers and a good heater to sit close to..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Dress in layers.

Many find that long underwear is very helpful. This can be silk, wool, or polyprop.

Wear a hat (a stocking cap at night can help a lot)

Keep your heat higher (use safe space heaters in a location where you cannot come in contact with them with your chair or body parts and not know it).

Avoid hot water bottles, microwave heated "blue ice" or heating pads. I have seen some really bad burns. Even electric blankets can be dangerous if you don't have good sensation.

A heated waterbed can work well for night-time too.

(KLD)

i'm not sure if you have the eqiupment avaiable. But if u have wrist cuffs or anything, or if u can do an arm bike try it. I use to be always freezing and if it happens I start to work out, lift weights, move around more or go outside where its sunny, and super hot out. Then i come back and i Feel alot better. The more layers i put on the colder i seemed to get, it only got better when I got my heart rate up. Hope this helps!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

During my first year or so following injury I was very sensitive to cold and heat. My temp control has improved as time has passed, but I still get chilled every once in a while, it's extremely aggravating. It's common though, after sci a person becomes sort of semi coldblooded so your temperature changes with the environment instead of regulating itself at 98.6 F. Make sure you don't have a fever and keep a warm blanket or sweater/sweatshirt handy. For me it seemed that if I waited until I was really shivering that it was harder to get warm. Prevention is the key I guess.

definitely what coffee said, getting active helps. The more I would try to ball up and sit still the colder i would get.
    Last edited by redbandit; 06-13-2006 at 09:40 PM.

I agree with coffee. Back in Feb (?) I went to the local Winter Carnival. I got super cold, and never warmed up. Touching me, I feel warm, but in my mind I was cold. I could sit here and sweat on my cushion, but I would shiver. Darndest thing.

Anywho...it's been that way til yesterday. My dad sent me an oxycycle to see if it would help with my leg problems. I used it for 15 min--10 min into it I "felt my feet warm up" and haven't been cold since. Somewhat unfortunate since I'm now sitting here half naked with a fan blowing on me for the first time this summer. LOL

The only down side I see is an increase in my neuro pain -- but I am hoping that will go away with use. The family seems to think it's due to the "workout" my legs haven't seen in a year. Today marks 1 year since my fall. My chair was ordered on May 26th and went from "as needed it when having trouble walking" to "I'm in it if I want to go anywhere."

Edit: found the thread - it was january. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=58593
    Last edited by Jadis; 06-13-2006 at 09:46 PM.

I've found the ideal temp for me is 79-81°F. I bought a digital thermometer with inside and outside sensors because I was suspicious that the thermostat was lying. I was right. I have to set the thermostat to almost 85° to get the house to 79°. Anything below 79° and I get cold. Below 79° and I start feeling cold, above 81° and I'm hot.

The only problem is if I come in after being outside for a while, my body temp is higher than my normal, and when I come home to an 80° house, it feels hot now. I have to remind myself to set the thermostat to keep the house at 75° so I can cool off when I get home.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

weepinglamb

For 8 yrs. after my c5-6 injury I was having problems with cooler weather, and I live in s. florida. It was solved when I had my neck x-rayed and the doc notice my cord was rubbing against the spine. After the operation I was back to normal. Good luck!