Thread: This is a Knife Fight NOT a Pillow Fight!!!

Thumbs up This is a Knife Fight NOT a Pillow Fight!!!

This was the refrain heard at the GPI Stem Cell Summit at Stanford

We need to put the patient first!

Once HR 810 is passed the money will flow. One speaker asserted that the contribution from phylanthropists would outpace that of the states once HR 810 would be passed.

We need the GREEN LIGHT for the research to no longer be delayed.

Consensus was that ESC's are much more capable for repair than any other type of stem cells.

Backers to push stem cell issue across country

Carl T. Hall, Chronicle Science Writer
    Monday, June 12, 2006

Chris Bell, a Democrat running a longshot campaign for governor of Texas, asserted divine support for turning stem cell research into a major wedge issue across the country.
    "I believe God wants us to use science and technology to help our fellow man," Bell told a friendly crowd Sunday in Palo Alto....

Organizers portray the effort to replicate that 2004 state initiative as a growing coalition. Prop. 71 authorized $3 billion in taxpayer-backed grants for human embryonic stem cell research.

This controversial new field of biomedicine is starved for funds because of restrictions imposed by the Bush administration.

Advocates hope to extend their victory to other states, including some of the reddest of the red, while also gearing up for a potential head-on collision with President Bush's promised veto of pro-stem cell legislation pending in the Senate.

Battle lines are clearly being drawn already on Bush's home turf.

The campaign to re-elect Republican Gov. Rick Perry of Texas touts his "extensive record as a pro-life, pro-family conservative." Bell cites poll numbers showing broad support for stem cell science, even among conservatives.

Stem cell controversies in California have advanced to the nitty-gritty mechanics of ethical guidelines and governance of the state program. But that's not the case elsewhere -- and judging from some of the talk at Stanford, the pro-research side senses some opportunities.
    ...........proponents are urging a bolder stance, suggesting some elections may turn on attracting conservative votes with the hope of stem cell cures. "This is one of the central issues in Wisconsin," said Hanson Kaye, communications director for Wisconsin's Democratic governor, Jim Doyle, a stem cell research advocate who delivered the keynote speech Saturday night at the "Stem Cell Policy and Advocacy Summit."
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGDPJCKVA1.DTL
    Last edited by Faye; 06-13-2006 at 02:00 PM.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

I'm sure Ann Coulter would agree......., that it is a Knife Fight!

In new book, Coulter 'cribs' stem cell list from right-to-life group Ron Brynaert
    Published: Wednesday June 14, 2006
    Print This | Email This
    In an attempt to counter a New York Times article, conservative pundit Ann Coulter appears to have inserted a list that was originally compiled by an anti-abortion group almost word-for-word into her new book, RAW STORY has found.

The seventh chapter of Godless: The Church of Liberalism is devoted to "the left's war on science," which - according to Coulter - includes lying about "the science that is working" so as "to elevate the science that has produced nothing."
    "In the August 24, 2004, New York Times, science writer Gina Kolata claimed that no one had succeeded in using adult stem cells 'to treat diseases,'" writes Coulter.

To prove the Times science writer wrong, Coulter then provides a "short list" of sixteen "successful treatments achieved by adult stem cell research."

But fifteen of Coulter's examples (listed at the end of this story) are nearly identical to items in a longer list of seventeen compiled by the Illinois Right To Life website, that has been available since at least September of 2003.

"Repair heart attack damage (using the patient’s own blood stem cells)," says the Illinois Right To Life Committee Website.
    "Repairing heart attack damage with the patient’s own blood stem cells," writes Coulter.

"Restore bone marrow in cancer patients (using stem cells from umbilical cord blood)," says the Website.
    "Restoring bone marrow in cancer patients using stem cells from umbilical cord blood," Coulter writes.

(Note: At the bottom of this page, the fifteen of sixteen items that Coulter used in Godless are printed side-by-side with the ones from the Illinois Right to Life Committee Website)

For these fifteen items, Coulter appears to do little more than remove the parentheses and slightly change a word or two, such as "using" into "with."

Sources unclear

The anti-abortion website doesn't provide any sources for its list of examples of "successful experimental treatments [that] have been achieved using ethical sources of stem cells."
    http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/In...stem_0614.html

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

Imagine that. Philanthropists (private funding) and an economically sound business model. Add state funding and voila ~ progress.

Meanwhile we wait and wait and wait for federal funding that will never come no matter how much of a "feel good" posture is put on it.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Same theory works towards the cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chappell
    Imagine that. Philanthropists (private funding) and an economically sound business model. Add state funding and voila ~ progress.

Meanwhile we wait and wait and wait for federal funding that will never come no matter how much of a "feel good" posture is put on it.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Same theory works towards the cure.
    Who'd have thunk Simple recipe for progress.
    Daniel

dan - Not that you would or should know but I was being sarcastic.

There are a few people who have never bought into my economic perspective and ideas and have chosen their own advocacy methods / stance. I've always said that everyone can and should choose their own path if they want to get involved. There's no right method or wrong method just action in many shapes, ways, ideas. To me, given the few soldiers we do have its important that we keep encouraging each other not admonishing each other.

In this case its nice to be vindicated.

One major problem remains - a champion for our cause. Without one the public goes deaf pretty quick.

dan - Not that you would or should know but I was being sarcastic.
    Oh I heard ya, Chris. And I hear ya. Personally, I see several major problems, not just one.
    Daniel

In this case its nice to be vindicated.
    Yup, you are right: President Bush's restrictions on federal funding have generated more funding for this research than would have otherwise been available

On the other hand: health care policy, environmental regulation and support for basic scientific research are best delegated to the federal government

If you had attended the GPI Stem Cell Summit, you would have experienced the overriding message: We NEED HR 810 to pass, even if it doesn't entail actual federal funding.

It's that green light that would increase private funding. Would you risk your money/time on research which has the aura of illegality?

No scientist dares pin a career on a discipline that could be outlawed at any moment

One major problem remains - a champion for our cause. Without one the public goes deaf pretty quick.
    We are the champions.

Media likes knife fights better than pillow fights. Looking forward to the Frist ad by Stempac airing again . Also really like the NYT defcon ad. Defcon also attended the GPI Stem Cell Summit!

BTW who is admonishing who?
    Last edited by Faye; 06-15-2006 at 09:21 AM.

Young does ASCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    We are the champions.
    Right. And there are many more of us (people which are injured or have an illness or others supporting this research) then there is politicians opposing this research. If some of us pick a politician or two to put pressure on we can easily have a ratio of 100/1 or more when it comes to us/opposing politicians. It’s just a matter for us to do it, go into discussions and put pressure on them.

Faye - stop being defensive. I did not intend anything toward you and was not admonishing. It was directed at others.

As far as the champion issue I disagree with. We are the soldiers fighting the cause but we have no true leadership or visual, public profile. Without it the battle is much longer than necessary.

By a true champion that can effect change I mean a mandate issued by those in power. Similar to Kennedy's - Moon challenge, FDR - polio, Lincoln - equality, etc. Once you have a groundswell of momentum started by a visual, actionable representative the public can get behind the support simply is not there.

Private funding is the avenue I believe until a federal champion can institute a different agenda.

I'm not here to debate anyone just offering a perspective.

By a true champion that can effect change I mean a mandate issued by those in power. Similar to Kennedy's - Moon challenge, FDR - polio, Lincoln - equality, etc. Once you have a groundswell of momentum started by a visual, actionable representative the public can get behind the support simply is not there.
    I agree 100% on this of course. That would have been amazing, but how can this be achieved, I guess that is the big question?