Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What brand of TV is the best.....want to buy a new one

Chelle, I went to Amazon to read the customer reviews for the Philips 42 inch Flat-panel Plasma TV. After that I matriculated over to UltimateAV and it looks like they are recommending VIZIO P42HDTV Plasma (I am trying to stay within your budget). After I decided to go to CNet to read the editors review and the User Opinion on the Vizio P42HDTV. If you go over to PC World you will see that the Samsung 42 Inch Plasma TV is getting some solid reviews. I find that in aggregate the customer/user reviews can be helpful.

If you decide to purchase this Phillips Plasma TV (probably need a professional) it needs to be correctly calibrated in your home. Also, you may want to take a look at Costco because of their liberal return policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    PN, not sure you have seen this article, but is good info. for 1080i vs. 1080p... agree that 1080p will soon be the standard.. about to upgrade to DLP 1080p..
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6361600-1.html
    Hello Jeff, just what I need more reading/schooling. Thanks, I finished the article from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by roshni
    Good article and I am glad they covered Extended Warranties and Manufacturer warranties.

Paul-
    Thank you so much for the links. I'll read up on them in a few. I think it was Darkeyed_Daisy that had a specific budget stated...wheras we don't want to go crazy spending a TON of money, our objective is to get the best tv for the most reasonable price....afterall, we were gonna kidnap dad to MI for the entire race weekend....he chose the tv over the trip...We are MAJOR fans of COSTCO, and "executive" members, LOVE LOVE LOVE their rebate program so whatever we purchase if they sell it would probably come from them anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Hello Jeff, just what I need more reading/schooling. Thanks, I finished the article from top to bottom.
    not sure if sarcastic , but was linked for all interested in the differences...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Hello Jeff, no sarcasm. I just wanted you to know that I read the article and this technology is moving at such a fast clip it's difficult to stay on the "bleeding edge".

Chelle, sometimes it's Dragon (voice rec) and once in awhile dyslexia. 42 inch top-of-the-line Plasma TV!

Chelle, sometimes it's Dragon (voice rec) and once in awhile dyslexia. 42 inch top-of-the-line Plasma TV!
    I understand that Everyone's version of "top-of-the-line" can be different...hence the question of opinions.... I haven't read the links yet, but I plan on reading the reviews, especially of the Phillips we've been eyeing and the Vizio that you linked. In the past I've always been a fan of Sony, but I've heard a lot of negative in the way of their TVs....I dunno if this is true on their plasma's and if you're really paying for the name there. <YIKES> As long as we get dad's tv by Sunday's race, he'll be a happy camper, he's easy to please and not much of a "shopper" so getting him to go to the store to look at them in person is tough...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    Paul-
    Thank you so much for the links. I'll read up on them in a few. I think it was Darkeyed_Daisy that had a specific budget stated...wheras we don't want to go crazy spending a TON of money, our objective is to get the best tv for the most reasonable price....afterall, we were gonna kidnap dad to MI for the entire race weekend....he chose the tv over the trip...We are MAJOR fans of COSTCO, and "executive" members, LOVE LOVE LOVE their rebate program so whatever we purchase if they sell it would probably come from them anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Yep it was me.....but Im not wanting a plasma either. I think Ive decided to go with LCD. Im just going to go check some out this weekend.......I am still not getting the pixel thing but hopefully if I look at the TV's I will understand better.
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 06-13-2006 at 08:44 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Chelle, you may want to go back to UltimateAV and look at the article on the Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" Plasma and then read the customer reviews on Amazon for the Panasonic TH-42PX50U 42" Flat-Panel Plasma.

Thank you so much again Paul...from the reviews it looks like we're gonna steer away from that Phillips that we liked so much before. That Panasonic is looking promising....Dad measured the wall tonight and he can fit a 50" quite nicely, looks like the 50" Panasonic is rated pretty high too We've def got some looking/shopping/reading to do this week before the race so we can get his TV and get it hooked up for him
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

Chelle, I think you are making a good decision (it would be my choice) by going with the Panasonic TH-50PX50U 50" Plasma TV.

Good luck and please post some pictures when you have everything hooked up!

Chelle, you may want to go back to UltimateAV and look at the article on the Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" Plasma and then read the customer reviews on Amazon for the Panasonic TH-42PX50U 42" Flat-Panel Plasma.
    I own the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK, very pleased using it as a computer monitor and with HD cablebox & DVD player.

Also, lots of good info here:

http://www.avsforum.com/