Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What brand of TV is the best.....want to buy a new one

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    confused yet? soooo many choices and opinions... with the prices you are finding, my idea is sounding better and better, huh? lol

i'm very partial to Mitsubishi... all that i will own... my HDTV in my room..

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televis...?catId=1&id=93

Im gonna have to go back to college to learn how to buy a TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!not to mention spending some time on the corner of peachtree to pay for it.

I really didnt know all this was out there....I appreciate all the info.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I have the 26" Sharp Aqous, #4 on the list. LOVE it. So clear and nice. Its down to $1100cdn Now.
    Just remember, big isn't better. Get a setup based on your room dimensions.

I THOUGHT "i" is better than "p" My sharp is 780i, 1080p. I also have a HDMI DVD player, and it only ever runs 480p, or the odd time 780i.

Things that make yha go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    Last edited by Patonb; 06-11-2006 at 10:45 PM.

Paton, ther is no 780i that I know of. The stds are:
    480i, 480p,
    540p - was a Mitsu used std (and the lowest that can be called HD) now dead
    780p , 1080i, 1080p

your dvd player will output 480i & 480p only unless it is a new HD-DVD or BlueRay HD player.

"P"(progressive scan) is always better than "I"(interlaced scan) within the same #range, effectively "P" scans every line and "I" scans every other line) so you get more detailed info out of "P"
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Ok all you TV GURUs....what's your opinion of the Phillips Plasma HDTV? I've always been happy w/Phillips products and customer service, Dad's getting a plasma TV for father's day, we just have to decide which one to get....We've looked at the Phillips one quite a bit...More than likely will be getting 42", but we have to re-measure the wall to double check...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

'chelle, for me, i'd rather get a larger screen with DLP or LCD rather than plasma... too over-rated and too expensive...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Jeff-
    Thanks for that info, the space available only really allots for the 42" range without overpowering the room & being able to hang it on the wall where they'd like to. LCD is the other option we've looked at. What is the major difference between LCD and Plasma in picture quality?
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

'Chelle,

If you will be sitting kinda close to the screen, plasma is probably the way to go.
    Plasma "addresses" a line at a time on the screen which makes for smoother edges between pixels. LCD "addresses" a pixel at a time, which if sitting close to screen, can show up as a jaggy picture in fast moving screen shots. LCD can also have a screen door effect(SDE) when sitting close, but disappears when further away. SDE is like looking outside thru a screen door. But the higher end LCD's have tighter packed pixels and this is less noticable.

But the downside of plasma is if something goes wrong with an "addressing" part, you will lose a whole line across your screen, in LCD you would only lose a pixel and would probably not notice it.

I had a Phillips 37" LCD flat panel in my bedroom that I returned due to sound issues. But when I replaced it w/ a Sony 42" LCD RP(rear projection), I noticed it had a much better picture.

Try and "watch" any given tv at the angle and depth that you will be using it at home and have them show you HD, DVD, and normal tv shows. Then pick the one that looks best to you.

Also, since a 16x9 tv(all HD's) "screen size" is mostly affected by the horizontal dimension, look for one with speakers on the bottom, you might find you can even get a bigger screen size in about the same physical dimensions. That is how I went from the 37" Phillips to the 42" sony.

And make sure to get an HD(Hi Def), not an ED(enhanced definition), which maxes out at 480p resolution.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

excellent points McDuff...

'chelle, the true test is to go to a reputable place, Hifi Buys, Best Buys, Circuit City... not Sam's, Joe Blow's tv outlet.. i say this bc they will have the tv's displayed with the best picture signal possible.. as a bonus, you will possibly have a LCD, DLP, and plasma side by side... or atleast in close proximity... these stores sell high-end tv's, Mitsubishi, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc.. there is a diff. in LCD and plasma visually, but the $$$ jumps along with it..

in my opinion, plasma is NOT a choice.. my Mit. 65'' HDTV CRT that i linked has a phenomenal pic. in Hi-Def.. everyone is phasing out high-end CRT's, but you can still get low-end CRT's for great deals if on a budget and want size.

i'm about to upgrade to the link below... a 73'' DLP 1080p HDTV.. check a DLP out.. in my opinion, as good as plasma to the naked eye, but with a better, much better price. i'm not saying go big like i like, just my style, just compare the 3 along with your budget and you will be happy with either.. just f.y.i., the price on my new one is $5499.00, but they will come off it quite a bit.. for shits & giggles, a Pioneer plasma 61'' is $9999.00.. could you imagine the price of a 73''? i think i just fell outta my chair...

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index...entPage=family
    Last edited by 2jazzyjeff; 06-12-2006 at 05:57 PM. Reason: forgot link

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    Paton, ther is no 780i that I know of. The stds are:
    480i, 480p,
    540p - was a Mitsu used std (and the lowest that can be called HD) now dead
    780p , 1080i, 1080p

your dvd player will output 480i & 480p only unless it is a new HD-DVD or BlueRay HD player.

"P"(progressive scan) is always better than "I"(interlaced scan) within the same #range, effectively "P" scans every line and "I" scans every other line) so you get more detailed info out of "P"
    Oops, Yha.... my bad Its "p" no "i". And yes I have a HD-DVD with HDMI DVD player. Got a Samsung for $150cdn from Sears.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    And make sure to get an HD(Hi Def), not an ED(enhanced definition), which maxes out at 480p resolution.
    i was just at Sam's Club and they have really stepped up with their plasma and LCD's.. not great, but decent.. they didn't have a huge asst., but had a few 42'' plasmas under $2000.00. their best deal was a Samsung 42'' plasma for $1499.00, but it was an EDTV... i thought it had a great pic. for 480p..

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=171165

they had a cpl. nice, complete surround systems, Bose Lifestyle 18, for around $1500.00...

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=160696

i'm a big Bose fan, whereas some ppl. aren't.. i have 2 systems and you get what you pay for...