Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What brand of TV is the best.....want to buy a new one

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What brand of TV is the best.....want to buy a new one

I would like to buy a big screen TV. I want HD ready and I need to stay within 1500-2000. I would like to have a home theatre type setup. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am quite clueless when it comes to TVs. Thanks
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

daisy, is that price to include the home theater too?

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Hitachi makes a bad ass big screen that is HD ready. I considered one
    when I bought a new TV last year, but I had to buy a TV at WalMart
    because my uncle gave me a big gift certificate and since WalMart
    doesn't carry Hitachi, I bought a Panasonic instead.

for her price range, if she wants a home theater and HDTV, it will not be anything ''high end'', unless it's HOTT... which is the likely scenario..

these $300 Sony and Panasonic surrounds that you will see are crap...remember, you get what you pay for...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Hi Darkeyed_Daisy,

My sister has a subscription to Consumer Reports Online and I "borrowed" her password to check out LCD TVs. I just bought a Soyo DYLT3218 Onyx Series 32 inch HD-Ready LCD TV 1366 x 768 resolution, 1500:1 dynamic contrast ratio, 12ms response time, 16:9 aspect for $797.99 plus $42.00 for shipping from Computer Geeks. It wasn't even listed in the Consumer Reports line-up but I like it a lot and Hi-Def is just great.

Consumer Reports placed the 45 inch Sharp Aquos at the top of their list but that costs around $5,000! My guess is that you can probably find one for around $4,000 but that's still outrageous for most of us here! The 37 inch Sharp Aquos runs about $2,300. Now the 32 inch Sharp Aquos is around $1,400 so is well within your price range. You may want to have it mounted from your ceiling and the mount for that costs about $200. It's height adjustable. In this manner of installation it's out of the way and can be be rotated 360 degrees and pivoted to any angle.... and perhaps you'll even be able to wheel under it giving you much more room. Or you can have it wall mounted or just use the pedestal it comes on and put it on a table or whatever.

I have mine in my bedroom so I want it close to me.... say about 6-8 feet away and about 4-5 feet off the floor so I can wheel under it. Plus if you pay a professional to install it that may cost around $300 (I'm just guessing) bringing your total to $1,900. I'm sure the speakers on it sound good but if you want the "theater" effect you're gonna need to get some 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound speakers. I now have a set of Pro-Media Klipsch 5.1 Ultras on my computer and they sound great and can really be cranked. They'll run ya about $300 and you'll probably need to buy one or two mini-plug to RCA jack adapter(s). They're cheap.... 6 bucks. I don't know what the latest version of Klipsch's cost but are probably around $500.

Here are the prices of the 32 and 37 inch Sharp Aquos' at BestBuy.

Some/most channels are still in 4:3 aspect ratio. So a 32 inch LCD set like mine will only actually only give you a 25 inch diagonal picture. But most Hi-Def channels (and 16:9 DVDs) fill out the whole 16:9 aspect ratio of the LCD TV and look awesome.

But I wouldn't rush into adding additional speakers right now unless you're having a professional service install everything in a single package. You'll want to know what type of audio amplifier and audio outputs are on the Sharp Aquos (or whatever brand and model you choose) and buy the speakers accordingly. You'll probably need self-amplified speakers such as the Klipsch 5.1 Ultras but ask a professional (maybe the guy who installs your ceiling mount if you go that route) what type you'll need and shop around. And whether or not they can be adjusted by your remote control volume control. Take your TV owner's manual with you to the store so hopefully the "expert" will know what you need. It's usually best to buy speakers after you've heard them.... they're your ears and they know best!

Here's the top half of the Consumer Reports LCD TV recommendation test results.

If you're able to get out and about it's recommended that you look at each LCD set and buy according to your own eyes and select the features that are most important to you. Plasma sets are available but cost more.

HERE'S a guide to learning about and selecting a TV. There's a lot of reading and learning to do!

Good luck and happy viewing.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I was planning on the whole 2000 going to the TV and then adding the sony home theatre system......but I guess I will have to go with another brand.

55" Grand WEGA™ 3LCD Rear Projection HDTVKDF-E55A20
    or
    50" 3LCD Rear Projection HD TelevisionKDF-50E2000(it wont ship until the end of this month)

and
    Flat Panel Speaker SystemSA-FT3H

www.sonystyle.com

If you have seen my camera posts, sony does really good with cameras and Ive been very pleased so far.

Now Jeff................I dont want to go to jail over a TV so I was planning on buying it at the store LOL.

Maybe I need to look up a little info on HD TV as I said I am clueless. I just want a BIG TV lol. 2500 is as high as I can go for both but I want the best I can get with the money.

I am going to hitachi's website to check it out.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    Maybe I need to look up a little info on HD TV as I said I am clueless. I just want a BIG TV lol. 2500 is as high as I can go for both but I want the best I can get with the money.
    Hello Daisy!

I know this can all look confusing but understand that the "HD" nomenclature is now named 720p & 1080p. Any Plasma TV, LCD, LCOS, or DLP, over 42 inches should be 1080p. 720p (progressive scan) is good for any TV set under 42 inches. I also think you have a good budget to work with and the TVs continue to get better. Plasma is now 60,000 hours until half brightness or eight hours a day for the next 25 years.

Thanks for the guide Bob. Buying a TV is kind of like rocket science now huh????I think I am leaning towards the LCD. I probably just need HD ready not plasma. I just want something we can watch movies on. My living room is huge so I have alot of wasted space that could much better be utilized with a big screen TV LOL.

Ok Bob only one more question and I cant seem to find the answer. What is the difference in an LCD and rear projection? If you know of links that will explain it send them my way.......I want a really big TV lol

w/ that budget, I'd look into a entry-level home theater HD projector ($1000-1500) + a high-contrast screen ($200-500) + a ready-out-of-the-box 7.1 dvd/audio system (< $1000).

but that's just me... and the screen will (can) be bigger than any 50-60" TV
    Last edited by -scott-; 06-11-2006 at 12:27 PM.