Thread: E-Stim Questions Help

E-Stim Questions Help

Hard to maintain my current exercise routine, so need an alternate.
    Iv been Considering on Trying out E-stim for my legs in hopes of Improving:

My legs gets Stiff to the point of burning if I do not stretch them every few hours.
    Legs are slowly losing Mass (3 1/2 yrs post)
    Not sure If they developed atrophy or not, but only can assume they are slowly.

I don't have a SCI doc or Psychical therapist to consult. Yet I do have a GP which i can get a prescription for it. (Suggestions on how my Doctor should word it in attempts to get insurance to pay for a Device?, ) if not Ill need to pay out of pocket, and my pockets are empty.

Below is a site which sells different devices.. Ideas on what unit (type) would be best (They did have a lil trouble getting a response at rehab after only 1 try)

Only thing I know is not to get the TENS.

http://www.healiohealth.com/tek9.asp...oducts&grp=459

Galvanic Stimulation Digital High Volt Pulsed Galvanic Stimulator

Galvanic Stimulator

Probes and Clips
    Microcurrent Stimulation
    Interferential Therapy Devices
    TENS/EMS Combo Units
    Electro Acupuncture
    Muscle Stimulators Muscle Stimulator
    Tens Unit Tens Units

Thanks,
    Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
    "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
    ====================
    If you stare long enough,
    I may do a Trick....

i got mine and medicare does approve them with a script from your doctor, you don't need a PT to qualify for one. i have a tens/ems unit and it came with two sets (four individual) of small pads and also large pads, so eight in total. mine also came with two sets of rechargeable batteries that has the charger too. the brand name is empi.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

FES can help to manage/reduce spasticity and/or used to prevent/reverse muscle atrophy. There are various units out there but try to find one that has pulse width of 250-400 micro seconds, pulse per-seconds 50-80 and a micro amp upper limit of 30-40 (usually more than enough). Make sure the units has the above parameters if you are looking for something along the line of a functional contraction. If insurance will not cover make sure to ask for their whole sale price (out of pocket cost). This could be a savings of several hundred dollars (I know some units go $1200, but whole sale for 500-600. There is a substantial amount of literature to support FES use. There is even literature that supports the use of FES with resistance (light ankle wgts combined with FES during long arc quads - leg extensions). What is your injury level? Upper motor neuron injuries respond better to FES.

Wildwilly
    “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

http://www.healiohealth.com/tek9.asp...cific=jnnqlom8

looks good and cheap.....if you have to buy it yourself

the pads and the surface area are what I would focus on..... most any unit can cycle and shock your muscles (with the same 9v battery)but the pads and contact gel determine how deep a flex you will get.....
    another thing to consider is protein, www.bodybuilding.com can give you some different strategies.....if your in to building
    a lack of protein will cause your body to take it from the most ready source, your muscles..... most serious body builders even take supplemental protein through out the night.....(this is the bodies protection mode to keep your vital organs in tip top condition)
    so if you do start a stem program, consider nutrition to complement the effort

jm2c

The currently intensity is proportional to the size of the pad. Depth of penetration and response however depends on multiple factors, muscle mass, sub Q tissue, swelling, edema, level/type of injury.... Regardless of the cost of a unit, you need a unit that lets you adjust parameters. Different muscle groups will require different parameters. Additionally, if the unit has enough flexibility in the parameters it can be used for pain management as well. There really is no difference between FES, NMES, TENs, Russian, High Volt, Interferential... The only difference is that High volt use direct current. Other wise these are all example of transcutaneous electrical nerve/muscle stimulation.

Wildwilly
    “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

I think the best thing to do is to find a rehab close to you that has an ergys that will give you the best out come , I have a small fes unit and it is good but you will spend alot of time using it were as if you road a ergys three times a week you will see the best out come .

Thanks guys for the Suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by atvnut View Post
    I think the best thing to do is to find a rehab close to you that has an ergys that will give you the best out come , I have a small fes unit and it is good but you will spend alot of time using it were as if you road a ergys three times a week you will see the best out come .
    I wish I could, But Believe it or not, Im losing my Medicaid because I own a House. I would need to sell my house (for a huge loss) for them to maintain my coverage. If only I knew that Working for a Living Pre SCI, would result in Not one ounce of Gov.Assistance when needed. Although its too late, but Iv also Learned that Being honest on Gov. Applications isn't a good Idea.
    (The saga of Lack of Gov/Health. assistance for 100% ANYTHING, continues..)
    Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
    "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
    ====================
    If you stare long enough,
    I may do a Trick....