Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelability PHC III hand controls

Wheelability PHC III hand controls

Whew, they sure got here fast! I ordered them Wednesday afternoon and the postman just delivered them. Oregon to Florida Keys priority mail. $9.50 included in the purchase price for internet orders.

First impression - At $310 there seems to be a decent profit margin in this product. Not shoddy, but light built.

Second impression - instructions very casual and a little rambling. Definately wriitten by a human, not a corporation.

I'm eager to hook them up and go scare the neighbors. Will report back as I learn more.

FWIW - talked to "Tom" at Wheelibilty prior to purchase. He couldn't have been any nicer. He encouraged me to return the controls for a full refund if they didn't suit me for ANY reason.

Foolish

Make Sure

the twist knobs are all tight and the chain is over the brake pedal and make sure they are not binding on anything. With the car turned off, once you get them installed, floor the gas pedal a few times all the way open and make sure it does not stick and then push down on the brake pedal very hard a few times to make sure there is no binding there. When you start out driving be very cautious until you get the feel of them. I have had mine a couple of years and had them in and out of maybe a few hundred cars and never had any problems since I always made sure I put them in properly. I use to have a used car lot and would put them in cars so I could test drive them to find any problems with the cars.

Thanks Curt

Your recomendation of the PHC in an earlier thread factored into my decision to buy that brand.

We stayed out late last night, so today was not the day to test the controls. Hope to get to it tomorrow. I'll be sure to follow your advice.

Foolish

Foolish,

Did you have a chance to try em out? How'd it go?
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    Foolish,

Did you have a chance to try em out? How'd it go?
    Went up to Miami yesterday. Logged 249 miles round trip. Lots of different road/driving conditions.

Awkward at first - but it got easier as I relaxed. Learned I can use Left thumb to steer while working the gas (but not the brake).

Hardest thing was signalling lane changes in heavy, fast traffic. Need to rig an extension to use the left mounted turn signal with my right hand. Scratching left ear is hard too.

Fixed controls should be much easier.

they seem to really vary from car to car

some cars they are great, other cars they suck. Also depends on how you install them, you have to play with the adjustments on gas pedal rod length and brake pedal rod length until you get the angle where it feels just right.

Hey Curt, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have some portable controls around, if I might ask, how long on average does it take you to slap some of those into a car?

No longer than 5 minutes in most cars

And then another minute to give them the torture test to make sure they are not going anywhere.

I think it is a very good investment to have them, it is great with rental cars not having to go through their foolish departments in having to request a car with hand controls, it is such a hassle, I normally book rental cars online and the only rental car company where you can request hand controls online is Hertz and I find they generally have higher prices than most of the others so I dont like to rent from them.

Not one counter agent has even asked me when I rent a car with no handcontrols, guess they just assume I can use my legs or something, so have not had any problems in renting.

The other cool thing is say you need to borrow someones car in an emergency, with this controls as long as the car is automatic, no problem.

I agree totally. The new ride needs to go in on monday for some whiny tranny noise (never buy a car in the rain), and I shudder to think about how the service loaner (sourced through Enterprise) w/ hand controls is going to work out. So far all that is known is that 'its in the fleet'. Should be interesting how long it takes to show up at the dealership if it somewhere far away.

This is my story regarding the phc III.

I was out of rehab and finally it was time for my TLSO to come off. I wanted to install permanent controls on my car and they required either a certificate from a special hand control driving course or a hand control authorized driver's licence.

One very good friend I had met in rehab offered to lend them to me to give it a shot. I had someone put them in the car (ever since I install them in a couple of minutes) and drove slowly around the neighborhood, after about 15 minutes I took the car out to the street. It was really a piece of cake after a few minutes, except that I had to be careful with balance issues. A couple of days later I passed my driver's licence test and had the permanent controls installed.

Afterwards I decided to buy them anyways as a back up set and for travel. I have used them a lot. I think this piece is a must have for independence.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003