Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kicking butt with Uroquid Acid

Kicking butt with Uroquid Acid

I know several of you are using Hiprex/Mandelamine/Methenamine/etc.

Research shows it's not always helpful. KLD has posted that it might not help Foley users and sphincterotomy/stent folks. Because it has to be in the bladder for some time before the transformation to formaldehyde will happen.

My urine hangs around in my bladder. I also take 10,000 mg of Vitamin C everyday to make sure my urine is acidified. That also greatly helps the methenamine do its thing. I avoid dairy products and especially antacids. And Uroquid is a variety that includes 500mg of Sodium Acid Phosphate. All designed to make the drug work better.

After using Gentamicin for an UTI, followed by not using Uroquid Acid like I should have, my WBC count shot up to 10-14. On the verge of a UTI in less than a month. After restarting Uroquid Acid my WBC count has gone down to 5-9. First time in my life that my WBC count has gone down.

I went a long time [for me] with no UTI during my last stint with Uroquid Acid. Unfortunately I went off it and got infected.

This time I feel like I will never have another UTI. Seriously. Despite the odds. And this from the guy who's had more UTIs than anyone.

If you feel like you qualify for Uroquid Acid then please don't hesitate. I feel like a totally new person!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

i don't know if 10 grams daily of ascorbic acid (vit c) would ever be recommended. i would research this further before you potentially run into problems.

Thanks, crags. Below is a little research.

Eight placebo-controlled, double-blind studies and six non-placebo clinical trials in which up to 10,000 mg of vitamin C was consumed daily for up to 3 years confirm the safety of vitamin C in high doses. [J Am Coll Nut 14: 124-36, 1995]

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/bsardi.html

I have to take a bunch of loperamide so that the Vitamin C will not cause diarrhea. Here is an interesting Vitamin C 10 gram liposomal delivery product.

http://www.arrowheadhealthworks.com/lipo_C.htm

This interesting link puts 10 grams in the medium dose category.

Very low dose: < 1 gram.
    Low dose: 1 to 3 grams.
    Medium dose: 3 to 15 grams.
    High dose: 15 to 30 grams.
    Very high dose: 30 to 50 grams.
    Ultra high dose: 50 grams or more.

http://www.electroherbalism.com/Natu...mins/VitaminC/

Vitamin C is actually well tolerated in large doses. From everything I've read. The worst side effect is diarrhea. People actually take high dose Vitamin C intravenously for this reason. High doses are used as a supplement in the treatment of many, many different acute and chronic illnesses. So there is reliable data indicating little or no risk.

Hey Jeff, is uroquid prescribed by a dr.?

sounds like you have found what i been needing,

but im confused(likeusual)

what exactly is it you take daily?

uroquid(how much)+10,000mg of lipo-c ? anything else?

i'll emphasize what jeff has said about uroquid acid. i intermittent cath 4-6 times a day, t4-6 complete para, and since i started takin it, i've only had like 2 uti's in 2 years that i had to actually treat. i'm not sure what strength it is but i take 1 pill in morning with some cranberry juice, and 1 pill in evening with 500mg vit. c. i also watch drinking milk, usually only with a meal or make sure i'm drinkin plenty of other fluids to run it through me. and yes, dr. prescribed, runs about 18 bucks for a month's supply around where i live, and not all pharmacy's carry it regular.

free to be me

Thanks, Stratman. Good to hear you're getting the same results.

CLC - Uroquid Acid #2 is 500mg of Mandelamine and 500mg of sodium acid phosphate. The latter helps acidify your urine to make sure the mandelamine can do its job properly. Because acid urine is so important for mandelamine to work I usually take the big ten g's of vitamin c [ascorbic acid] every day just to make quadruple sure I'm getting all the bang I can out of the mandelamine. Lately, however, I'm experimenting with taking only 4 grams of vitamin c per day. Just trying different ways to avoid diarrhhea. Hoping this will allow me to consume fewer fiber supplements.

I also take cranberry powder every day. So controlling potential diarrhea is a big must in my life. I have a complicated schedule of supplements I take, but, what the hell....it's better than getting UTIs.

BTW, other names for mandelamine/uroquid that you will hear are:

Generic and brand names: methenamine compounds, oral; methenamine hippurate, oral; methenamine mandelate, oral; Atrosept; Cystex; Dolsed; Hiprex; Mandelamine; Mandelamine Forte; Prosed/DS; Trac Tabs 2X; Urex; Uridon Modified; Urimar T; Urisedamine; Uritin; Uro-Phosphate; Urogesic Blue; Uroquid Acid #2

Well... it's been a year since I restarted Uroquid Acid. My WBC count [in urine] last I checked in like December 2003 had steadily drifted down to zero. Today I got results back from a checkup urine culture just to see what's in my bladder. No WBC and no bacteria. Totally normal in every other way, too.

Life is so good!

Uroqid

In an older post Jeff Weeks and others mentioned using "Uroqid Acid No.2" in preventing UTI's... A few days ago I asked my urologist to put me on this med and he agreed.

What dosage do you guys find works best? 1 (500mg) pill in the morning and 1 at night? Or double that?

Thank you all in advance. Esp. Jeff!

I can contest for Uroqid Acid too. I take 1 500mg in morning and 1 500mg at night. I started 7 months ago and have not had a hint of a UTI. Mine cost me $25/month...well worth it.

Rusty, mine was prescribed at 1 gram 2x a day, but I actually take it only once a day, as it was causing heartburn. When I started taking it just a night it wasn;t a problem, and still seems to work fine. I have been on it about 2 years. After having a uti at least every other month, I now have has one since starting it, at a time when I accidentally let the script run out. Good enough proof for me.

My doc did say that it doesn;t work for every one.

BTW, I take it just at night, I understand, it has to stay around in your bladder for a while to be effective. I cath a lot in the day, but go a long stretch at night.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005