Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I thought I would lose weight!?!?!

Sigh. You're always so much more eloquent than me.

Yah, what she said.

Ami (who gets easily worked up about 'bout stuff)
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Ami ... {{{{hug}}}} .....

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Chopperchick, the proper way to feel is how you're feeling right now. The proper way to care for you and yours is what works for y'all. We who have blazed some of the path you're on can tell ya what we do, or what we did that didn't work out. Over here's the easy way, over there is a harder way but the trip is worth it, and way over there are lions and tigers and bears.
    The weight gain may be muscle yanno. If you're more physically active, doing ROM for example, or bending to pick up his reacher that he dropped again, or moving furniture, all in addition to what you did before, you may be losing fat and gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more. If your pity parties involve chocolate, you may need to walk it off more.
    And yes, it is okay to say your feet hurt, or your back, or your pinkie you jammed. There's only one person who can say 'I've got it worse than you, and you, and you, and everyone.' (Don't expect much sympathy if you get a bladder infection tho .)
    Realize too that some of these experts knew as much as you do now a year ago.
    Take an afternoon off. Sleep, run, take a bath long enough you have to add more hot water, but make it official. "Sweetheart, your bladder's emtpy, your tummy's full, here's the remote. I will be napping for three hours. If you wake me, I'd better be hearing sirens or seeing blood. I love you now, and will love you more when I'm feeling better."
    You will get through this. You'll wonder why you, of all your friends, got picked to be the 'strong one'. After the first year, you're entitled to one pity party a month, unless a hospital trip is involved. There will be months you won't need one. Really.
    be well
    walkin

Great post! Lol, took me a minute to figure out 'muscle yanno'; thought it was some new California thing!

Sorry Marm, I tend to write the way I sound, and my Dad was born an Okie . For southern talk, my favorite was when, as a little girl, I went fishing with my gram. As we squeezed thru a barbwire fence, she held the wire a little lower and said "Don't get your mustn'ttouchit caught." Took me a while to figure out what my 'mustn'ttouchit' was. The correct southern pronunciation didn't help either- mussintouchit. Clue- it's three words, the middle one is 'touch'.
    walkin

If you wake me, I'd better be hearing sirens or seeing blood. I love you now, and will love you more when I'm feeling better."
    I use that one!! "are you bleeding???" no "then leave me alone!"

lmao

Quote Originally Posted by walkin and rollin
    Sorry Marm, I tend to write the way I sound, and my Dad was born an Okie . For southern talk, my favorite was when, as a little girl, I went fishing with my gram. As we squeezed thru a barbwire fence, she held the wire a little lower and said "Don't get your mustn'ttouchit caught." Took me a while to figure out what my 'mustn'ttouchit' was. The correct southern pronunciation didn't help either- mussintouchit. Clue- it's three words, the middle one is 'touch'.
    walkin
    That cracks me up as I know EXACTLY what you mean!!!!

For all of you caregivers: THANK GOD FOR YOU!!!!!!! We SCIs have gone through a horrible life changing experience and WOULD NOT have made it were it not for you.
    My mom and husband have persevered through my past 17yrs of this hell and I am so grateful to them.
    Thank God for the Caregiver's forum. I wish I could give you SO MUCH more for all you have given to us. I love you all, Shannon
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

Quote Originally Posted by Jessecj7
    wait a min, your AB??? and your bitching to a bunch of SCIs about a hard time losing weight?!?!?!
    Um Jesse, where's the apology? You went into the caregivers forum, assumed someone was addressing you (nice ego there, by the way), misread the post, got called on it, and now you have nothing to say? I'm pretty sure all the caregivers posting here are 'AB???'; she wasn't 'bitching to a bunch of SCIs', and she's not having a 'hard time losing weight'.
    You seem like a decent guy, and I'd think PMS if I didn't know better , but this was wrong in every way. If you want to rant, you do it in Life. If I want to rant, I come here. Think about how together your family had it less than three months post. You seem young, and I bet there were panic moments for your folks that you will never know about, times when they weren't questioning whether you would survive, but whether they would. Just something to keep in mind when you see another newbie post. Be kind.

As for Donz, just grow up.
    whine no more...for i am sick of it
    Guess what? SO IS SHE. Nice attitude for a caregiver.
    Not a caregiver? Then does that mean I can go into Life, find a rant by a SCI, and tell them to 'whine no more...for I am sick of it' and you'd support me in the ensuing lynching? I can never know what you're going thru? Guess what cowboy? You can never know what caregivers go thru. You realize we are all here by choice? I understand loving devoted spouses (hi Obieone and the rest of the gang ) aren't going to leave at the snap of a bone, but they could. They could walk away from all this and live longer, have better health, and never have to worry about parking again. Don't be snippy to people going thru something you will never know.
    walkin

Remember I'm pullin' for ya, we're all in this together" Red Green
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

I needed a good chuckle today, and this site gave me one!!!!! i have never been to this care giving site (i also have come to dislike the word caregiver) but oh well, we have some major adapting to do in all this. Wives and husbands!!!!!!!
    But you are right about just letting people vent, Sometimes you gotta let go somewhere, so why not here.