Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: who saves IM logs & email messages?

Well now I wish you'd post the damned IM LOL. Lawsuit over an IM? Musta been better than any I've had. I don't save them, it's just junk to me.

I think my yahoo automatically archives my IM's, but I never use them. I save emails with important info in them a lot like addresses or phone numbers until I get around to writing them down. Procrastination means they are still in my inbox. Also have saved emails with pictures until I get them saved or burned.

As far as personal emails, I delete them as soon as I reply. Hate clutter even though I'm sorta a packrat. I've had people use my emails and IM's against me to hurt me though. Never trusted people before, that just reinforced it.

If you don't want something known, never write or speak of it.
    That's your only guarantee. Never trust anybody.

Anyway, saving some things isn't necessarily bad...it just depends on the savers intentions.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    I only save important emails. You're not save this conversation are you? Thats it! i'm leav..................................
    LMFAO

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    Saving them is for pack-rats and blackmail
    i couldn't agree more. i save important emails for contact and reference purposes. i know a lot of people i know are switching to G-Mail because u can hold as much emailed mp3's as u want. ( primarily my business ) .

but honestly i think saving aim conversations are wrong and i will stick to that. and if ur computer does save them....what's the point in going back and looking at them? Yesterday's news.

Out w/ the old- in with the new.

Quote Originally Posted by november

If you don't want something known, never write or speak of it.
    That's your only guarantee. Never trust anybody.
    AGREED.

I think only when u feel "special" or "important" do u fear blackmail anyhow.

Many years ago, i had a 15 year old boy try to seduce me over the internet and than try to use it against me. He told me he had saved all the convo's ..i didn't believe him and asked to see them. I never heard from him again.
    Last edited by spidergirl; 07-24-2006 at 11:00 PM.

....??!!!??!!
    Last edited by spidergirl; 07-24-2006 at 11:01 PM.

I save important e-mails & IM stuff but usually clean out stuff once a month or so. its mostly because I have handwriting issues.

I don't save IMs. I used to have all my emails, until we got another modem and I couldn't be bothered to save my emails. I don't miss them.

I don't see what is wrong with saving IMs or emails.

People don't think there is anything wrong with keeping letters, do they?
    As an inveterate penpaller of many years, er, standing, I used to keep all my letters...until I went crazy last year and chucked them all away (we are talking well over 200 letters at least). I didn't think it was wrong to keep my letters...I just realized there was no point in having them as they had all been reread a few times and I wasn't going to read them again.

I hardly do IM (or similar messaging)

I save my personal (gov't, legal, friends, love, etc.) emails. Who knows?, someday I might be as famous as Lincoln

Can you imagine if this was lost?
    SOURCE: http://showcase.netins.net/web/creat...es/greeley.htm

Executive Mansion,
    Washington, August 22, 1862.

Hon. Horace Greeley:
    Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable [sic] in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free.

Yours,
    A. Lincoln.
    This is a Google on "famous letters".

We could have missed out on letters written by Shakespeare, Keats, Victor Hugo, Napoleon and dozens of other famous people.

Cheers!

PD. This is a gem! -- 30 years later he's still talking about this.

AN OPEN LETTER TO HOBBYISTS
    By William Henry Gates III

February 3, 1976

An Open Letter to Hobbyists

To me, the most critical thing in the hobby market right now is the lack of good software courses, books and software itself. Without good software and an owner who understands programming, a hobby computer is wasted. Will quality software be written for the hobby market?

Almost a year ago, Paul Allen and myself, expecting the hobby market to expand, hired Monte Davidoff and developed Altair BASIC. Though the initial work took only two months, the three of us have spent most of the last year documenting, improving and adding features to BASIC. Now we have 4K, 8K, EXTENDED, ROM and DISK BASIC. The value of the computer time we have used exceeds $40,000.

The feedback we have gotten from the hundreds of people who say they are using BASIC has all been positive. Two surprising things are apparent, however, 1) Most of these "users" never bought BASIC (less than 10% of all Altair owners have bought BASIC), and 2) The amount of royalties we have received from sales to hobbyists makes the time spent on Altair BASIC worth less than $2 an hour.

Why is this? As the majority of hobbyists must be aware, most of you steal your software. Hardware must be paid for, but software is something to share. Who cares if the people who worked on it get paid?

Is this fair? One thing you don't do by stealing software is get back at MITS for some problem you may have had. MITS doesn't make money selling software. The royalty paid to us, the manual, the tape and the overhead make it a break-even operation. One thing you do do is prevent good software from being written. Who can afford to do professional work for nothing? What hobbyist can put 3-man years into programming, finding all bugs, documenting his product and distribute for free? The fact is, no one besides us has invested a lot of money in hobby software. We have written 6800 BASIC, and are writing 8080 APL and 6800 APL, but there is very little incentive to make this software available to hobbyists. Most directly, the thing you do is theft.

What about the guys who re-sell Altair BASIC, aren't they making money on hobby software? Yes, but those who have been reported to us may lose in the end. They are the ones who give hobbyists a bad name, and should be kicked out of any club meeting they show up at.

I would appreciate letters from any one who wants to pay up, or has a suggestion or comment. Just write to me at 1180 Alvarado SE, #114, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87108. Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market with good software.

Bill Gates

General Partner, Micro-Soft
    Last edited by LaoziSailor; 07-25-2006 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Add the letter from William Henry Gates III
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    Saving them is for pack-rats and blackmail
    You think we're all blackmailers?