Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: who saves IM logs & email messages?

In college I saved SOOO many IM's. Scott, you know all to well how the JMU girls can be. I would save my IM's all the time that I had at night so I could remember them in the morning. I was clearing out my old computer about a year ago and read abunch of them and.....well..WOW is all I can say.

I sure have changed tons since them. Some of the stuff I said and did was very 20 year old'ish and college like.

I save mine too...my IM program logs them, I don't even think about it.....E-mails, I only delete junk mail or weed thru stuff when my mailbox nears it's capacity....I've been able to go back and search my IM logs numerous times for phone numbers or e-mail addresses I'd thought I'd lost otherwise...nice and handy that way..
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I've never saved an entire IM convo, BUT I do occasionally use my friendly copy and paste to save stuff that might be of use to me. And emails? I usually delete them as soon as I read them unless I think it's important to keep. Like Pash, too many emails drives me nutzo.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by CurlieQCarrie
    Like Pash, too many emails drives me nutzo.
    me too.

Smile

Save all Im's. and most Emails. I have most emails from all my X's. Why? dunno.
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

The few IM's I have been involved in I didn't log. Personaly I wouldn't log an IM even if something incriminating was said. I have kept logs of technical conversations regarding tips, tricks, how to's, etc. but nothing ever personal. I can't stand people that post logs of conversations made 3 years ago trying to out someone for something, it is childish. Emails I only keep the ones that relate to important information mostly financial. I just think it isn't nessessary to keep the email of the joke that was passed around to a gagillion people by some relative that has your address in their address book and has nothing better to do then forward crap like that.
    Teyrn

I have the majority of mine. I'm one of these people that's afraid to throw anything out -bc I just. might. need. it. ugh...drives me nuts.

once in a while, I get this wild hair and throw everything out. I have to do my yearly cleaning when I'm in one of thse moods or i never successfully clean.

Well, here's the deal. I got into a little fight with someone a few days ago & emailed them yesterday, referencing an IM. Immediately I was pegged as "scary" and "threatening" b/c this person assumed IMs are impossible to retrieve unless intentionally saved... haha... well, my IM clients just log stuff in the background & I rarely have a need to go back to them. I probably have over thousands saved from several years, and they probably all together take up less disk space than 1-2 music albums. I've been threatened with a suit if I ever share conversations I had with this person with anyone else. I have no reason to... but hello people, anything you put into writing can be saved somehow or another. It's just common sense. Welcome to the electronic age.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton8
    In college I saved SOOO many IM's. Scott, you know all to well how the JMU girls can be. I would save my IM's all the time that I had at night so I could remember them in the morning. I was clearing out my old computer about a year ago and read abunch of them and.....well..WOW is all I can say.

I sure have changed tons since them. Some of the stuff I said and did was very 20 year old'ish and college like.
    yeah, that's a different context than what I posted about. I've never intentionally saved a convo w/ a girl so I could read it again in the morning. But ahhh, JMU women... who can blame ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    I save mine too...my IM program logs them, I don't even think about it.....E-mails, I only delete junk mail or weed thru stuff when my mailbox nears it's capacity....I've been able to go back and search my IM logs numerous times for phone numbers or e-mail addresses I'd thought I'd lost otherwise...nice and handy that way..
    Yup, see I use mail clients that download all my email. I have no worry of nearing server capacity/quota. With close to a terabyte of hard drive space, who cares? I empty my junk mail folder frequently, but that's about it.

Even a few months ago I was able to search back to an email I got back in '99 to find contact info for people I interacted with when I was in rehab. That was handy.

Quote Originally Posted by teyrn
    The few IM's I have been involved in I didn't log. Personaly I wouldn't log an IM even if something incriminating was said. I have kept logs of technical conversations regarding tips, tricks, how to's, etc. but nothing ever personal. I can't stand people that post logs of conversations made 3 years ago trying to out someone for something, it is childish. Emails I only keep the ones that relate to important information mostly financial. I just think it isn't nessessary to keep the email of the joke that was passed around to a gagillion people by some relative that has your address in their address book and has nothing better to do then forward crap like that.
    agreed. My situation involved a conversation from a few days ago. I agree that it's stupid to out someone going years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis
    I have the majority of mine. I'm one of these people that's afraid to throw anything out -bc I just. might. need. it. ugh...drives me nuts.
    Packrat. Nah, I do the same. My email is fairly organized, just dates way back. It's been useful many times.

Quote Originally Posted by curlieqcarrie
    And emails? I usually delete them as soon as I read them unless I think it's important to keep. Like Pash, too many emails drives me nutzo.
    same here... i fwd. only the best jokes and vids., but trash the others.. i feel ''caught up'' when my inbox has 20 or less messages..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

I save lots of my emails, even from the dead people..go figure...internet..lol
    1FineSpineRN