Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help finding batteries

need help finding batteries

Does anyone know where a person can get replacement batteries for a power chair? The local dealer in my area says it will cost $140 each for 2 batteries for my chair. Seems kind of high to me. I can't see paying that much because I'm working on getting a new chair right as I speak. I just don't know how long it's going to take to get it. I have to do something though, my batteries barely last 6 hours and thats not doing much running around since I can drive. Can anyone help me?

I just replaced the batteries in my Quickie P-300. It takes the "Group 24" size batteries. The other size that both Quickie and Invacare use is the "22-NF" batteries.

The MK [brand] Battery is the standard, but the cheapest for them is $120.00 each and $145 for the Group 24.

I decided to go with the Interstate [brand] Batteries.
    They make both sizes Group 24 and the 22-NF and other sizes as well.
    Both batteries are the sealed gel acid battery

The Interstate # DSC-75BT is a 12V 75 Ah @ 20hr Deep Cycle Sealed AGM "Group 24" [that I paid $95.00 each].

The Interstate # DSC-50U is the 12V 50 Ah @ 20 hr Deep Cycle Sealed AGM Group 22-NF [they cost $69.00 each for my friend's Invacare Ranger].

I purchased mine from my mechanic, who also sells Interstate batteries.
    They are nothing to change...except somewhat heavy...
    I'm sure you can find an Interstate supplier/dealer in your area.
    Plus, for the price, you can buy two sets for the price of one set of MKs.

Rick
    P.S. here is the reference guide page of Interstate
    http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content...KLRJKSCXP1F5B8
    Last edited by ROXnROLZ; 06-06-2006 at 05:35 PM.

Try Batteries Plus....Over the years I've bought a bunch of different specialized batteries from them and they're always the cheapest price I find. We happen to have local stores here, but they have a website as well. I learned of them when I worked for SeaWorld, we always had obscure battery needs. I've never bought a w/c battery from them however, but it's worth a try.

http://batteriesplus.com/
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Thanks guys for posting so quickly and with so much good information.
    How do you know what batteries to get? I just went to the local w/c shop and had a guy attempt to tell me what I needed today. My stickers are worn off the frame and I have no paperwork for my chair so the guy couldn't tell me whether or not I needed the "24" or the "22." Personally I think the guy was useless and didn't know what he was doing but thats just my opinion of that shop as it is. Anyway, I have a 7 year old Invacare Arrow if anyone happens to know what it might take. I can't believe the MK batteries are so expensive. I can see myself getting Interstate batteries if I can ever find out which ones I need. What is the difference between the two types? Are they different sizes? I see they operate at different rates. The guy at the shop tells me which ever one will fit in the battery box will work just fine. I'll believe that as far as I can throw the chair.
    I'm tempted to stop by a car dealership and have them help me out.

Thanks again!
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by ROXnROLZ
    I just replaced the batteries in my Quickie P-300. It takes the "Group 24" size batteries. The other size that both Quickie and Invacare use is the "22-NF" batteries.

The MK [brand] Battery is the standard, but the cheapest for them is $120.00 each and $145 for the Group 24.

I decided to go with the Interstate [brand] Batteries.
    They make both sizes Group 24 and the 22-NF and other sizes as well.
    Both batteries are the sealed gel acid battery

The Interstate # DSC-75BT is a 12V 75 Ah @ 20hr Deep Cycle Sealed AGM "Group 24" [that I paid $95.00 each].

The Interstate # DSC-50U is the 12V 50 Ah @ 20 hr Deep Cycle Sealed AGM Group 22-NF [they cost $69.00 each for my friend's Invacare Ranger].

I purchased mine from my mechanic, who also sells Interstate batteries.
    They are nothing to change...except somewhat heavy...
    I'm sure you can find an Interstate supplier/dealer in your area.
    Plus, for the price, you can buy two sets for the price of one set of MKs.

Rick
    P.S. here is the reference guide page of Interstate
    http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content...KLRJKSCXP1F5B8

Chris-
    The batteries themselves will have the info on them as to what they were...If you buy the same size/type/rating batteries, then you will be set. It is important to make sure that they ALSO fit in your battery case and you can't always tell by just "looking" at it(as I recently found out with my jetski..oops ) The battery will have a model number on it that any good battery supply place will be able to cross reference if they don't carry that brand as well to make sure that they get the right one.

A stop at the auto parts store isn't a bad idea....they can help ya get all this info off of your battery and may even know of a good local place to get 'em from.

ETA:the info is usually printed ON the battery casing so as it won't wear off etc...MUCH HELPFUL considering that batteries usually last a long time and have those oh-so wonderful chemicals in them....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

I've heard of people using 'marine' batteries from Costco. Go ask at www.wheelchairjunkie.com

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinman13
    Thanks guys for posting so quickly and with so much good information.
    How do you know what batteries to get? I just went to the local w/c shop and had a guy attempt to tell me what I needed today. My stickers are worn off the frame and I have no paperwork for my chair so the guy couldn't tell me whether or not I needed the "24" or the "22." Personally I think the guy was useless and didn't know what he was doing but thats just my opinion of that shop as it is. Anyway, I have a 7 year old Invacare Arrow if anyone happens to know what it might take. I can't believe the MK batteries are so expensive. I can see myself getting Interstate batteries if I can ever find out which ones I need. What is the difference between the two types? Are they different sizes? I see they operate at different rates. The guy at the shop tells me which ever one will fit in the battery box will work just fine. I'll believe that as far as I can throw the chair.
    I'm tempted to stop by a car dealership and have them help me out.

Thanks again!
    chris

Chris,
    It's hard to determine which batteries your Arrow has because the Arrow can use both depending on whether you have a tilt-seat or the extra power package etc.

The batteries themselves should have the information on them of being either "Group 24" or "Group 22-NF" Both are 12 volt. 22-NF are lower profile.

Here are the indications for the batteries that can also help:

Group 22-NF are 12V 50Ah Rough Size = 9" L x 5-1/2" W x 8-1/2" H [exactly in inches: 8.99 L X 5.47 W X 8.66 H] with "SAE auto terminals"

Group 24 are 12V 75Ah Exact Size = 10.76" L X 6.93" W X 8.67" H with stud auto terminals. Rough size would be approx: 10-3/4" L X 7" W X 8-3/4"

I'm trying to convert decimals to fractions. But, the Group 24 are roughly the size of a standard car battery and the 22-NF are lower in profile.

This information should be written (stamped) right on the battery.
    It's the size that is most important because both are 12V and both will run the chair, but a Group 24 will not fit in a 22-NF battery case and a 22-NF won't fit in the Group 24 case. It's size more than anything, then it's terminal type.

I know that the Invacare Storm Arrow will take either battery depending on how the chair is set up with seating and electronics. If your serial number is worn or gone or even the batteries have no markings, the size and terminals will tell you everything. It can only be one or the other.

If you can find an auto parts store that sells Interstate Batteries or an Interstate dealer that is a tire store or such as that, then they should install the batteries no problem. The battery boxes come out easily enough and it's just like changing car batteries.

The Interstate model and part numbers that I gave you above are valid for the information on getting the right Interstate once you have determined size. Don't let them jack up the price on you either much more than I showed you. Roughly $100 or less for Group 24 and roughly $70 or less for the 22-NF.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2
    I've heard of people using 'marine' batteries from Costco. Go ask at www.wheelchairjunkie.com
    Wheelchair batteries are basically the same as marine batteries, in that they are "deep cycle" batteries. The difference is that wheelchairs use gel acid instead of liquid acid batteries. Some marine batteries that are deep cycle are liquid acid. Not good for wheelchairs.

The wheelchair junkie generally recommends the high-priced MK batteries.
    I can buy two sets of Interstates for the price of one set of MKs.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I found out through a relative here that there is a huge battery store in a town nearby. I went over and had the batteries replaced this afternoon. They were the Group 22-NF type and cost me 69.97 each. A lot better than the local monopoly of a w/c shop. Now I can go for a walk again without fear of being stranded!

Glad we could be of help...

Also glad that you get to go out on your walks again w/out the fear of being stranded...Sounds like you got a good price on them as well. YEAH
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03