Thread: fully electric beds with plates not springs

fully electric beds with plates not springs

Hi there, My brother has been using a Joerns bed since he left rehab 18 years ago. It has plates rather than springs and he's really liked it a lot and would like the same or different bed. However, Joerns went out of business we think and our equipment/insurer can't seem to find an adequate replacement. Any suggestions? Thanks, Clipsonc

This is called a solid pan. Not very easy to find in a homecare hospital bed as it adds significantly to the weight, which makes transport and set up more difficult. Could he use an adjustable bed instead of a hospital bed? There are also a couple of bariatric beds that have solid pans (such as the Triline Bari-10A) that might be worth looking at if you have the room.

(KLD)

He's keen on a solid pan bed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You could add a plywood bed board to a spring frame hospital bed. They make these to sell, but if you are handy they can easily be made yourself out of a sheet of 1/2" plywood and a couple of hinges.

(KLD)

Hey Cathy! By a coincidence, we had just gotten Jim a new bed about 3 months ago, and he loves it. It has steel plates rather than springs, so shouldn't have the sag problem he had with regular hospital bed. It is called the Volker bed and is fully electric. And actually looks good! I bought it from a company in Pa and it was delivered to our house. Check them out on the internet. They special made Jim's in Germany so that a hoyer would fit under it. I looked on the internet and they sent info on request. Good luck.