Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compensation in California

Denied?? That's outrageous!! Just FYI, after digging around I found a program called "in home health care" Basically, I can get paid for helping him but it is based on medi-cal so we have to be on that first.

Get this... after talking at length with the social worker yesterday I said to her " I don't know how people do it" (pay bills with hardly any money) She said "Get divorced"..... I didn't get a bunch of details out of her but she basically said if he wasn't married he would qualify for more programs...????

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    Get this... after talking at length with the social worker yesterday I said to her " I don't know how people do it" (pay bills with hardly any money) She said "Get divorced"..... I didn't get a bunch of details out of her but she basically said if he wasn't married he would qualify for more programs...????
    well...i doubt it's the kinda money worth ending a marriage. then again...NO amount of money dshould be worth ending a marriage.

In all seriousness, if ending the marriage would let us keep our house feed the kids and put clothes on them, I would do it. We could still live as a couple. It is just shitty how the system works.

After the SW told me that, I mentoned it to the PT who was here and she agreed and said she has had patients who have divorced to collect more money but cautioned me not to run out and get a divorce. We aren't. Truth be told, I still can't figure out where the extra money would come from??...

IHSS = In Home Supportive Services, which I mentioned above. As you said, you would have to already be on Medi-Cal, and I doubt you will qualify for this any time soon unless you have no savings or assets. Even if you got this, would you be able to afford to support your family by being paid $8.50/hour for 4 hours daily? That comes out to $1020/month before taxes, social security, etc. IHSS generally expects a spouse to provide up to 8 hours of care daily without being paid too.

If you get divorced to qualify for Medi-Cal, you can no longer live together (and yes, they do check). If you do a divorce "on paper" only in CA in order to get benefits, it is considered fraud and you can be prosecuted and heavily fined. No one gets rich off of disability, no matter how you swing it. Even if there is a big settlement, now days it is usually in a structured settlement so you really don't "have" the money.

It is pretty common with a less severe disability (ie, paraplegia or incomplete tetraplegia) to get turned down for SSDI several times before it is approved. Social Security has to determine that you are unemployable to approve SSDI, and the standards for this are pretty stringent. In addition, if the medical records provided are vague, they may not interpret the injury and resulting disability correctly.

As I said before, you may need to put aside your plans for school for now and find a job. You will probably need to be the primary breadwinner for the family until he can go back to work. It is not fair, but unfortunately that is the system we have to live with right now....fairness is not part of the picture.

For those of you on this forum who are not disabled, this is a head's up to consider (if you are a breadwinner) getting private or group long term disability insurance, and also long term care insurance. For many people this makes a bigger difference for your family's long term well-being than does life insurance.

(KLD)

as far as collecting short term or long term disability while collecting ssdi, that depends totally on the your short term disability of LTD policy. some LTD policy you can pay more and not have a ssdi offset, we all know now that is definitely worth it. union contract can specify on how long your std last, in some cases it last ill you retire in on the job accident and workers comp.
    cauda equina

Don was very fortunate... he had LTD through his employer... and I was very fortunate to be working full-time before the accident... I was on vacation when it happened and did not have to take much time off... we were blessed.

In the state of CA, you want to contact In Home Supportive Services (IHSS). Yes, you can get paid for being his caregiver. It isn't much, but it does help!

Mombo, read above. They do not currently have or qualify for Medi-Cal. They cannot get IHSS at this time.

(KLD)

You should probably get in touch with IHSS anyway - Medi-Cal or not. I actually qualify for Medi-Cal through IHSS. Here in Sonoma county we get $10.50 an hour for caregivers. Not much more, but every bit helps. I also have a friend on Kaiser and she also gets IHSS (though I think she also gets SSI). I'd at least look into it - and get in touch with an independant living center.

Good luck
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    My lawyer told us that we can try to get workmens comp and also medi-cal.
    Was he hurt at work? I sorta had the impression that it was a car accident?