Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compensation in California

Compensation in California

First and foremost, my husband is T level para and will be independet eventually. I sometimes get a little bashing from people who think I am babying him so I had to mention that first as my caveat. He is a little over 2 months post injury and still very sore and in an Aspen collar for about 4 more weeks.

I have had several people tell me that if I am caring for him right now, I can get money because I am the primary caregiver. Prior to the accident I was working, but only for 2 months so I can't get FMLA. Anyway, everyone says "My mom got money", or " My friend got money" but where? How?? I have already been to SS office and they are going to give me and my kids a whopping $50 each. Are there funds anywhere else?

Thanks

Hi - I know in Oregon through the State Department of Health and Services you can apply to become a Foster Care Home for a Family Member. If you qualify you can get I think up to $725 per month as primary caregiver. Not sure how it works in CA. Hope that helps....

God bless the USA
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    T level para and will be independet eventually. I
    I noticed in some of your other posts that he has herrington rods. Is he wearing a full body back brace? I am T12 and I had to wear a brace for several months after they placed my rods. I hated that thing.

As far as compensation. Your state should offer some sort of assistance through Social Services (ie food stamps, check for your kids) Ours is not all that great in NC. I wish i could help more......
    Good luck
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Check State of California disability insurance. Its sort of a crazy deal but I guess it works.

I was told I didn't qualify for anything in NC due to my income.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    I was told I didn't qualify for anything in NC due to my income.
    I didnt get anything but my daughter did. I was lucky my family took care of us the 18 months it took to get my social security started. Then back to college and job, back to social security then job, back to social security then job again.......Everytime I have a medical problem. LOL

Seriously, Chopperchick........please talk to your lawyer about some of this. I have known of someone local who lost everything he had because of a car accident. Social Security and state assistance will not provide much.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

My lawyer told us that we can try to get workmens comp and also medi-cal. What is the difference between medical and medicare? We do get disability but that doesn't even pay the mortgage. My family started a trust fund right after the accident so that has supplmented our income.

I was wrong about the harrington rods. I kinda picked up that term here on CC and assumed that is what he had. He actually has titanium rods. We met people in rehab that wore the turtle shell for months. He only wore a TLSO (it wasn't the hard grey shell one) for about 3 weeks and that was only when they put him in the chair. As a matter of fact Dan, it looks like the one you wore in the hospital.

If you have insurance, you may not be able to get medi-cal. Medicare wont kick in until he gets disabilty (takes 18 months ussually) and has been disabled for two years. If he is getting short term disability from his employer, he wont get SSDI until he stops getting the short term.

He should have already applied for disability/medicare through the social worker at your rehab hospital.
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 06-05-2006 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    If you have insurance, you may not be able to get medi-cal. Medicare wont kick in until he gets disabilty (takes 18 months ussually) and has been disabled for two years. If he is getting short term disability from his employer, he wont get SSDI until he stops getting the short term.

He should have already applied for disability/medicare through the social worker at your rehab hospital.
    The wondrous nature of SSDI and Medicare. Back in '79 when I was paralyzed the waiting period for receiving SSDI benefits was 6 months with such a diagnosis. I was on SSI (Welfare I guess it's called) for the first 6 months and then SSDI/Medicare kicked in.

Don't blink or it'll be 3, 4 or 5 years before you need to "prove" to them that you're paralyzed for life! The doctors at the ER knew instantly, after viewing the X-rays, that I'd never walk again. On the Discovery Health Channel show "Life in the ER" and other similar shows the doctors know instantly, with 99% certainty, after viewing the CT scan or MRI, if the patient will ever walk again. And they say so.... and really hate to see it because they know there's nothing they can do to help except perhaps give a high dose of methylprednisolone and "fixate" the spinal break with wires, plates and screws to keep it from getting worse.

I remember trying to get my neurosurgeon to give me a little hope.... so I asked him for some odds. He knew I'd never walk again but trying to be honest yet not dash all my hopes said about 10%. He knew it was zero but was being nice!

Does anyone know if you get retroactive SSDI payments from the date of injury? Minus perhaps the SSI or "Welfare" payments that may have been received?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria