Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building and accessible home

Question Building and accessible home

Hi all,
    We just bought 3 acres of land in Auburn, Nh and I'm looking for some adaptation suggestions for the home we are in the process of planning--anyone have some cool gadgets or suggestions ? I'd love to hear --always looking for a great suggestions or something we didn't think of.

Thanks,
    Nicole

Here's some of what we've thought of :

One story
    Wider doorways
    No thresholds
    Roll in shower
    No cabinets beneath sink
    Accesible toliet
    Front loading washer/dryer
    Pocket doors in bedroom
    Pull down door handles
    Garage--so I don't have to clean off my car in NE winters..
    Superlift pulldown wardrobe closet system

***Thinking about x10 system....anyone have one ?***

Oh ..I'm a t-11-12 SCI and pretty good mobilty wise since i forgot to mention that before.

Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Nicole-
    One item I bought for my bathroom that I'm in the middle of converting that I've found to be a Godsend is a slightly lowered height corner toilet. It's a custom order product and made by Eljer. You can get it in standard height, but I prefer the lower height for a couple of reasons. 1)I'm short (5'3") so when I'm sitting on it, my feet actually sit flat on the ground. 2) even though I can do a standing transfer, there are times(like right now) when I'm sick or my legs are not doing well and I need to slide transfer and it's the same level as my w/c seat. This makes for a nice even transfer.

I've got other ideas specifically for the bathroom if you'd like 'em, I can give you more info on what we're doing in mine....Seems we're at a very similar level and function somewhat similar as well.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I've built many different houses in 25 years and have lived in four of them. I'm now designing two more. As long as I can do everything I need to because of c6-7, I like keeping it simple. I prefer less visible adaptation.
    A good design is more than worth the time it takes. Conventional designers go by ADA and what they design ends up looking like it's wherelchair/handicap specific... iow UGLY!! The designing process is the most important imo. Take your time. You can have a home that works for you and everybody else and doesn't look like it's tailored to a "hadicapped" individual. "live free or die"

Quote Originally Posted by ldykawakii

Garage--so I don't have to clean off my car in NE winters..
    Make that an ATTACHED garage, so you don't have to roll out to it in bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    Nicole-
    One item I bought for my bathroom that I'm in the middle of converting that I've found to be a Godsend is a slightly lowered height corner toilet. It's a custom order product and made by Eljer. You can get it in standard height, but I prefer the lower height for a couple of reasons. 1)I'm short (5'3") so when I'm sitting on it, my feet actually sit flat on the ground. 2) even though I can do a standing transfer, there are times(like right now) when I'm sick or my legs are not doing well and I need to slide transfer and it's the same level as my w/c seat. This makes for a nice even transfer.

I've got other ideas specifically for the bathroom if you'd like 'em, I can give you more info on what we're doing in mine....Seems we're at a very similar level and function somewhat similar as well.

I'd love to hear what your doing, we have a adapted bathroom in the condo we are in now, roll in shower, sink, etc.. The condo is nice but I can't access the third floor so we want a house built for us. It's a great home for someone-elevator for entrance to the first floor, garage, and renovated downstairs but well in the long run with kids I want to be able to egt whereever I need to quickly. We are hoping to sell it to someone in the New Hampshire aera who needs a handicapped accesible home. I just want to make sure we do this new house right from the get go so any suggestions you are willing to give I'd appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Make that an ATTACHED garage, so you don't have to roll out to it in bad weather.
    Definately Attached--love NE but hate snow now. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ldykawakii
    I in the long run with kids I want to be able to egt whereever I need to quickly.
    How true! I met with a peer councelor in rehab who told me before she had a lift put in to her 2nd floor, her daughter (then 6) would run upstairs with a "you can't get me"