Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Heath - nurse and therapy -Vent

Public Heath - nurse and therapy -Vent

This is more just a vent.

I went down for a visit to see my father. Well after seeing the physical therapist visit today I wonder why even bother come out.

The therapist looks at his chart and first question to my father was so I see you can use a walker to walk. My father looks at him and says no I cannot feel anything from the nipples down. So then he asks can you stand.

Fine I understand those question may be necessary.

But He a therapist. Shouldn't he do some therapy? May be some Range of motion on his arms leg ect... The only contact he had with my father was shake his hand... Then he said well I don't think you need physical therapy cause you should be able to do it on your one. But I will cause the public health nurse Monday.

But is she any better, she did not even want to check his pressure sore. It seams like they don't want to do anything.

It seams they do not know a lot about his type of injury which I understand. But at least have a clue on it, read something.

Well thank all for listen to me vent...

This all seems very inappropriate and strange.

What hospital or institution is he in?
    "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
    and sometimes I just sets.
    "

Otis Redding I think

Why is he being seen by a public health nurse? Generally these nurses only do home visits for very specific populations such as those with STDs, child abuse, etc. They rarely do direct care, but much more case management, education and counseling.

Do you mean a home health nurse instead? I am assuming the PT is also coming from a home health agency. Who ordered this service? Physician? Case manager? Discharge coordinator? You should call them back if you are not getting appropriate services.

(KLD)

he is at home. And he is being seen by a public heath nurse is seeing him because his insurance covers home nursing, aides and therapy and they do not have any staff in the area. And they were not going to provide this service to him and the rehab fought with them so they are using the public health nurses.

They me be called something other than public health this is how the guy today introducted him self, with his name, and I'm the phsyical therapist the public health nurse sent out.

We do plan on making a call on Monday. I was just amazed about the service. I hope OT is better when they show.

Thanks again for listening to me vent.

TAB-
    it sounds like either the PT was given misinformation or he misread the chart...Either way, he screwed up...He should have at least done what you said, range of motion, etc...Make sure that your dad's insurance company is made aware that he did NOT get any PT from today's visit. Most likely the company will try to charge for the visit. Fight to get a qualified PT back out there for him, it's obvious that PT didn't do his job correctly. He should have at least done an assessment of services for him.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Where are you that there are no home health agencies with nurses?

(KLD)

KLD mentioned a case manager. Make sure that his insurance company has assigned a case manager to him (in our experience, it doesn't always happen automatically). If not, request that they do so. Talk to the CM and explain what's going on. Although the CM is working for the insurance company and so must try to minimize their expense, they do also act as an advocate for the patient and will ensure that the patient gets what they're entitled to.
    - Richard

They are located in Sullivan county NY. The insurance company does not work with any of the place around if there are. They had to fight with them to even have home help. Everyone told us to just place him in a nursing home becasue he could not do this. Even when he filed for Medicare or medicade which ever it is they were doing the paperwork to place him in a nursing home. He said he'd rather do it with out there help if that's all there going to do. He can go back to work and pay for nursing care him self. He is at the begining of his second week home and he told my mom to go back to work this week, because he is plaining going to work this week. I know my mother has plans tomorow to call the insurance company and public health.

Also my one aunt who is a Nurse aid is going to speak with a few people regarding his care and she is comming over daily to do his therapy her self...

Lucky my parents have a lot of help. And my father sprits are still good. He laughted off the Physical therapist and said don't worry about it. I can do the stuff I was taught and we can call the rehab and ask for more... So I it is good he's willing to do i on his own and the rehab was great they trained my mother in everything.

Thanks for the advise.

If his insurance covers home care, and they are not contracted with any local agencies, the insurance company needs to make an exception and contract with one that is local. You can file an appeal for this. Don't just give in. Your father is paying for insurance benefits...hold the company to it. You may need to see an attorney or contact your state insurance commissioner's office.

He would not be eligible for Medicare for 2 years after injury (actually 2 years after applying for SSDI), and I suspect he would not be eligible for Medicaid. To be eligible for this, he (and your mother) would have to have virtually no income, and no assets other than one car, a home, and $2000 in the bank/stocks/savings/etc.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    He would not be eligible for Medicare for 2 years after injury (actually 2 years after applying for SSDI),(KLD)
    Actually, it's 2yrs after SSDI kicks in, NOT after date of application...so therefore Medicare doesn't REALLY kick in until 2yrs and 6months after date of injury....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......