Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do I do?

pot smoking

Quote Originally Posted by prayer
    I just found out that my son was caught smoking pot outside at rehab last night. What was he thinking?????? He has been doing so good, working hard and making so much progress. Why would he do this? A friend brought it in....some friend. He's due to come home on Friday...I told him if that's what he wants to do (the pot), then he needs to find somewhere else to live. It's not something I can live with.
    Take your son home and thank your God you can.

and that, IS THE BEST REPLY POSTED!

best reply

Quote Originally Posted by justadildo
    and that, IS THE BEST REPLY POSTED!
    Thank you. Things aren't sweet here always......But I've come to realize that I would not know the difference if I hadn't tasted the bitter.

Friday

Quote Originally Posted by prayer
    I just found out that my son was caught smoking pot outside at rehab last night. What was he thinking?????? He has been doing so good, working hard and making so much progress. Why would he do this? A friend brought it in....some friend. He's due to come home on Friday...I told him if that's what he wants to do (the pot), then he needs to find somewhere else to live. It's not something I can live with.
    How are u doing Mom? Did he come home 2 days ago??????

...i've tasted the bitter also, it's hard to get out of you sometimes...mck hit the nail on the head Prayer....hope you brought him home

Hi, yes my son came home on Friday and things are good. He has learned so much and is stronger. We all went to a birthday party that his friends threw for him today. He may still move out but thats ok too. He can make his own decisions. I don't agree with smoking pot or even cigarettes and he understands how I feel. He almost got himself kicked out of rehab. Luckily he got along very well with the staff, but one dr wanted to kick him out and another said to give him another chance. He's still supposed to go back for at least another 30 days (medicaid), so I sure didn't want him to jeopardize all of this b/c he has worked so hard. And yes he'd smoked it pre-sci, but I had hoped w/all he's gone through, he'd make some better choices. I love him and tell him so every day and he does the same for me...

that's awesome..... and i am sure moving out could be a good thing. independence is good, i cannot wait to smoke in my own home.
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Hi Prayer, where are you from in MO? I live in Springfield. I personally dont smoke myself, but do have some sci friends that do for spasm/ pain relief. In fact, when I was in rehab at Craig, my Doc even somewhat suggested it as I was having bad spasms.

MY dr. gave me marinal (artifical pot in pill form) it didnt help with hunger, up set stomach or spasms but blowing one helps... one of my doctors know any she's fine with it... so i guess what i'm saying is pot is not all bad in our situation... try to be supportive as well as open minded....

Prayer,
    I hope all is going well with your son. You have gotten lots of good advice and I can't really add anything new. I just wanted to add my experiences in case there is something here you can use.

My accident happened in 1982. Back then they didn't put me on any narcs (maybe because of the level of my injury and lack of pain). The problems I did have were spasms and a total lack of appatite. I'm sure it would not be looked on as "appropriate" but I did smoke pot while in rehab and I didn't do it alone.

I was close to my physical therapists and appreciated that they were very realistic with us SCI's and talked to me about illegal drugs (pro's, con's and what never to do) the same way that they taught us how to do wheelies safely as soon as we got into our first sport chair. They knew we were by and large young (I was 18) and were going to test boundries and they wanted to give us as much info as possible to make wise choices. The smoke helped me in all the ways that have been mentioned above. I could eat, get a good night sleep by calming the spasms and be well-rested to give my all to therapy.

My mother and I had a very hard time through all this. She could not be open minded (I was already living on my own when the accident happened) about anything and it has effected our relationship for the last 24 years. I was planning to stay with a nurse I had grown close to while finishing my last three months of rehab (outpatient) my mother threatened to disown me if I did not move into her home instead....I did...and she went through all of my belongings before I was allowed to unpack. Of couse my small medicinal amount was confiscated and now I was isolated at her house, following her rules (feeling crappy) and planning my escape. As soon as my outpatient rehab ended I moved a state away. While I believe you have every right to set the standards of what happens under your roof, be careful of ultimatums...they can have long lasting effects. I think the drive to be independent again after an SCI should be nurtured...it is healthy...and it doesn't always look the way you think it should.

I wish she had just loved me unconditionally...it would have been so much better to have her support instead of constant judgment. I smoked for 4 years before I could get my body to stabilize and find my new normal. It was the only med I used besides a very low dose of valuim at bedtime to help with the spasms. Once I stabilized I did quit to get my associates degree and build a life (and get off SSI). Since then I continued on to get my bachelors degree, grad school and a great career. My mother liked and approved of me during that time. Until recently I used recreationally maybe once or twice a year over the last 24 years and have still had a great and productive life.

A few years ago my health went down quickly. I was diagnosed with central pain....constant burning pain on my left thigh and with it came the spasms, loss of appitite, mobility....everything. I am now confined to my bed and smoke has come back into my life with the support of my doc. It helps all of the same symptoms it did back in 1982. It has stabilized my health and has cut down the amount of narcs I was initially put on to almost nothing. It is a godsend for some of us and might be for your son.

I guess the message I am trying to send is just love him. I am again moving away from the state my mother lives in...I am glad for the new adventure but sad to see the pattern repeat with my mother.

Just love him....and remember that the choices he makes now will not neccessarily be for forever...life changes.

tocker