Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do I do?

What do I do?

I just found out that my son was caught smoking pot outside at rehab last night. What was he thinking?????? He has been doing so good, working hard and making so much progress. Why would he do this? A friend brought it in....some friend. He's due to come home on Friday...I told him if that's what he wants to do (the pot), then he needs to find somewhere else to live. It's not something I can live with.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of perspectives on this. I believe people cope with SCI in different ways. If he gets some relief from pot, that's cool. Would you prefer he take prescription pain pills instead of a natural herb? Morphine can be a lot worse than the pot.

A lot of people on this site smoke. I don't. But it's a personal choice for me. And also because I'm deathly allergic.
    Daniel

right now it's prolly a carry over of what him and his friends did pre-SCI.. usually in rehab you are on what they want you to be on. once he gets home he may find that the pot is a relief of certain pains, but i seriously doubt it this early... i may be way off tho'..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    right now it's prolly a carry over of what him and his friends did pre-SCI.. usually in rehab you are on what they want you to be on. once he gets home he may find that the pot is a relief of certain pains, but i seriously doubt it this early... i may be way off tho'..
    Yep...Not something you probably want to hear....But it's a likely scenario...

But you should know that down the road, pot may provide better relief for nerve pain/spasms than narcotics.....

Please reconsider the "find another place to live" threat. He needs you to love and accept him now, more than ever, IMO.

I am moving this topic to the Family forum. It is perhaps more appropriately placed there. Thank you. Wise.

I think Dan probably has said it best so far....Yes, you're going to get a lot of different opinions here. Personally I don't smoke pot, HOWEVER I am a huge proponent of Medical Marijuana. It has more medical benefits than it has negatives. Now, I believe that right now Jeff is probably correct that it MAY be a carry over of his lifestyle pre-injury(I don't know for sure, I don't know him). OR someone in rehab MAY HAVE told him of it's pain relief properties and he could have asked his friend to bring him some to try....Again, I don't know....purely speculation....One of my friends in rehab's mom would bring it in to him b/c it was about the only thing that gave him any pain relief.

I agree with Lois about reconsidering telling him to find somewhere else to live. I recommend talking to him about why he's smoking it. If he's using it for pain, then I suggest that the two of you figure out an agreement about his usage of it within the house, maybe he only smokes in the backyard or garage.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Reagan got to ya?

Quote Originally Posted by prayer
    It's not something I can live with.
    may i ask what it is exactly you disagree with, besides it being a misdemeaner in the U.S??
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

http://www.mpp.org/medicine.html

FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS, marijuana has been used to treat a wide variety of ailments. Until 1937, marijuana (Cannabis sativa L.) was legal in the United States for all purposes. Presently, federal law allows only seven Americans to use marijuana as a medicine.
    On March 17, 1999, the National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine (IOM) concluded that “there are some limited circumstances in which we recommend smoking marijuana for medical uses.” The IOM report, the result of two years of research that was funded by the White House drug policy office, analyzed all existing data on marijuana’s therapeutic uses. Please see http://www.mpp.org/science.html.
    Medicinal Value

Marijuana is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known. No one has ever died from an overdose, and it has a wide variety of therapeutic applications, including:
    • Relief from nausea and appetite loss;
    • Reduction of intraocular (within the eye) pressure;
    • Reduction of muscle spasms; and
    • Relief from chronic pain.

dan that report forgot to mention the benifits of
    -manic cleaning
    -heightened creativity
    -helps hide keys
    -the giggles
    i am quite interested in how prayer's son is doing?
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened