Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Adapted Vehicle

A little OT here, but ANDY, is there ANYTHING that you don't have some sort of knowledge/experience in? It seems as though you know something about everything & are always giving advice that is very fitting. I have always thought that I was a well rounded/well versed individual, but every time I read another post that you have helped someone with, it amazes me how much vast differing knowledge you have. Thank you for being so willing to share this knowledge with the rest of us. I hope to be as helpful for people as you have been in the short time that I have been a member of this community. Thank-you from all of us for all your help & advice on various stuff!

'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

my name is melissa im a t12 incomplete 3 years now i want to get more independant saw this post would love some info on hand controls and where i need to go to learn how to drive with them if anyone could help thanks

JDR...we LOVE it. It works great for stowing the chair behind the seat...although we wish he had a folding chair instead of a fixed frame, it would be even easier and faster for him that way. There's plenty of room for four passengers and a chair. Also, the rear seats either fold up off the floor or can be removed entirely, which gives us a lot of options for carrying stuff. Eric is a drummer, so he needs a lot of space. Although his post-injury equipment setup is down to just a box and his MIDI controller.

Eric is very firm about only buying high quality vehicles. In fact, the vehicle destroyed in his accident was a 1994 Honda Odyssey van with over 200K miles on it. He feels the Element will last just as long.

We get a lot of people coming up to us to ask how we like it . It definitely draws attention! Now if he could just find a reliable, convenient gas station to help him fill the tank...

Oh, and dodger - check with your state agencies for vehicles and disability. The state of Ohio paid for Eric's training and mods to help him go back to work.

Another place to check might be on the auto company websites - they all have accessible driving secvtions now, I think. Some are more useful than others, but you can cross-check the links to find suppliers and training if you have to do it on your own.

Mellissa, put the switch for the second battery off. I had that problem and thats what the dealer instructed me to do. That was the problem.

[This message was edited by jmcquad on 07-19-04 at 04:17 PM.]

To Melissa Kendell: I had that problem and it was that there is a switch for the second battery that has to be set to OFF.
    My problem is that when I have my van serviced, it cost me an arm and a leg . I've been checking around since thou my van is equipped with two panels (Command 16 & command 4, by Crescent industries)which works with a series of "inteligent" relay packs, remote controls and so on, I will probably dump the dam digital equipment and go with manual switches which is what local electro-mechanics understand to save myself some $$$. Going through the dealer means like paying a 500% markup. Anyone have had a similar problem. I'm a c5-7 quad so I need all this equipment(Easylock, Ricohn ramp, lowered floor etc.)
    PD: Melissa hope putting that switch on the OFF position, solves the problem. It did for me.

My adapted Grand Caravan would drain the battery too! No logical explanation given.

What did I do? Buy the highest CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) battery (800 -1000 amps) They come with a 5 year warranty. By 3rd winter it wasn't doing it - So they dropped a new one in for FREE!

Jmcquads advice re: switch on auxillary battery is a good idea if storing the vehicle or if you know you won't be venturing out for a few days... Otherwise, not the best plan as it serves as a backup power supply to power your hand controls and steering assist in the event of main vehicle battery failure!

Originally posted by CowboyCrip:

My adapted Grand Caravan would drain the battery too! No logical explanation given.

What did I do? Buy the highest CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) battery (800 -1000 amps) They come with a 5 year warranty. By 3rd winter it wasn't doing it - So they dropped a new one in for FREE!

Jmcquads advice re: switch on auxillary battery is a good idea if storing the vehicle or if you know you won't be venturing out for a few days... Otherwise, not the best plan as it serves as a backup power supply to power your hand controls and steering assist in the event of main vehicle battery failure!
    IT work for me. Had to be jumped twice and the dealer told me to keep it off, put it on only if the regular battery went dead and need it to open dr and use ramp. Otherwise regular battery does the job. Who services ur van? Get good prices?

Y'all have given me a lot to chew on and check into, and I appreciate that. Debbie knows more about this stuff than I do, and will have a better idea which way to jump first. We're babysitting two dogs right now, and along with our own crew of four furry children, life is a bit hectic and harried at the moment. Soon as things calm down a bit, I"ll show her allthe posts and see what to try next.

THANKS!!!

Melissa/Kendell

Kendel -

I second the idea about simply replacing the battery. That worked for me [on my Ford E-150.]