Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EXTREME drop in blood pressure

oh foolish me, foolish me.. i should have known to go straight to the top for my answer.... thanks for the reminder..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

[quote=JGNI]Hmmm, did I miss a syncope episode somewhere? I know that it can be useful sometimes to think out of the box but mostly when the obvious has been ruled out. What is being described here is almost certainly not related to any problem asking for an EKG or an EEG. I guess defensive medecine in the USA is to blame here ...

Recommending an EKG in the evaluation of syncopal or pre-syncopal episodes is thinking very much inside the box. Morbidity and mortality associated with cardiac syncope is very high, and extremely easy to rule out.

While I believe that the poster´s hypotension is related to autonomic nervous system dysfunction, other causes should not be overlooked.

And, pray tell, what is "the obvious" in this case? To me, nothing is obvious until confirmed.

Defensive medicine, an EKG?

[QUOTE=Cripply]
    Quote Originally Posted by JGNI
    Hmmm, did I miss a syncope episode somewhere? I know that it can be useful sometimes to think out of the box but mostly when the obvious has been ruled out. What is being described here is almost certainly not related to any problem asking for an EKG or an EEG. I guess defensive medecine in the USA is to blame here ...

Recommending an EKG in the evaluation of syncopal or pre-syncopal episodes is thinking very much inside the box. Morbidity and mortality associated with cardiac syncope is very high, and extremely easy to rule out.

While I believe that the poster´s hypotension is related to autonomic nervous system dysfunction, other causes should not be overlooked.

And, pray tell, what is "the obvious" in this case? To me, nothing is obvious until confirmed.

Defensive medicine, an EKG?
    I stand by what I said (even though you went from syncope to pre-syncope and now you don't talk about your concern for the possible seizure activity ... ?) and you do the same, end of discussion. I was just trying to point out that this is often seen in SCI and that I don't think we need to go too far and get people to worry if not necessary, that's all.
    Last edited by JGNI; 06-03-2006 at 08:16 PM.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

you're welcome Jeff....no problem...It jumped as an obvious thought to me b/c most of my family has probs w/MSG, so the first question when anyone has a repetetive prob w/a restaurant is "Do they use MSG?".
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

As Dr Young said, an underlying cause should be sought, in view of the fact that his hypotension is getting worse.

In case of blackout, the first distinction that must be made is between syncope and seizure. In this case, seizure is much less likely but, not knowing the poster´s medical history, and whether he sustained trauma to his brain, I would ask him if he was confused after the blackout. Most likely he was not. I would not ask for a EEG at this point.

I would ask that he be evaluated as Dr Young suggests and would do an EKG as well. SCI is the reason of so many ailments, that we risk attributing to SCI any and all symptoms. But SCI patients can also suffer from aortic stenosis, carotid stenosis, arrhytmias and other problems, like the adrenal insuficiency discussed by Dr Young, all of which can cause of exacerbate blackouts. Many a diagnosis has been missed because it was not "the obvious". Recently, the NEJM discusses a patient with syncope and AIDS. Everybody thought he had some brain infection, but he had a DVT and Pulmonary Embolism.

Therefore, although likely the poster has typical SCI postprandial hypotension, he should ber evaluated thoroughly by professionals who, with all the pertinent history and data in his hands, should make a diagnosis and institute approppriate treatment.

Well if you want to continue with it. I also have a subscription to the NEJM and read that article 2 days ago (which ironically is entitled Thinking Outside the Box) and I don't think you make a point by bringing that out. Even though it is always possible that something unlikely may be the cause, it is not probable. For an example, it would not make much sense for a doctor to investigate to find another cause to leg spasticity after a SCI (unless things are indicating otherwise) even though leg spasms can have other origins than SCI, you get the point. I don't know many doctors with good knowledge of SCI that would order an EKG or try to rule out seizure "on the basis of what Jesse's Mom wrote". To use Wise's post is also far fetched since everything he talked about were directly related to analysis "after a meal".

These Forums are not meant to replace the sound advice that people should seek by seeing their own doctor who will get the whole story with details and I sure hope members are aware of that. I know you wrote somewhere in another thread that you are a healthcare professional (what kind I don't know) so I guess you feel more like going further in some cases, right or not. So let's agree with your last words and I am sure Jesse's doctor will do what is necessary to make a diagnosis and treat accordingly. It would be interesting to get a future update from Jesse's Mom as to what was ordered, the diagnosis and the treatment, just for the sake of learning.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    .. for some strange reason, my bp would only drop after eating at Red Lobster, Logan's Roadhouse, and just recently Outback Steakhouse. all other restaurants were fine.....? still trying to find the correlation btw. them..
    Do you eat a lot of the bread that places like that offer. I find that high carb meals seem to make my blood pressure drop more quickly.

It gets pretty tough to push my chair when my muscles can't get any oxygen and my head is pounding/lossing vision etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B
    Do you eat a lot of the bread that places like that offer. I find that high carb meals seem to make my blood pressure drop more quickly.
    not usually.. at Red Lobster i eat a few of the cheddar biscuits, but at the others i typically don't fill up on bread or pasta..

i'm going to check on MSG usage per Broknwing...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

I have pretty regular blood pressure. Its never high or low. But every now and then I'll have a really bad drop in my blood pressure (i think) and I feel like I'm going to faint. I also get the sweats really bad and turn white as a ghost and feel like i'm going to vomit. What could be the cause of this? When this happens, the only thing I can do is just stand there, or preferably sit there, and hope it passes without me fainting. I'm hoping its nothing too serious though, considering it only comes along maybe 2-3 times a year at the most. But it has been happening for about 4-5 years now.

a long time ago, on this message board i think, someone said after years of suffering w/ this low BP after eating, she discovered if she drank a cup of regular coffee before the meal, her BP did not drop after eating.
    she was thrilled.
    musta' been the caffeine.
    anyway, it's worth a try.