Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EXTREME drop in blood pressure

EXTREME drop in blood pressure

I have posted this before and had a few responses. After Jesse eats a meal, and more so lately, his blood pressure drops so low that he can hardly see and just alot of white light. Yesterday he had an extreme episode where he had to pull over in the truck until he felt better but I still insisted on going to the clinic. Ten minutes after he told me he felt better, the nurse said his BP was 68 over 40. Today was the same thing. It seems to be getting worse. Weather in Texas didnt seem to have the same effect as the Minnesota weather, if that is what someone might offer as an idea. Could this just be "his" problem with SCI or could it be something hiding that we need to address?

i had that thing from the get go from sci.

i just have consistantly low blood pressure, i'd pass out all the time. i'm on midodrine to regulate it. i've heard of people saying their blood pressure drops after meals but that isn't the case for me.

i wish i had more to tell you, sorry
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

I have EXTREMELY low blood pressure and pulse. For 27 years now I''ve lived fine with it. Bright sunlight and summer extreme heat are the worst culprits for me but sometimes when I eat it'll drop. It's when my blood sugar is low and/or I've not had enough to drink. Is he eating too much sweets/sugars? Could be hypoglycemic. Keep track of when it occurs, and what he's eaten. After a few weeks you may figure it out.
    To prevent it when I first feel it dropping too low, I'll breathe really deeply, almost hyperventilate but not quite and lean onto a table or something. If my eyesight goes I'll lean forward to my lap. Effectively lowering my brain so as to get more blood there. And just wait. Now that I think about it, it actually happens a lot to me but I've learned to counteract it. I'm a no medication type but maybe some drug he's on could adversely be affecting it also.
    BTW, I'm very underweight. Otherwise very healthy.
    c6-7
    Last edited by PeteShick; 06-02-2006 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteShick
    I have EXTREMELY low blood pressure and pulse. For 27 years now I''ve lived fine with it. Bright sunlight and summer extreme heat are the worst culprits for me but sometimes when I eat it'll drop. It's when my blood sugar is low and/or I've not had enough to drink. Is he eating too much sweets/sugars? Could be hypoglycemic. Keep track of when it occurs, and what he's eaten. After a few weeks you may figure it out.
    To prevent it when I first feel it dropping too low, I'll breathe really deeply, almost hyperventilate but not quite and lean onto a table or something. If my eyesight goes I'll lean forward to my lap. Effectively lowering my brain so as to get more blood there. And just wait. Now that I think about it, it actually happens a lot to me but I've learned to counteract it. I'm a no medication type but maybe some drug he's on could adversely be affecting it also.
    BTW, I'm very underweight. Otherwise very healthy.
    c6-7
    Pete,
    Thanks for the tips. There are several that he can try. He does drink alot of water. and he is very fussy about his diet, so sugar is off limits, kinda. And he hates, hates, hates medications. Luckily the only one he needs is the one for bladder spasms. Thanks again.

I'd be interested in what other people have to say

Bruce had low blood pressure attacks whenever he sat up for many months, and then when he started to be able to walk a little, he would get them whenever he stood up . . . still gets them once in a while after 5 years if he tries to stand in one place without going anywhere, especially when he's tired or needs food or water.

The remedy in the early days was to take ephedrine (I think, it's been awhile) and then wait . . . then we learned to just tip him back or get him horizontal and wait . .

It's creepy that it happened while he was driving. Anyone else have a thought?

We have discussed this before. We don't know exactly why only some people with SCI (generally only tetraplegic injuries) get this, but it can be very difficult to manage. It is called postparandial hypotension. You may want to search through some old messages for information about it.

(KLD)

I call it post-meal lethargy. I've found that if I eat breakfast and then a few snacks before dinner, the effects are minimized. I sometimes drink a small coffee after dinner, which helps a lot. My blood pressure is low regardless, so I've been taking Sudafed for years, as well as Florinef by prescription. I tried the stuff cali takes but found that it either really wires me or drops me way too low. And, yes, heat makes it worse for me as well.

i can sooo relate to this.. i'm over 3 1/2 yrs. post and have had low bp the entire time. it just never leveled out like we thought it may. oh well, you keep going.. i started on 10 mg. Proamatine 4x daily.. that lasted a while, but was able to eventually ween to half that.. recently i have gotten a real good grip on it .. finally. i now take only 2.5mg 2x daily..

i have those episodes occassionally of seeing white, eye sockets sometimes hurting.. bp is dangerously low at this point. i went and recently bought a auto battery operated bp cuff and take my bp several times daily.. for some strange reason, my bp would only drop after eating at Red Lobster, Logan's Roadhouse, and just recently Outback Steakhouse. all other restaurants were fine.....? still trying to find the correlation btw. them..

but, this is why i take 2.5 mg at lunch and 2.5 mg at dinner, just in case i'm at one of the restaurants and i keep more in my backpack, just in case.

is Jesse on any low bp medicine? if not, a low dose at certain times would not affect him. IMO, based on what you stated, he needs to be. hope this helps..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    for some strange reason, my bp would only drop after eating at Red Lobster, Logan's Roadhouse, and just recently Outback Steakhouse. all other restaurants were fine.....? still trying to find the correlation btw. them..
    Check their MSG usage....strange as it sounds the ammt of MSG they use in their ingredients can have lots of diff effects on your body. Being that you are suceptable to low BP maybe that's how it affects you.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

No, jess isnt on any sort of bp medicines, just for the bladder spasms. I think the idea of eating a little before his meal is a good idea, to start with.

Jazzy,
    I agree with broknwing, I think it might be the MSG that they put in their foods. Lots of people are allergic to that.