Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caring for a breakdown

Caring for a breakdown

Hi, I had a slight dry area where the back of my leg and buttock meet that opened slightly. It was hard to see at first because it was in that skin fold. When I lay on my stomach, the spot it not totally open to the air because of its location, in the skin fold.

I laid on my stomack for over a month and had the affected area covered in Silver Sulfadiazine Cream. The spot is completely closed but remains pink or red. I have been sitting up one day, applying the cream before I do so, and laying on my stomach the entire next day, with the cream on.

It seems to be taking a very long time to heal completely. Am I doing the right thing? Is there a better approach I could be taking, maybe with different creams or patches?

Thanks for any help.

SCI nurses here are the experts for wound care but in my very limited opinion I think that is a rather odd place for a pressure sore. Usually they occur over bony areas like your sacrum or when something is causing pressure against the skin like a button.

I would definately have it looked at by a healthcare professional. You are doing the right thing by removing the pressure but it doesnt seem by your description that the area would be subject to as much pressure as the surrounding skin.

Thanks for your reply. It is an odd place to have a breakdown. It started off as a dry spot then scabbed and opened up a little bit. I didn't realize anything was wrong until I started sweating when I sat up. I am a C4-C5 quad and my nurse has been treating the spot.

Yankman30,

I've had two in that area in the past 6 years (caused by elastic in my panties--i now wear boxers--no elastic. Stylish, I know). My healing regimen:

1) Drink one EAS Myoplex protein drink daily ( http://www.dpsnutrition.net/search_results.asp?new=yes) --absolutely essential.
    2) Pressure mapped, properly inflated 4" Roho cushion
    3)Use Corona ointment on it daily ( http://www.coronaproducts.com/ ) Really, it works great!
    4)I used a Poise pad taped to my leg/butt with Hypafix tape when the wound was open.

I'm C4/C5 also.

Susan

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your reply! I've used the Stimulite® Slimline cushion by Supracor for years now without a problem. This spot I have now may have happen from a fold in my underwear or just dryness. I don't think my cushion had anything to do with it.

Corona ointment is for horses! Did you give me the correct link? Also, my spot is closed but pinkish red. Did you use the ointment until your spot was 100% cured?

Does it matter if the protein drink is the lite version? There seem to be a few differet types.

So, you sat up while your spot was open? How long did it take to heal completely?

Thanks!
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Yankman30
    Hi Susan,

Thanks for your reply! I've used the Stimulite® Slimline cushion by Supracor for years now without a problem. This spot I have now may have happen from a fold in my underwear or just dryness. I don't think my cushion had anything to do with it.

Corona ointment is for horses! Did you give me the correct link? Also, my spot is closed but pinkish red. Did you use the ointment until your spot was 100% cured?

Does it matter if the protein drink is the lite version? There seem to be a few differet types.

So, you sat up while your spot was open? How long did it take to heal completely?

Thanks!
    Joe
    Joe,

I'll answer in order:

*I just mentioned the cushion because that's the one I sat on while it was healing.

*Corona-yep, LOL--that's what I swear by, it's funny what works. I've turned tons of family and friends onto it, too. It's great for dry skin, sunburn, whatever. Yes--I used it on the wound until 100% cured.

*The lite version of the protein drink has about 1/2 the calories, but also approx. 1/3 the protein which is what you need. The regular one has 42 grams of protein

*Yes, I sat on it--no bedrest. The last one started June 10, 2004 coming home from "Rally for the Cure" in NYC. It progressed to stage 3 before it started healing. I discovered and started the protein drinks daily late July. It turned the corner a week later and was completely healed by New Year's Day, 2005.

Susan

There is no point in putting Silvadene on this area if the skin is closed. It would be best to just leave it alone unless you think that friction has a roll in this breakdown you had. You will have a pink area there because it is scar tissue, which will always be vulnerable. This sound like your ischium, which is your major sitting bone.

Are you dong frequent (every 10-15 minute) weight shifts when sitting? Have you had pressure mapping on that cushion, compared with other cushions, to be sure it is the right one for you (lowest pressures)?

(KLD)

Thanks for your reply SCI-Nurse. I do do frequent weight shifts and always have. I have been using this type cushion for about five years with no problems. I don't know what pressure mapping is. How do I do that?

So do you believe my spot is as healed as it's going to be based on the redish pink color? Is there anything more I can do?

Thanks

Thanks for the information Susan. I'm going to look into that cream and drink.

Joe

Susan is so right, corona is great, used long before sci....aloe advantage (also for horses/cattle) also works great......