Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting up stairs in a powerchair?

Getting up stairs in a powerchair?

Are there any assistive tech. devices that allow a powerchair user to traverse a large number of stairs?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I assume you are not looking for a platform stair lift that would have to be permanently installed?

This is the only thing I know of other than an Ibot:

The Scalamobile works only with manual wheelchairs: http://www.frankmobility.com/

You can see a lot of prototype chairs that will do that (do a Google Images search under "wheelchair stair climber", but there are currently no portable systems that are commercially available that I know of that would work with a power chair.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD and Pete. I was hoping for something temporary, or semi-portable, as a permanent installation won't be necessary or realistic.

I'll call the iBot guys later, but I think my inability to use hand controls disqualifies me.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Are there any assistive tech. devices that allow a powerchair user to traverse a large number of stairs?
    Portable Ramp

For just a few stairs, that could work. For a lot, I'm not too sure.

ROLLARAMP....lightweight and portable

4 steps is about all you can realistically ramp with a portable ramp, and that requires a VERY long or very steep ramp. Remember you need 1 foot of ramp for every 1" rise. Most steps are 5-6", so at the least, for a typical 14 step flight of stairs (from one story to the next) you would need a ramp 70 feet long. Is there anyone here who can pick up and carry a portable ramp that long?? No me!

(KLD)

Bump?

If you're gonna bump... give up some details, Gin

How many stairs or flights?

How often will you need to go up/down stairs a day? week?
    Ramp/device to remain in place as needed?
    For how long of a temporary period?

Is independence required?

If no ramp is available, can you be carried? with or w/o chair?