Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you turn in bed?

How do you turn in bed?

Mike is working on it, but has not perfected it yet. Does anyone have a special teqnique they can share? I remember someone said they have tied peices of sheet to grab onto.
    Last edited by ChopperChick; 05-29-2006 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    Mike is working on it, but has not perfected it yet. Does anyone have a special teqnique they can share? I remember someone said they have tied peices of sheet to grab onto.
    T-11 complete.

I raise the head of the bed, grab either side of the mattress at about the level of my mid thigh and use a combo of arm lift and abdominal contraction to sit up. Then I grab my right ankle and fold the right leg over the left, lift my butt and scoot it over to the extreme right edge of the ROHO (yes, I sleep with a high profile ROHO under my butt), grab the left edge of the mattress and turn on my left side.

Good luck to you both.
    "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
    and sometimes I just sets.
    "

Otis Redding I think

I hook my hand under the sheet and roll to sit up, then hook my hand under my knee and lift it and turn so I'm on my side.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

When lying on 1 side, I find it necessary to sit up before turning. I push myself into a sitting position, rearrange my legs, and kind of pivot as I do down for the other side. With the legs in position my body is half way there so it is easier to turn. Once down I am usually still a little on my back, so I pull myself up on my side either using the edge of the bed, or hubby's elbow (depending which way I am going) and shove a pillow behind me so I stay off my back. Just keep worhing at it.

T10 complete.

When sleeping I don't turn unless I wake up for some reason. But when I do turn I will place both of my arms to the left and swing them and my whole body to the right and when I get to a certain point I push my left shoulder forward and this makes it to where both of my arms are on my right. I then 'bend' down and put my left leg over my right. This is actually VERY VERY comfotable.

I sleep on a tempur-pedic mattress. My girlfriends love it too. Don't need to turn. I was on a roho bed panel for 18+/- years. That was good too but just for me. When I do turn, I just use my arms/elbows to sit up and then turn over or on my side. I'm c6-7 and it's simple.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    When lying on 1 side, I find it necessary to sit up before turning. I push myself into a sitting position, rearrange my legs, and kind of pivot as I do down for the other side. With the legs in position my body is half way there so it is easier to turn. Once down I am usually still a little on my back, so I pull myself up on my side either using the edge of the bed, or hubby's elbow (depending which way I am going) and shove a pillow behind me so I stay off my back. Just keep worhing at it.
    sjean - I do hope your poor husband isn't asleep when you grab his elbow!

I have to be on my back to turn, I get my bum to the opposite side of the bed to the one I want to face, then grab my uppermost leg and bend it whilst flopping back down.( I use just my arms to haul myself up). Have to mess about putting a pillow under my lower ankle (to keep it off the bed), then make sure I have a pillow under my bent upper knee.
    Oh, and I use my free arm to push on the hip I have on the bed back, to tip me, as I like to lie what I believe is called semi prone.
    Last edited by keps; 05-29-2006 at 05:32 PM.

I just grab the hearboard and turn. It is super easy for me now but it was really hard at the beginning. Then I make sure my leg crossed over, if not I just go on my elbow and cross it all the way, so that it is not on top of the lower one. Sometimes I stick a small pillow between my legs.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

I've got a really heavy bedside table and I also back my chair tight against it to help hold it in place. I put my left wrist under the corner of it and throw my right hand up and hook it on the bedpost or the headboard. Using nothing but bicep, I roll over onto my side, then grab the cane of my chair and work my way up to a sitting position. Of course my damn aching hips are making this process rather uncomfortable these days.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

my video is in here, just for you!
    actually, i've been meaning to do it for awhile now...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=63669
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com