Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Some SCI Can Be Cured

From Hope for SCIIt seems everyone is expecting a quick recovery, or a magical pill type of cure. People with SCI would like to wake up and walk after the treatment. Such quick recovery is not possible even there is major breakthrough in stem cell research in the future (10 years or 20 years or who know how long?).

Gee, everybody's being nice to you the past few posts. Personally I take issue with the statement above. I expect we're all pretty clear on the difficulties of recovery post-cure, or post any improvement in our condition. I expect we're all pretty clear on a lot of difficulties in general, in fact.

I've had results with acupuncture for acute pain 9 months post-SCI, in NYC. More results during that episode with Tui Na massage though, during that episode. Unfortunately I have over time spent a lot of money with no real results from acupuncture. Don't take this to mean that I'm disappointed to not be magically cured. I mean no results at all.

I really hate your generalizations, where you state what most people here have been taught to think. I wonder where you learned to think so incorrectly? I'm sure many many of us have tried different therapies with varying results. We aren't actually in a position to dismiss anything that is even rumored to help us, do you think?

Oddly, the most therapeutic thing I've done in 3 years happened with some British healers in a hot spring and upon having my polarities aligned in Santa Fe, whatever that may mean. It helped, at least temporarily, pain and stamina-wise.

I've read that AIDS isn't all that well contained in China. They're as susceptible and resistant to cure as the rest of us, more's the pity.

Nice offer, though. If we find you such a patient, where would they be required to go for 2 months?
    Last edited by betheny; 12-07-2007 at 04:19 AM.

Better Health Care for Everyone

Bethany:

Thank you for your time. Sorry if you feel that way. My generalization does not apply to you if you are not one. But many people are very close-minded even though they say they are not. Let's continue to discuss.

Acupuncture is cheap compared to the cost of western medicine. It was expensive for you because your insurance did not cover the treatments. So it is not fair to compare the costs using your out-of-pocket expense. Acupuncture should be covered by all insurance plans. This is the better solution. With the coverage, the health care cost will be decreased significantly. This might be contrary to what people normally think. But it is true. Because western medicine is 10 to 100 times more expensive than Chinese medicine for treating the same illness. With Chinese medicine treatment, our level of health is improved and we do not need to visit other doctors. Thus the overall healthcare costs will go down. Chinese medicine is a preventive medicine and is a better way to go. One dollar spent in prevention is better than 100 dollars in treatment.

Chinese Medicine is a comprehensive health care system that has its own system of diagnostics. It includes not only acupuncture, but also herbal medicine, nutritional therapies, Tui Na (massage techniques), aromatherapy, spinal manipulations and lifestyle counseling. Chinese medicine, as a system, allows the practitioner to utilize different combinations of techniques, based on the constitution and specific needs of the individual. It is a world-wide trend to incorporate Chinese medicine into the health care system. Australia has successfully incorporated Chinese medicine into its health care system and can serve as a model for other western countries.

Western medicine health care system is now facing lots of problems in USA. The cost is sky-rocketing. There is a rising discontentment with it. More and more people prefer natural (or gentler) alternatives to pharmaceutical drugs or surgery. And western medicine has a low success rate in treating many chronic conditions. More people have realized that western medicine is not the most effective way to get better. Western medicine does not have cure yet for many problems such as chronic pain, hypertension, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, AIDS, and SCI. National health care system in USA will be hard to implement by western medicine alone because the cost will be prohibitive and people will still not have a good health care.

The issue we have often heard is that professors need more money for their research. So lots of professors become professional grant application writers and they spend most of their time looking for money rather than doing their research. More money might help. But what they really need is a better philosophy to treat diseases. The current philosophy in western medicine cannot meet the challenge today. Western medicine is not effective for treating illnesses related to central nervous system (CNS). For SCI, if people bet all their hope on the stem-cell research, they might be disappointed 10 years later. Let's take a look at a few examples here.
    • During the last 35 years, tremendous funding has been put into research for a cure to cancer. Has the cure been found for cancer yet? No, the survival rate is still low. The therapies (surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation) destroy the immune system and cause a high risk of cancer recurrence. Same goes for AIDS. No cure has been found yet for AIDS even though the funding is so abundant. If the government can support it, Chinese medicine will come up a better solution than western medicine for curing AIDS with a small fraction of funding.
    • Pharmaceutical drugs are not necessarily better than herbal medicine for treating diseases. The industry has made trillions from selling drugs and thus can afford huge campaign to convince people that they should take drugs for the rest of their lives. Do you know how many drugs invented 30 years are still effective today? The number is small. Most of them are obsolete now and are replaced with new ones. So the drugs you use now will become obsolete sometime. How do you know when they will be obsolete? You know it only when there are mass-scale side effects and then they will be taken away from the market. For example, Merck paid $4.8 billions to settle Vioxx mass claims and took Vioxx out of the market. But Merck has made a lot more than that from the Vioxx sale.
    • On the contrary, most herbs used in Chinese medicine are grown naturally. They were discovered and used twenty centuries ago and are still effective today. Moreover, they have very little side effect if directed by Chinese medicine practitioners. Chinese medicine has a better philosophy for treating illness. Its philosophy was developed twenty centuries ago and still applies to the clinical practice today. Believe it or not, its philosophy is becoming the future direction for western medicine development.
    Here is the website for my doctor: http://www.Ancientac.com. You can find more information relating to SCI treatment program (http://www.ancientac.com/?p=268) and the clinic. His website is bilingual. We are still in the process of translating his published articles into English. So you can see he has extensive experience of treating illnesses of Central Nervous System (CNS). He is able to improve SCI in two months.

If you know someone qualified for the program, please email me or contact the above website.

Best regards,
    HopeForSCI
    Last edited by HopeForSCI; 12-21-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Cloning is the key.....
    Cloning for therapy

Another approach to overcoming the problem of tissue rejection is to be 'transplanted' with cells containing your own genetic material. But this involves the most contentious of all stem cell therapies — therapeutic cloning.

This is how it would work for diabetes.
    A doctor takes a sample of skin cells from the patient and isolates their DNA. Next, a donor egg cell, emptied of its own genetic contents, is injected with the DNA from the patient. The embryo is nurtured to grow and divide into a blastocyst. Some blastocyst cells are harvested and coaxed with growth factors to mature into insulin-producing cells. Finally, millions of insulin-producing cells are injected back into the patient. In an ideal world, the patient's diabetes is temporarily 'reversed', with no side effects. (Pic: adapted from Stem Cells: A Primer, US National Institutes of Health

'Therapeutic cloning' was the intention stated by the US company, Advanced Cell Technology, when it announced in November 2001 that it had created a cloned human embryo. This was a preliminary development — the longest-surviving embryo reached only the six-cell stage, and no stem cells were harvested. But the development was significant because it was done by transferring the nucleus of an adult cell into an egg cell which had had its own nucleus removed. Called 'somatic cell nuclear transfer', this is the same technique that was used to create Dolly the sheep.

Skorecki is planning to use the same nuclear transfer technique, but in a different way. It involves the combination of two of the most debated issues, genetic engineering and cloning. He believes that therapeutic cloning from each patient's own cells would be too costly and not practical. "We genetically modify the cloned adult cells [from other cell lines] so that they interfere with the cell's mechanism of tissue rejection," he says. Ideally, these cloned insulin-producing cells will not be rejected by any patient.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by HopeForSCI
    Chinese medicine will come up a better solution than western medicine for curing AIDS with a small fraction of funding.
    Thanks for the laugh!

I can lift and push both my right and left foot, like im driving a car peddling or tapping my feet.

I can also 'push' stool out.

still stiff as a board, but its probably because of my medicine adjustment.....

will keep posted.....

Damn politicians and their point of view regarding science and cures.
    n August 2001, US President George Bush announced that Federal funding could be used for stem cell research, but only for research using existing cell lines as at 9pm on August 9. This meant excess IVF embryos, purpose-made embryos, and aborted foetuses could no longer be used to create new cell lines, at least not in publicly-funded research programs. (The human cloning research by Advanced Cell Technology had private funding.)

In Britain, the decision was more liberal. In January 2001 the Parliament voted to fund the entire range of stem cell research, including therapeutic cloning. Reproductive cloning, which intends to 'grow' a cloned cell into a new individual, was banned, and the ban was made more explicit in November 2001 in legislation banning embryo clones from being implanted into wombs.

In Australia, a House of Representatives report into the issue in September 2001 gave the green light to a range of stem cell research but recommended a three-year moratorium on therapeutic cloning, and argued that the current framework for setting ethical guidelines for such research was inadequate. Federal, state and territory governments have agreed to establish a national regulatory approach by June 2002.
    • Dum spiro, spero.

Quote Originally Posted by HopeForSCI
    Here is the website for my doctor: http://www.Ancientac.com. You can find more information relating to SCI treatment program and the clinic. His website is bilingual. We are still in the process of translating his published articles into English. So you can see he has extensive experience of treating illnesses of Central Nervous System (CNS). He is able to improve SCI in two months.

If you know someone qualified for the program, please email me or contact the above website.

Best regards,
    HopeForSCI
    I went to the website and could not find any testimonials for sci, why?

Quote Originally Posted by IanTPoulter
    I went to the website and could not find any testimonials for sci, why?
    go to 'About Us'

It's so custom that you'll need a translator (which they provide)

scary at first, but pretty cool for free acupuncture and massage.

I used to pay $60 dollars a session lol.

oh and to add. I highly doubt this is a cure, but should help with improvement

the bowel and bladder gains seem realistic. plus like i said, its a free acupuncture and massage lol. thats not something you get in los angeles ever.....

acupuncture just made my neuropain and spasticity worse...do not play with the nervous system if you have a sci[short circuit].
    Last edited by adi chicago; 12-18-2007 at 04:02 PM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.