Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 170

Thread: Some SCI Can Be Cured

  1. #51
    As I see it the cure is already here. We just have to educate the ignorant or ignore them. Then wait patiently for the clinical trials to be done. Just look at what is happening lately. Complete organs can be grown to replace failing ones. SCI lab rats walking again. The only thing stopping the progress are the Republicans in power and the religious nut jobs across the world.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
    As I see it the cure is already here. We just have to educate the ignorant or ignore them. Then wait patiently for the clinical trials to be done. Just look at what is happening lately. Complete organs can be grown to replace failing ones. SCI lab rats walking again. The only thing stopping the progress are the Republicans in power and the religious nut jobs across the world.
    Most of us feel that the cure will be here one day, hopefully real soon. But have you taken the trouble to read what this person (hopeforSCI) is saying??
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    Most of us feel that the cure will be here one day, hopefully real soon. But have you taken the trouble to read what this person (hopeforSCI) is saying??
    Yes I have. Doesnt sound like anything special to me. Acupuncture has been around for a long long time. Does it have the ability to do what HopeforSCI is saying? I doubt it. Although stranger things have happened. I have seen something similiar to this, a couple years ago from a company in Carlsbad California, that is/was pretty interesting. It was like accupuncture but instead of using needles they used lasers and (i think) had claimed that one day it would cure SCI. Havent heard much about them since.

    Like I said before, I believe the cure is already here. Its one of the great discoveries of man. The holy grail of medicine. Stem Cells.
    Last edited by XYNaPSE; 06-01-2006 at 07:32 PM.

  4. #54
    Senior Member Schmeky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    West Monroe, LA, USA
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
    Like I said before, I believe the cure is already here. Its one of the great discoveries of man. The holy grail of medicine. Stem Cells.
    If you are stating a cure for chronics is here, please post your abstracts and references.

  5. #55
    ASCRM, go home, you're not fooling anyone.

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by glider
    No need to waste time and energy in this thread...........
    You did by posting in this thread . Hehe, GOTCHA!

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    If you are stating a cure for chronics is here, please post your abstracts and references.
    OK. If you look at a stem cell for what it is, especially an embyonic stem cell derived from embryos, (embryo=a hollow microscopic ball of cells) --in my own words I'll try to explain it as simple as possible-- stem cells are precursor cells that can change into any type of cell.

    If they can change into any type of cell then logic would say that they can replace damaged cells. I have read articles where stem cells even migrate to damaged areas of the body and repair the cells there. You can look it all up yourself by using google and google news. Almost everyday I go to google news and search for any stem cell article. I would check out some of the stuff that Dr. Hans Kierstead is doing in California. He has made paralyzed rats walk by injecting stem cells. That is very exciting.

    Whats also exciting is that there are so many implications for stem cells other than spinal cord injury. Here is an article I found dated back in 2001

    Stem cells hold the most promise for those diseases where cells are damaged or malfunctioning, and might be replaced; for example, Parkinson's disease, juvenile diabetes, stroke, spinal cord injuries, and heart muscle damage following heart attack. Using animal models, scientists have coaxed stem cells into becoming nerve cells, other stem cells into becoming the myelin sheaths that surround the nerves, and nerve cells into becoming muscle cells. Amazingly, some stem cells seem to go preferentially to injured tissues when introduced in an animal.

    But in most cases more needs to be known before the therapies can become anything more than experimental. Embryonic stem cells cannot simply be injected into the body, since without carefully selecting away the unspecialized cells they tend to form tumors known as teratomas. Since most of the research to date has been on mice, with short life spans, there's not enough evidence about what long-term side effects of embryonic stem cell therapies may be. As in the case of organ transplantation, stem cells from an unmatched donor can provoke rejection, although if stem cell lines become more widely available there would be more possibilities of finding a suitable donor.

    But there are other potential uses for stem cells besides directly replacing damaged organs and tissues. Pharmaceuticals, for example, could be screened on cultures of stem cells in the laboratory. In addition, the knowledge gained about how cells work in health and disease will be invaluable.
    There is so much that has been done since 2001. I rememeber reading an article where they are able to divide all the specialized cells so there wont be any tumors. I'll see if I can find it later. So if thats the case, perhaps a simple injection of these cells would do the job.

    Some people say that embryonic stem cells have not yielded any results. These are usually the people that are against the whole issue and are extremely one-sided and never wrong and always right. I say give us a chance to show the results. There have been no clinical trials on humans with embryonic stem cells in the U.S. that I am aware of. But that will all change soon in the next couple of years by the looks of things.

    So, I think the cure would be mixing stem cell therapy with hard core physical therapy. Thats about the long and the short of it. As for more references that you asked for, all this information is just what I have read and seen over the past few years on google.

  8. #58

    It will take a lot more than simply injecting Stem Cells to Cure SCI

    Quote Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
    OK. If you look at a stem cell for what it is, especially an embyonic stem cell derived from embryos, (embryo=a hollow microscopic ball of cells) --in my own words I'll try to explain it as simple as possible-- stem cells are precursor cells that can change into any type of cell.

    If they can change into any type of cell then logic would say that they can replace damaged cells. I have read articles where stem cells even migrate to damaged areas of the body and repair the cells there. You can look it all up yourself by using google and google news. Almost everyday I go to google news and search for any stem cell article. I would check out some of the stuff that Dr. Hans Kierstead is doing in California. He has made paralyzed rats walk by injecting stem cells. That is very exciting.

    Whats also exciting is that there are so many implications for stem cells other than spinal cord injury. Here is an article I found dated back in 2001

    There is so much that has been done since 2001. I rememeber reading an article where they are able to divide all the specialized cells so there wont be any tumors. I'll see if I can find it later. So if thats the case, perhaps a simple injection of these cells would do the job.

    Some people say that embryonic stem cells have not yielded any results. These are usually the people that are against the whole issue and are extremely one-sided and never wrong and always right. I say give us a chance to show the results. There have been no clinical trials on humans with embryonic stem cells in the U.S. that I am aware of. But that will all change soon in the next couple of years by the looks of things.

    So, I think the cure would be mixing stem cell therapy with hard core physical therapy. Thats about the long and the short of it. As for more references that you asked for, all this information is just what I have read and seen over the past few years on google.

    The Injected Cells do not know what to do. Stem Cells is just one piece of the puzzle.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    The Injected Cells do not know what to do. Stem Cells is just one piece of the puzzle.
    In some cases they have found the injected stem cells to migrate and repair damaged cells. Where did you get that information?

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
    In some cases they have found the injected stem cells to migrate and repair damaged cells. Where did you get that information?
    The cure may be in the pipeline, but it ain't here yet. If it were, we'd all be better. We aren't. It's that simple.

    No one is saying the promise of that possibility for the future exists. It's just not here yet and may, in fact, be years off. IMO, it probably is.

Similar Threads

  1. SCI Summit and Hall of Fame
    By harleyt in forum Announcements & Feedback
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 09:57 AM
  2. Dr Young - Osteoporosis Treatment?
    By tucker in forum Cure
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 06:21 AM
  3. SCI myths for Book to Promote Cure
    By angel7 in forum Cure
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •