Thread: Electrical Stimulator

Electrical Stimulator

Dr. Young,

It has been suggested to me by a personnal physician that I may eventually need an implantation devise which is a battery powered electrical stimulator. The way I understand the benifits of such a device is, that the current produced, aids in eliminating some of the problems of irregular currents running through the spine, and therefore also cuts down on pain which then in turn would be of assiatance to walking. Less pain better walking. I can from experience testify that the last statement is valid to a certain degree.

I personnaly know of a person who has such a device in her back. She had a very serious fall which led to her not being able to walk. After about 3-5 years of suffering, she decided on approving the implantation device I refered to. Nothing happenend for about 5 years , and then suddenly one day she was walking. It has now been 5 years post implant, and she is still walking. Your thoughts please.

Thank You

Spinal cord stimulation has been reported to reduce pain. However, I have not heard of any verified case where such stimulation caused return of function. I don't know the details of the treatment received by the person that you describe. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle18
    Dr. Young,

It has been suggested to me by a personnal physician that I may eventually need an implantation devise which is a battery powered electrical stimulator. The way I understand the benifits of such a device is, that the current produced, aids in eliminating some of the problems of irregular currents running through the spine, and therefore also cuts down on pain which then in turn would be of assiatance to walking. Less pain better walking. I can from experience testify that the last statement is valid to a certain degree.

I personnaly know of a person who has such a device in her back. She had a very serious fall which led to her not being able to walk. After about 3-5 years of suffering, she decided on approving the implantation device I refered to. Nothing happenend for about 5 years , and then suddenly one day she was walking. It has now been 5 years post implant, and she is still walking. Your thoughts please.

Thank You

Thanks for your reply Dr. Wise. I will further investigate the details of the accident and procedure in question and hopefully fill you in later this week.