Thread: Rehab

Smile Rehab

how often does everyone go to rehab ? I go 4 hours a week and I'm wondering if that's too little ?

If you are referring to PT or OT (there are many other things that include rehab), most people get this during their inpatient rehab, and then may get a brief (4-6 week) intensive outpatient program of 2-3X weekly. Most insurances will not cover ongoing therapy for maintenance, so there would have to be ongoing functional improvement potential and actual gains in self-care to justify this. Many insurances (esp. HMOs) have a life-time therapy benefit of a certain number of days or visits as well.

A good home program is sufficient for most people. A good PT or OT will help you set this up so that you are independent in your ongoing exercise needs and can do this away from the hospital or clinic.

(KLD)

I've just finished with mine. Bleh, MORE time on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    If you are referring to PT or OT (there are many other things that include rehab), most people get this during their inpatient rehab, and then may get a brief (4-6 week) intensive outpatient program of 2-3X weekly. Most insurances will not cover ongoing therapy for maintenance, so there would have to be ongoing functional improvement potential and actual gains in self-care to justify this. Many insurances (esp. HMOs) have a life-time therapy benefit of a certain number of days or visits as well.

A good home program is sufficient for most people. A good PT or OT will help you set this up so that you are independent in your ongoing exercise needs and can do this away from the hospital or clinic.

(KLD)

Home programs aren't covered by my blue cross/blue shield because I'm able to go to a rehab facility. I do PT 4 hours a week, at northeast rehab. learnig how to walk in braces, gaining strength. I'll cut it to 2 hours a week over the summer I think. I have up to 100 hours a year with a rehab thereapist and can petition for more. Just wondering if I should be doing less or more ? Everyone else I have talked to at my rehab goes every day....outpatient. Seems extreme to me.

By a home program, I mean an exercise regimen you do on your own...no PT, no OT, just you.

Have you looked into one of the intensive post-rehab exercise programs like Project Walk, the Neuro Institute, Kennedy Krieger Institute or similar programs? If your insurance is this generous, perhaps they would fund a program like that.

(KLD)