Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nasty stomach ache

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    YIKES Stormie!!!
    My first thought when you say that you BOTH seem to have gotten food poisoning from diff fast food places locally is...where do they get their produce from? Contact the local dept of health. Let them know, b/c if you don't report it then they have no record and they can't follow the trends and therefored can't track it if there's a problem from a supplier. Remember a few yrs ago when all of Polk County had tainted produce in their fast food restaurants?
    Ditto, Stormie. Let the health department know so they can track a pattern if indicated by more cases of food poisoning. Public service, good citizenship & all that good stuff.
    "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
    and sometimes I just sets.
    "

Otis Redding I think

Hi Stormie,

Is it possible that there was some undercooked fish in that Taco Bell salad?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

bob...it was a taco salad. it just had lettuce, cheese, very little meat, salsa, sour cream. we both made fun of how small it was and said we wouldn't be getting one of those anytime soon. not knowing what jim was in store for that next day. it really is a scary thing...i'm picky to begin with with food. pretty soon i'm gonna be afraid to go out.

he's still feeling like crap...says he has no energy. he drank a protein drink and his yogurt this morning. urine is back to being clear...thank goodness. i guess he'll need a day or 2 longer than i did. his color is better though and he's being a bit grouchy...ssshhhhh i know he's feelin better...lol

thanks guys for all the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by stormie427
    bob...it was a taco salad. it just had lettuce, cheese, very little meat, salsa, sour cream. we both made fun of how small it was and said we wouldn't be getting one of those anytime soon. not knowing what jim was in store for that next day. it really is a scary thing...i'm picky to begin with with food. pretty soon i'm gonna be afraid to go out.

he's still feeling like crap...says he has no energy. he drank a protein drink and his yogurt this morning. urine is back to being clear...thank goodness. i guess he'll need a day or 2 longer than i did. his color is better though and he's being a bit grouchy...ssshhhhh i know he's feelin better...lol

thanks guys for all the advice!
    Hi Stormie,

I fear those salad bars because of the bad press many of them receive. For the most part it's uncooked food and you never know who's doing the preparation. And it appears as though Taco Bell prepares the whole salad for you so you can't dig down deep for the fresher, less exposed to air, food components at the salad bar.

I never buy those pre-cut fruit salads they sell at the grocery stores anymore. For one, you're forced to eat them fast so they don't go bad on ya and secondly, you don't know how long that knife that the fella is using to cut up all that fruit with has been setting around at room temperature. Or how many times he's dropped it onto the filthy floor. Or whether he's washing his hands or the outside of the fruit properly. There was a cantaloupe "recall" or warning from Mexico or Guatemala because many of the melons were infected with E.coli. The overworked harvesters don't get a bathroom break so just "go" in the fields and that can contaminate the outside of the fruit. After reading about that I most certainly scrub the outside of all "fresh" fruit before I eat it.

About the only "outside" food that I trust is pizza. It's cooked in a 600 degree oven so should be hot enough to kill all bacteria. Just make sure you tip the delivery guy or gal well to assure that it doesn't get spat upon or worse the next time he or she makes a delivery!

And when I cook at home or heat stuff up in the microwave I tend to overheat or overcook the food just to be on the safe side. As SCIs our GI tract is hard enough to figure out and keep under control without a massive invasion from some food poisoning source.

I'm glad that Jim is feeling a bit better.... that must have been one tough bacteria type/strain that you but especially Jim got infected with.

I once put some frozen chicken (stupid me... no plate under it!) in the refrigerator to thaw out. Well what I didn't realize at the time was that it was directly above a box of Rich's Eclaires. I did notice that a little blood had trickled down onto the Rich's Eclair box but didn't think that any of it had contaminated the inside of the clear plastic container. How wrong I was. What a mess I had here for 2 days.... I even had to delay a visit from my cousin for a day who was flying in from Hawaii. But who can resist a Rich's Eclaire!!??

The little thing I wrote about undercooked fish was actually a small jab at my bud Jukespin!
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Yikes Stormie! What a crappy ( ) day for you guys. Two poop stories for you (I see your poop story and raise you one .... )

Chad got food poisoning on our honeymoon of all things. We ate separate foods because I have celiac disease and cannot eat a wide variety of things, such as pizza. He ate pizza that day and later that night the gates of ass-hell opened up. It was UNBELIEVABLE. I was horrified because I had to change the bed linens 4 times in 4 hours ... kept having to call the hotel staff to bring more. They asked each time if they could take the old ones for us, and I squirmed and said "uhhhh, no, maybe later" because I went and threw them away in the garbage cans outside!!! (I pity the poor person who had to empty those bins .... omg).

Chad one time got the runs from starting on an antibiotic. Of course, we were driving back from a relative's wedding and were in the middle of absolutely nowhere when suddenly the van started to stink. And not like flowers! We pulled over on the side of the road, I turned him in his chair along with his mom .... his PCA simply RAN from the van (no joke!) and we shoveled s**t for a good 15 minutes. We had to totally undress him and redress him, clean him, all while IN his chair on the side of the road. It was horrible. We ditched all the clothes and mess at the next rest stop garbage can. (this is a pattern you see? )

And lastly, I used to BE the person at the State Health Dept who investigated (with others) food borne illness outbreaks. A) never each at a buffet and b) it is always the ice or the lettuce. And C) cooking it to a billion degrees won't help if the server touchs it post-cooking and s/he has Norwalk, Hep B, E. coli (from touching, say raw beef, in another area of the kitchen), campolybacter, salmonella .... the list goes on. I once got food poisoning WHILE I was the outbreak investigator. That poor restaurant ... I shut 'em down for 3 days I was so mad!!!!

Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager