Thread: sore help please

sore help please

I have developed a sore in the area where my leg and butt meet, right in the crease. It is not very deep at this time. I have been sleeping on my side lately at night. The question is, should I leave the sore exposed at night and allow the ceiling fan air to hit it, or keep it covered? Thanku

"I will drive the lane,
    I will drain the three,
    I will finger roll,
    but the one thing I will not do is FADE AWAY"

Another related question...would saltwater work for sore healing? I'm just remembering my days at the shore and how quickly the water would heal cuts...

"I will drive the lane,
    I will drain the three,
    I will finger roll,
    but the one thing I will not do is FADE AWAY"

So the sore is open? The first layer of skin is off? If it is, the best thing is to keep it covered and moist. You are right about salt water or saline. This is something you or your family can do right now. To make a batch of sterile saline (although it does not need to be sterile) boil one quart of water and add 2 teaspoons of salt. You can put the homemade saline in a clean bottle. Let it cool and moisten a gauze square with it. Wring out any excess moisture. Apply this to the opening only (not the surrounding skin or it may cause further damage) and tape in place with another dressing. Change this once in the morning and once at night. You can also purchase commercially prepared saline at your local pharmacy over the counter.

If you notice it getting deeper, or if there is increased drainage, or a foul odor, call your MD and have it examined.

In the meantime, look at possible sources of pressure or irriation to the area and remove those sources. Laying more on your side will help. Do your pressure reliefs every 30 minutes when sitting up. Make sure to watch your diet and fluid intake. Including more protein and foods with Vitamin C will help. Taking a multiple vitamin with zinc sulfate will also help. You should check with your MD first to make sure there are no interactions with any of the other meds you may be taking. Keep the skin around it as clean as possible. PLG