Thread: Quickie Shark Questions

Smile Quickie Shark Questions

Hey guys. I'm getting ready to buy a quickie shark and just wanted to ask a few questions. First off, I'm a t4-t5 para. I've been looking at this website and it asks quite a few questions that I'm not sure about. http://www.spinlife.com/Shark-Handcy...roductID=76867

*What is better? verticle handles or horizontal?
    *How bout frame type? 7-speed or 3 X 9 which is $250 more.
    *And the footrests? I'm 5'10" I dont know if I need adjustable short or *adjustable long.
    *I imagine the higher priced front wheel is better? and the 26" rear wheel is better as well?
    *and the fixed fork and fork length? Whats that all about?

I'll be biking with my AB cousin who travels on his bike at 25mph. I'd like to try and keep up with him as much as possible. Thanks for any kind of help.
    Last edited by XYNaPSE; 05-25-2006 at 04:59 PM.

Hi, if you want to keep up with your cousin at 25 mph, good luck, you better be in shape because just top para handbikers can sustain such a speed. So you need the fastest bike possible:

- Vertical handles
    - 3 x 9 speed
    - Adjustable long footrest
    - the higher priced front wheel and 26" rear wheels
    - a fixed fork

And please buy from guys that know what they are talking about like bike-on.com. Why not a Shark S like here:

http://bike-on.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=52&id=539
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI
    Hi, if you want to keep up with your cousin at 25 mph, good luck, you better be in shape because just top para handbikers can sustain such a speed. So you need the fastest bike possible:

- Vertical handles
    - 3 x 9 speed
    - Adjustable long footrest
    - the higher priced front wheel and 26" rear wheels
    - a fixed fork

And please buy from guys that know what they are talking about like bike-on.com. Why not a Shark S like here:

http://bike-on.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=52&id=539
    Hi. Thanks for the help. I have looked at the Quickie Shark S but it is very expensive. Around $1000 more than the Quickie Shark. Is it that much of a difference to be worth the money. I am in great shape. I suppose it would take me awhile to get used to using it for long distances but I'm not worried about it. Do you think I would see a big enough difference in speed to want to spend the extras $1000? I mean they look exactly the same. I noticed the S was a few lbs lighter. I also checked out the order form and there is a lot more options. Like the Shimano Ultegra Gear type($250) or the Sram (no charge) and the 4-arm chain plate (no charge)or 5-arm chain plate ($60). I guess the options that cost money mean more speed.

Don't forget that many high performance options at a charge on the regular Shark comes at no charge on the Shark S, so on your website if you put a better gear system (3 x 9), better front wheel and tire, 26" rear wheels, you come up to a total of 2 389$, compared to the Shark S that comes with those options free at 2 695 $, the difference now just 306$.

ah. Ok. I thought I would have to add those in as well. So I guess since they come with the Shark-S as standard I would be better off with that. Great. Thanks for the help. I saw a handcycle help form on bike-on.com that I'm going to fill out. I guess they'll be able to help me with the rest. Thanks again for the help and I'll post some pics up in the sports forum whenever I get it.

You're welcome!

Here is a link to me and mine:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...6&postcount=11