Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KLD RE: Cleaning catheters for reuse?

Blog Entries
    I'm going to West Roxbury in a few minutes to talk to my doc about bladder problems, I'll get her to change my scrip. Thanks for the information!!

Don
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 24 years post injury

Even with insurance it costs about $120.00 a month for 200 catheters, thats expensive sheesh people w/o ins i'd be washing them too. I do, also a Dr recommended zapping them in the microwave in a plastic bag for about 1 min then let dry.

I'm T5 complete, and I don't use a new catheter every time. I have gone literally months using the same catheter. I simply run hot water through it and over it for a few minutes, shake it and store it in an empty garlic salt plastic container after folding it over (making sure I don't kink it). That's it, no soap, or anything. Maybe once in awhile I'll pour rubbing alcohol into the container and shake it up and let is sit for a few hours, but I only do that two three times a year.

I haven't had a UTI in 20 years that needed any antibiotics. I realize I've been very lucky, and I knock on wood every day, but now I'm starting to swap 'em out every month or two as I'm gettin' older. I hate it when that happens.

I recently had to take a course of Cipro after a botched baclofen pump operation, and it was the first time I've taken Cipro or any other abx since my injury 24 years ago.

Sounds like we've both been lucky, let's hope for the best in the future. I can't see charging insurance for a new catheter every time unless I'm getting UTIs.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Yup. If they're not selling something to you, that means they're selling you to someone else. It's all for profit somehow.

Personally, I like reusing catheters for several reasons, including my carbon footprint. Try to imagine how much energy and waste your catheters, wrapping, packaging, shipping, manufacturing, etc. produces and uses. 200 catheters x 12 months x 40+ years = a lot of wasted material and energy. All I waste is a little soap and water every couple of months. And a handful of catheters per year to replace ones that go bad.

I'm not attacking anyone - no need to get defensive. You do whatever is best for you and your health. I'm just explaining my methods and resons.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I don't reuse but have thought about it. One idea I had for sterilizing was using one of the following.http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AVENT-...630455&sr=8-30

Our boys got thrush from breast feeding and the doctor recommended on for sterilizing bottles. After using it I wondered if I could just throw a handful of catheters in it. It gets the bottles pretty freaking hot and is quick and easy (4 min tops in micro). Of course mom told me to wait until boys were done with it to try if I were to.

Just a thought for those who sterilize.

So expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I believe Medicare pays for 200 catheters per month. That's what those commercials are for, to drum up business so they can charge Medicare.
    Im am new to Medicare well, and SCI. I have a way overactive bladder and was blowing through 230 caths a month! Medicare pays for 200 but, you still have to pay 20 % of that & they pay 80%. My cath supply company Rocky Mountain Medical was not charging me for the extra 30 and I still pay $83.00 (20%co-ins) per month for Caths! I'm sick of this!

I met a guy yesterday also a quad, he said he uses one cath for a 24 hour period, rinses it in between uses with hot water. Throws that away, uses a fresh one the next day. These are the disposable caths, I use the short ones during the day and long at night. I was thinking of trying this with my during the day caths. Maybe swab them with alcohol too.

I also got Botox in my bladder a couple weeks ago, what a game changer!!!! I cannot stress enough how much this has helped me! No more bladder explosions or waking up in puddles! It's a miracle! This should save me some money too!
    Last edited by Madbarbee; 07-29-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Your physician should be able to appeal the Medicare reg for you. However, that being said, are you on any medication to help control the bladder spasticity? That should help you to decrease the number of cath's you are using.

i would recommend that you go this route first before reusing the catheters. Research has shown that it is not safe except in an emergency.

ckf

I wonder how hard water affects the cleaning process KLD/CKF? I don't wash as my insurance covers mine, but I can't imaging that calcium deposits would be a good thing.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Properly cleaned and dried, I have never seen any evidence that there is any calcium deposit left on straight catheters reused for intermittent catheterization. Regardless, current practice standards are to avoid catheter reuse in favor of use of a new, sterile catheter for each catheterization.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

You can't wash a hydrophilic. All others types have caused me noticeable microtrauma. I'm sticking with the hydrophilic type.

Correct. There is no way to properly reuse hydrophilic catheters, and this procedure is definitely not OK for indwelling catheters either.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.