Our center has the following recommendations:
Soft, non-latex catheter (Rochester Personal Cath) for those with good hand function, size #14 fr. For those with limited hand function, we allow the stiffer plastic catheters by Conveen or Mentor, still #14 fr.
Men should lubricate the first 6-8 inches of the catheter with water-soluble lubricant (be sure to use a separate tube from the one you use for bowel care!!!). Lubricant is optional for females.
4 new catheters per month are provided.
1. Wash with plain soap and water when washing hands after cath (avoid scented, deoderant or antiseptic soap).
2. Shake dry and lay on clean dry towel, fan folding over each catheter after cleaning through the day.
3. Do not use any chemicals to clean catheters. Never store wet catheters in an air-tight container.
4. Put this "set" of catheters aside for a full 24-48 hour of air drying.
5. Once fully dry, the catheters can be put in a paper (not plastic) new lunch bag for carrying in the community in your wheelchair backpack. Stick in some lubricant and handi-wipes and you are set to go (carry a leg bag or urinal for draining when you cannot get to a toilet or sink).
6. Replace catheters when stiff or cloudy.