Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attendant stealing I think

attendant stealing I think

Hired a new attendant.

I could have sworn I had about 10-15 dollars more in my wallet when I went to pay her.

I can set her up and know exactly what I have and leave it out as bait again.

How do you deal with this?

She only comes 2 mornings a week and it was a chore finding someone decent for this position.

Its a shame if she actually is b/c otherwise she's great, but obviously I can't have someone stealing from me, and I'd rather not ignore the situation.

If I catch her my approach would be to tell her I've released any anger or hurt feelings this has caused me. Why does she feel the need to take from me? Is she having trouble paying her bills? They have programs to help single moms don't take from me. What kind of example does she want to set for her children? I wouldn't want to put her on the defense. I also know people at her main source of employment.. I'd ask her if she wants the reputation of being a thief.

sorry to hear of your trouble
    A girl I hired in 2003 took my bank card to the store went shopping, then filled up with gas. Store was on video. I prosecuted.
    little did I know that she gave me a fradulant police report at time of hire. Guess I was desperate. Found out that she had just gotten off probation for previous credit fraud. She only got a year in prison, with no early out. I think what sealed her year in prison, was my giving a testimony at her sentencing. I'm not real good at trust after that. It really messed me up psychologically, because she knew "the system" and how to appeal.

you got to watch. try to keep your wallet/purse in the same room as you. just try to keep an eye on things, see if you notice anything else since your really not "sure" if thats where the money is you think is gone. pay by check. if youre help can't cash a check, then they generally are "no good". keep us posted. I hope things improve, and don't back down.

If she's a thief, then there's no way I would trust her ever again. I would terminate her employment without discussion. It doesn't matter if she's a single mom struggling to make ends meet. Stealing is wrong. Especially stealing from a disabled person.
    Daniel

Again, this is where a contract ahead of time, and a background check, are invaluable. The contract can spell out those conditions for termination (such as number of unexcused absences/tardiness, theft, etc.).

I would never accept a "background check" provided by the employee. It is not expensive (in most cases) to get a background check done prior to your final hire decision. My next door neighbor is a PI, and she does these for many of my clients for less than $100. We did them on my mother's PCAs prior to hire as well.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by ouch
    Hired a new attendant.

I could have sworn I had about 10-15 dollars more in my wallet when I went to pay her.

I can set her up and know exactly what I have and leave it out as bait again.

How do you deal with this?

She only comes 2 mornings a week and it was a chore finding someone decent for this position.

Its a shame if she actually is b/c otherwise she's great, but obviously I can't have someone stealing from me, and I'd rather not ignore the situation.

If I catch her my approach would be to tell her I've released any anger or hurt feelings this has caused me. Why does she feel the need to take from me? Is she having trouble paying her bills? They have programs to help single moms don't take from me. What kind of example does she want to set for her children? I wouldn't want to put her on the defense. I also know people at her main source of employment.. I'd ask her if she wants the reputation of being a thief.
    If you are able to obtain solid proof of theft, I'd be much tougher than that. We should have absolutely no patience for that type of behavior, after all, it is a crime.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

as you said, set her up... put 3-4 $10 bills and stay away to give her oppurtunity. of course, periodically check. if you have no $$ in your wallet, there's no telling what else she may be taking instead...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Now this is where you could use our modern technology...the hidden video cam.

I'd set my handbag or wallet with 2 marked ($5.00) bills in it within full view and just wait....long enough to get at least two of that individual's taking the money. And say absolutely nothing.

Then call your attorney and give him the goods and take (her/him) to court. Your revenge would be it she was working for you the day the warrant is issued and they put her in handcuffs right there in front of you.

Too too sweet!!!
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

If you have the equipment, I would do the video camera. If not, then set her up and see what happens. Being a single mom, I can tell you that I have struggled financially more than some people can imagine, trying to be home when the kids are and taking lower paying jobs in order to do so. I have never, NEVER, even considered stealing as a means of paying my bills. There is no excuse for be dishonest. Press charges against her when you get evidence. It may be the best thing that ever happened to her, maybe it will get her life back on the right track. Just not in YOUR life.
    www.weitemeyer.net

Keep an eye on more than your money. You may wish to check your meds, too. If you take any opiates or benzos, she coulds easily trade those for cash to unscrupulous types or even take them herself if seh's prone to popping pills.

You may consider contacting your pharmacist about your prescriptions. If anyone attempts to refill any prescriptions early (assuming your PCAs run these errands for you), have your name flagged at the pharmacy. Ask your pharmacist to refuse refilling anything early and to contact you immediately if anyone tries early refills.

If you have an ATM card, try not to give your codes to anyone else if you can. If you need someone else to use this for you, try to only give the code to one person.

Also, check your credit reports once a month. A friend had a PCA secure all manner of credit in his name because he had great credit. She was the one going to his mailbox so she intercepted the new credit cards she had opened. He's working with detectives and the DA for prosecution of her for the thousands of dollars she racked up with those cards.

I had jewelry and medication stolen from me by a PCA several years ago. When I reported it, I was told there had never been any criminal charges with the woman while at the agency. I thought, "Whoopity doo!" I know what was taken from me and I know the timeframe when my stuff was taken. During that four hours, she had been the only one there.

I say set her up. Keep an eye on everything you possibly can in the interim. Also, start interviewing immediately for a replacement even before you catch her. Our intuition on these PCAs is usually spot on. If you think she took it from you, listen to your gut.

I wish you the very best.

I've thought about motion sensor activated video cams to keep an eye on them. They're not that expensive.