Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What all can a caregiver do for a college student?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    You mean his aunt.

No offense, mr_coffee, but you don't need a caregiver at all, in my opinion. Your aunt is already being too nice. You'll find time to party in college, and you'll find time to do your own laundry and grocery shopping. Or maybe you'll do what most college guys do, take laundry back home and eat and get leftovers while mom (or aunt) does laundry.

Seriously though, try toughening up on the stigma of being in a wheelchair for 30 minutes and clean your own dorm room, do your own laundry and do your own grocery shopping. It's not going to take that much time, and you'll feel better about it in the long run. I did it all myself and went to class, living alone, and all from a chair full-time, quad hands and all.
    ooooh you sound all fuentified........apart from the cleaning bit
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

To be honest, I was thinking along the same lines of Scorp ... but it's difficult to decide when you don't know someone else's sit-chee-ation.

It takes me a helluva lot longer to grocery shop, clean and do laundry than it does my quad friend who has a caregiver ... but I'd still rather do it on my own.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    ooooh you sound all fuentified........apart from the cleaning bit
    LOL, shuddup. Besides, I don't think mr_coffee is a "slackass." I think he works damn hard. He's just a young guy needing to cut the apron strings is all.

Seriously though, try toughening up on the stigma of being in a wheelchair for 30 minutes and clean your own dorm room, do your own laundry and do your own grocery shopping. It's not going to take that much time, and you'll feel better about it in the long run. I did it all myself and went to class, living alone, and all from a chair full-time, quad hands and all.
    Damn, I'm glad someone else said it -- I was afraid to "go there" . As a matter of fact, I was just talking to my wife about this very thread a few minutes before checking this site. Today is my 30 year anniversary of my accident and I was talking about some of the things Cory has talked about over the past year or so. Some of his decisions worry me over the long term...I feel like such an old fart, but I'm only 47.

First, I too feel he could do all of these things while in college, most of us did. Secondly, I think he spends way too much on those high-tech catheters and seems to me a big waste of money (I spend about $10/month and no UTI in years). Thirdly, the thing that worries me the most is the way he refuses to use a chair. Don't get me wrong. I'm no big fan of a chair, but there is a reality that always needs to be considered. I too was a young, very active, incomplete C4/5 quad. I walked a lot of places (mostly to girl's dorm rooms ) and I experienced many of the issues he's discussed about his legs and abdomen getting tired and his back arching. Over the years this arching really took its toll on my back and I finally ended up with herniated L4/5 discs. I had surgery, that didn't help. Believe it or not, this injury restricted my independance more profoundly than my C4/5 injury ever did. I worry the same thing might happen to Cory. If I were in Cory's shoes, I'd use a manual chair to do most of my everyday life things. Use it to get to/from places without getting overly tired. When I got there, I'd transfer into a regular chair, walk short distances using crutches, etc. I'd also work out using everything I could; walk, squat, situps, etc. so I could keep in good shape, but prevent any further injury. I know this isn't something Cory wants to hear though, so I've been hesitant to jump in. I'm really not trying to be all "fuenty", just my .02 cents. We each have to find our own way.

Besides, I don't think mr_coffee is a "slackass." I think he works damn hard. He's just a young guy needing to cut the apron strings is all.
    100% agree...
    Last edited by Davey; 05-28-2006 at 08:16 PM.

Mr. C I didn't see that you described your apartment. One bedroom or two? It may be too late for this year but, my suggestion is to get another student, preferably female(not sexist but they tend to care more) and have her live in the second BR rent free. Interview and hire them your self (with NO lease agreement mind you), give them a specific list of responsibilites, and you're set. Get someone that you don't mind spending time around, not someone with specific care-giving experience. Helping us out isn't rocket science, you can train almost anyone.

The price difference between a 1 and 2 BR apartment will be a very small price to pay for getting a full-time assistant, house-cleaner, errand-runner, etc.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein