Thread: Why is it getting worse?

Why is it getting worse?

I was told that pain eventually gets better but I am doing NOTHING to bother it. I'm sitting straight up in my bed with my back against the headboard and the pain wasn't that bad before noon and now it is outrageous. The pain isn't even in my spine/spinal cord... It's kind of in the middle area of both shoulderblades and my lower right and left back. My ribs are killing me especially by my right arm pit. Also, in my accident I broke every rib and the sternum and they have healed correctly. They were healed over 2 months ago and they STILL hurt. Especially the bottom two on both sides. If someone pokes them on accident I want to scream. Why is it that the pain gets better than on one day it gets worse? It has slowly been getting worse. I don't understand why my ribs still hurt even though they have healed. The areas of my back that hurt, why are they in pain when my cord and vertebrae was crushed?

Derek-
    Pain wise, you sound a lot like I did 4 months post. There were many days where just breathing was excruciatingly painful. I don't know the definitive answer, but I BELIEVE it's b/c your spinal cord is still in shock and the signals are so mixed up. Your body is still adjusting. I think it took at least six months before I could function without being in musculo-skeletal pain the majority of the time. I know this may sound like a stupid question,(but it wasn't until after I found CareCure that I found out) are you aware that there are different types of pain and that different meds work on them? ie: musculo-skeletal(darvocet, oxycodone, morphene, etc) & neuropathic(Neurontin, Topamax, Lyrica, Elavil, Cymbalta, some others i'm not sure of) ...I wonder if some of your body pain might be helped by the meds for neuropathic pain. What pain meds are you on right now? do you have a good physiatrist that is helping to manage your pain? They should be more than willing to help find something that would help manage your pain better.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......