Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone go camping?

ancientgimp just wondering what your trailer weight was i have a 33 foot but i'm afraid to tow it it weighs 10500

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    Oztent. Hardest part is staking it down. It comes down just as easy as setup.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLJcqf-fsjc
    Yeah i saw those tents when i was looking at option on google images, i got all excited until i saw the price :/

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Even though this thead is a bit old i though i would write here instead of starting a new one. I want to start camping again, which i haven't done since before my accident and wanted to know if anyone had some new tips? Or equipment that might come in handy.

I haven't got any equipment but thinking about getting a pop-up tent that can attach to a side of 3x3m (abt 10ftx10ft) gazebo like the pic attached and having a shower tent attached to the side for privacy and just have everything sitting on some rubber gym matting. I have single ensemble bed on wheels i was just going to put in the tent to sleep and then jump up in my shower commode chair in the morning go to the shower tent and just use a empty bucket and bio degradable garbage bag as a liner on a couple of bricks to go to the toilet in and also a second bucket of water in the tent to wash the dirt and sweat off me and then to clean-up underneath at the end.
    Once done i will just go back to bed, get dress, swap chairs and get up and get the bucket liner and dig a hole for it and bury it.

Does that sound like it will work? Also what am i overlooking?

In Oz the heat is bad atm so i'm a bit worried about over heating a bit during the day and sitting in the shower chair for up to an hour, i have power assist wheels and a free wheel so hopefully pushing around in my chair should be ok but hoping to find a flat spot on a river bank so i don't have to go too far to fish.
    I guess you should've specified camping or glamping? I wouldn't consider an accessible RV "camping", it's like traveling or glamping and limited to where you can go. The OzTent RV3 is perfect. It's easy, fits a cot(or 2), plenty of room for a commode or portable toilet, and still have room for your wheelchair.
    I like the thing you posted, what is it(brand)? You aussies get all the cool camping gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post
    ancientgimp just wondering what your trailer weight was i have a 33 foot but i'm afraid to tow it it weighs 10500
    I think ours was only 5000 - 6000 lbs, the Econoline 350 with a Hensley Hitch towed it with no problem.

ancientgimp thank you for the info

Tin Man, I don't have anything useful to contribute to answering your question--I was an active backpacker/camper/climber before I got hurt but have not camped since. I have to say, though, that your posting epitomizes my perception of the can-do attitude of Aussies. Before I retired, I was with a company that manufactured parts in the US for assembly at seven different sites around the world. For a comparison I liked to make, when we sent a shipment to Japan (a culture I deeply admire and respect) each part would be measured and if any were out of spec, we'd get a serious notice of concern about what to do. In contrast, I think we could send the Aussies a stick and a rock and get back something along the lines of "It's not what we expected, but we can make this work." Anyway, it sounds like you have a good plan for real camping (not the RV hijack) and you have the right attitude. After all, if we want it to stay easy, we'd stay home.

Sabrina in ft worth thry went to moab ut and camped then they got an asseable toy trailer and have camped in ut but out in the canyon lands I don/t know if she is in here or not but she is a para

we went dow the Colorado for a week but the guides just picked me up and carried me around

Tin Man: I don't know what the bugs are like In OZ, but in parts of the US they are crazy. I use a piece of netting in the door way that just hangs, with a little weight on the bottom. I can wheel past it and keep most of the bugs out. Also a bed net to keep them away in the night. I don't see your injury level. I'm a T6 and have a tough time rolling over in one sleeping bag. Two together or a double bag works.

Too all you elitists that call its "glamping" instead of camping if you're not in a tent. Spend a week in a tent in the rain. Gets old real fast. Plus mud or wet sand in a chair, dragged in a tent= no fun. I live in the woods (volunteer in forests and parks). I've seen a lot of miserable people when the weather changes from what you expected to crap. Be ready for the worst and appreciate the best.

Oztent. Hardest part is staking it down. It comes down just as easy as setup.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLJcqf-fsjc
    I got really excited about that tent until i saw the prices for them :/ , though maybe i can find one 2nd hand one for much cheaper. Would love if i could put my own tent up so i didn't have to sit back and watch someone else do it

I guess you should've specified camping or glamping? I wouldn't consider an accessible RV "camping", it's like traveling or glamping and limited to where you can go. The OzTent RV3 is perfect. It's easy, fits a cot(or 2), plenty of room for a commode or portable toilet, and still have room for your wheelchair.
    I like the thing you posted, what is it(brand)? You aussies get all the cool camping gear.
    I'm not sure i woud want the toilet in the sleeping tent but they are different the best tents i've seen, it's just too bad they are so expensive at over $1100 at the local shop online. That tent was one i saw at another stores here, google told me it's called Wanderer Gazebo Hub Dome tent and it's not too bad for around $130 but you need the Gazebo to attach it on to. I just google Gazebo tent attachment in images and a few different options came up so there is a few brands out there.