Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: anyone go camping?

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    Tin Man, I don't have anything useful to contribute to answering your question--I was an active backpacker/camper/climber before I got hurt but have not camped since. I have to say, though, that your posting epitomizes my perception of the can-do attitude of Aussies. Before I retired, I was with a company that manufactured parts in the US for assembly at seven different sites around the world. For a comparison I liked to make, when we sent a shipment to Japan (a culture I deeply admire and respect) each part would be measured and if any were out of spec, we'd get a serious notice of concern about what to do. In contrast, I think we could send the Aussies a stick and a rock and get back something along the lines of "It's not what we expected, but we can make this work." Anyway, it sounds like you have a good plan for real camping (not the RV hijack) and you have the right attitude. After all, if we want it to stay easy, we'd stay home.
    If i had the money i would have the RV lol, it would differently take the stress out of trying to find accessible accommodation specially when travelling. I guess that's why i'm concern that i'm overlooking something here with camping because i always have so many issues with hotels and accommodation with accessibility issues i'm thinking it can't be this straight forward? But i guess there is only one way to find out...

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Tin Man: I don't know what the bugs are like In OZ, but in parts of the US they are crazy. I use a piece of netting in the door way that just hangs, with a little weight on the bottom. I can wheel past it and keep most of the bugs out. Also a bed net to keep them away in the night. I don't see your injury level. I'm a T6 and have a tough time rolling over in one sleeping bag. Two together or a double bag works.

Too all you elitists that call its "glamping" instead of camping if you're not in a tent. Spend a week in a tent in the rain. Gets old real fast. Plus mud or wet sand in a chair, dragged in a tent= no fun. I live in the woods (volunteer in forests and parks). I've seen a lot of miserable people when the weather changes from what you expected to crap. Be ready for the worst and appreciate the best.
    Yeah the bugs are bad with the flying insects, sand flies and mosquitoes so i will definitely have to bring the spray and netting to keep them at bay. There would be no way i could get into a sleeping bag as i its hard enough trying to get the blankets off my legs in the morning, so as i will have the single bed the first time i will just bring some blankets as the nights should pretty good for the next few months.

With rain i'm hoping having a gazebo with the tent will give me a bit more space and not go stir crazy as i wouldn't be able to push around outside with the mud. More than likely if it rained more than 1/2 day we would just pack up and go home as i'm not that keen lol

I like a sleeping bag better than blankets. I have a nice large bag and I just leave it unzipped. I fold it back, plop on my cot then pull the top part of the bag over me.

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I thought the only real camping was backcountry camping?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    49 year old female
    married
    chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder

Now that is cool, though i would need a few more horses for all my gear lol. I am hoping to jump back on a horse this year after reading about a few others on this site doing it with special saddles and seeing that picture with the trail going into the scrub i think i really need to get my act together and start organising it

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I like a sleeping bag better than blankets. I have a nice large bag and I just leave it unzipped. I fold it back, plop on my cot then pull the top part of the bag over me.
    I use to sleep just in a swag all the time when crashing anywhere away from home and they were great specially in the cold but ruled it out for camping thinking it would be too hard. However what you said makes sense so i might have to look into them a bit more i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I use to sleep just in a swag all the time when crashing anywhere away from home and they were great specially in the cold but ruled it out for camping thinking it would be too hard. However what you said makes sense so i might have to look into them a bit more i think.
    I still love the swag . So easy to set up and pack up . Usually camping for me involves a day riding the motor bike or 4wding . Then some drinking so falling into a swag is easy .