Thread: Questions for high quads

Questions for high quads

Need to know the best type of seating systems for when wheelchairs recline. A friend gets sales people or incompetent government funded assessments and subsequently inferior equipment.

Want to know where to get info or to buy avante guarde seating systems. Know how to get it paid for (be real nice) and any c-1 out and about needs the safest, most reliable and comfortable.

Have no Idea about them myself, please help.

Can you be a C1? The C2 I know has a TDX5 with roho and invacare back. But the chair tilts, reclines, and leg rests elevate.

Any help? Funding was easy..... We're Canadian....

Cris-
    I assume the FL BSCIP is being of absolutely NO help in this case? I know they've been less than stellar in helping me, but some people have actually gotten them to be helpful when necesary.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Yes, BSCIP is who was responsible for her care, aides etc. and that’s when I became involved. Unfortunately they’re the incompetent government officials involved with the chair and it is handled differently, by other people.

So its time to get the right people together again, but I need to know what the objective is. ‘Labak’ sp? made the original system or ‘laidback’?.

The priorities from my understanding are, back synchronization, no sheering, and insuring the arms don’t fall off during recline.

Labac is the seating system we use most often. It is a tilt-in-space system that can be put on many different power wheelchairs. It is a division of Graham-Field, which bought out E&J a number of years ago.

What kind of control system is your friend using? I am assuming at C1 it is either sip and puff or head control, although there is also the newer palate control system.

Even if your friend is not a veteran, I would try calling one of the SCI physical therapists at the Tampa VA. They have a lot of high tetraplegic patients, and will know the best vendors and systems available in your area.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Cris
    Yes, BSCIP is who was responsible for her care, aides etc. and that’s when I became involved. Unfortunately they’re the incompetent government officials involved with the chair and it is handled differently, by other people.

So its time to get the right people together again, but I need to know what the objective is. ‘Labak’ sp? made the original system or ‘laidback’?.

The priorities from my understanding are, back synchronization, no sheering, and insuring the arms don’t fall off during recline.
    Cris-
    I know and can sympathize with her and you on how incompetent they are...I won't go into all the probs they caused me or how they nearly killed one of my friends...I don't know if it would help at all, but since you are in Melbourne, try calling Leona from Browning's Health Care. She's one of the top people there(i think owner actually) and when I was having trouble w/BSCIP getting me something that would work for my shower, she drove up to Orlando to meet with me and see my bathroom. She was very helpful and REALLY knew how to get the equipment I NEEDED and the right stuff done w/the idiots at BSCIP in order for me to get it. If you'd like her phone number, let me know & I'll PM it to you.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......